• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading question. About folds/air pockets

9 posts in this topic

First of all I hope this is the right thread for this question but I’ve been wondering this for a very long time now. 

With the picture I’ve attached, is this a defect and does this effect the grade of ur comic books. Like are these books able to get 9.8 or even a 9.9 + because of this? Could this knock a book into a 9.6? Or is there even a chance a perfect 10 could be obtainable if ur book is folded/looks like this? Because besides this these books are easy 9.8s from my past CGC submission experience. 

I've submitted books in the past that weren’t as severe as this that have come back as 9.8 but I was wondering what the CGC forums had say. Some have even suggested in pressing these books because of the picture shown as well. 

(I know a 9.9 or a 10 is highly unlikely, I’m just wondering if it’s possible nonetheless) 

14D43AA7-305E-4DAF-84E5-553A1EC0910E.jpeg

16 hours ago, hachimaull said:

I've submitted books in the past that weren’t as severe as this that have come back as 9.8 but I was wondering what the CGC forums had say. Some have even suggested in pressing these books because of the picture shown as well. 

Since the books were manufactured this way, it shouldn't affect the grade...

3 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

Since the books were manufactured this way, it shouldn't affect the grade...

I’m aware of that, so r ur saying even if they are manufactured this way a 9.9 is possible? I guess I’m more concerned with books 2 and 4  in the picture if u go from the top down. Since that pocket is huge and wavey. 

also could the waveyness of these new books differentiate a 9.8 from a 9.9, like If I pressed the book would that bump it up? 

I just don’t understand these slight issues with modern books and how to grade or really deal with it yet. I do intend to send these 4 books shown above to CGC in about 2 weeks so I just don’t want to be surprised and regret not pressing them. Cuz they r solid 9.8 books but is a 9.9 even possible with a fold like that ?

56 minutes ago, hachimaull said:

I’m aware of that, so r ur saying even if they are manufactured this way a 9.9 is possible? I guess I’m more concerned with books 2 and 4  in the picture if u go from the top down. Since that pocket is huge and wavey. 

also could the waveyness of these new books differentiate a 9.8 from a 9.9, like If I pressed the book would that bump it up? 

I just don’t understand these slight issues with modern books and how to grade or really deal with it yet. I do intend to send these 4 books shown above to CGC in about 2 weeks so I just don’t want to be surprised and regret not pressing them. Cuz they r solid 9.8 books but is a 9.9 even possible with a fold like that ?

Just keep in mind that you want to submit books that are as nice as possible; CGC will have to decide if they're worthy of a 9.8 or higher. Good luck...  :wishluck:

5 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Incorrect sub-forum. 2c

Where should I post this then?

Maybe I should rephrase my question. 
if my books a solid 9.8, would this effect the grade By making it a 9.6 and is a 9.9 possible with the book looking like this ?

1 minute ago, hachimaull said:

Where should I post this then?

Maybe I should rephrase my question. 
if my books a solid 9.8, would this effect the grade By making it a 9.6 and is a 9.9 possible with the book looking like this ?

This particular sub-forum is to ask for estimate grades of your specific comic books.

This sub-forum would've been more appropriate:

Comic Book Grading and Restoration Issues

Just FYI.