• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver Age Sub-Mariner comics & appearances
6 6

470 posts in this topic

I was photographing some books for the Thrifty Grocer thread in the Golden Age section, and I happened across some Bob Powell art on an Atlas Subby story that always made me cringe a little bit. Now Bob Powell was a fine artist, but somehow, he was unaware that the Sub-mariner had pointed ears and drew the entire story that way (which made me recall that his Subby story in Men's Adventures #27 was the same way). Flash forward to yesterday, and I'm talking to a buddy about that and the fact that I've never really heard anyone mention that the Wally Wood rendition of Subby on the classic cover (and story) of Daredevil #7 likewise depicts a rounded ear Subby. Now, I'd be CERTAIN that people have noticed it before, but can't recall anyone mentioning it. Now, that has sent me down a rabbit hole of investigating how other artists have drawn Subby (just looking into it right now actually). This should be fun!!! :bigsmile: Below the DD #7 cover is some art from the Atlas issue of Human Torch #36 with Subby art by Bob Powell.

Daredevil 7.jpg

Human Torch 36 3.jpg

Human Torch 36 4.jpg

Edited by Frisco Larson

On 10/25/2022 at 8:57 AM, Readcomix said:

Maybe this is the right place to ask this question: does anybody know the first time Subby and Spidey met? I can’t think of an earlier meeting than DD #77 but that seems late. 

They were both at Reed and Sue's wedding!!

image.thumb.jpeg.e4d3d3182aa50d00acfc59a41dab78de.jpeg

Edited by Sweet Lou 14