• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many pressers do we have here?

Have you ever had a book pressed?  

369 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever had a book pressed?

216 posts in this topic

I said no, cause i believe that it is restoration.

I also think CGC's stance is insane. Part of the reason that they wont list pressing on the label is that it cant be detected consistently. Apparantly, trimming cant either. tonofbricks.gif

this is pretty chilling. If all the votes were honestly cast, RIGHT HERE in the hotbed of anti-pressing hysteria, we have two out of every five posters stating that they press books!!! 14 yes, 21 no. thats 40% of us.

I say all who voted YES stand up and be counted.

I voted NO

well, if you go with the idea that nothing has been added to the book, and that the book is still 100 % original, (no pieces added or color touch), then I'd have to say that there is nothing wrong with pressing a book, I do respect those collector's who want no part of it, and don't want their book altered in any way, but in reality, if a book has small spine dents or lite creases, then it has already been altered from it's original state, coming off the newstand, and pressing is a form of returning the book to its "original" apperance.

having said that, I have not had a book pressed...............not yet...

The only book I have that I would consider pressing is a VG copy of BATMAN #47 that would definitely benefit by having a couple of non color breaking creases ironed out. Having said that, I have no intention of selling the book, and if I did, I would disclose the pressing.

well, if you go with the idea that nothing has been added to the book, and that the book is still 100 % original, (no pieces added or color touch), then I'd have to say that there is nothing wrong with pressing a book, I do respect those collector's who want no part of it, and don't want their book altered in any way, but in reality, if a book has small spine dents or lite creases, then it has already been altered from it's original state, coming off the newstand, and pressing is a form of returning the book to its "original" apperance.

thanx. cause THIS is exactly why so many of us consider pressing to be a form of restoration! You have returned the book to its original (but lost) appearance, in other words, 'restored' its former appearance.

thanx. cause THIS is exactly why so many of us consider pressing to be a form of restoration! You have returned the book to its original (but lost) appearance, in other words, 'restored' its former appearance.

well, the word restoration by definition, To bring back to an original condition (looked it up myself) is really vague, I mean if you bought a (back issue) comic and it had a fleck of dust or a piece of clothing lint on it, and you blew it off or wiped it off, by what your saying would be "Restored",, I've always had the belief that as long as the book is 100 % original, (no pieces added, color touch, glue, etc. )then your still buying that original book that came off the presses back in whatever year, if a dealer sold me a book that was pressed and didn't disclose it, I don't think I would really care, I mean I've still got a great "original" copy that looks great, I do however think a dealer should always disclose if the book has been pressed, that way those who have an ill will towards it will know not to buy it...

also look at what is and what isn't "original" was the dirt and creases on the book when it was printed ?? No, so no matter which side you fall on this issue, if your buying a back issue comic (especially GA) then your never going to have an "Original condition" book.

If you ironed your shirt, is it restored ?? not to me,

If you mend a tear in the shirt, then yes..

youre just splitting hairs, but at this point we wont convince each other. First, using dictionary definitions is fine but often meaningless. We all tend to use words in ways that dont agree with their "official" meanings. And as the language changes, it takes time for dictionaries to catch up. And in this case, they never will start including shaded entries geared toward comic collectors.

But even USING the definition as you quoted it I still dont see a problem. WHen press out folds that were caused by mishandling, you return the book to its former condition (restoring it to that condition, restoring its former beauty). And if you are pressing out printere's folds, it is more obviously Restoration as you are restoring the book to condition it NEVER attained, having been created imperfectly in printing. You are IMPROVING the book closer to its "ideal" pristine condition it never attained naturally by utilizing UN-natural methods and equipment.

The dust analogy is always trotted out, but its a slim defense, IMO. We all know the vast diference in effort and intent betwween wiping or blowing dust off a cover and sending it out to be pressed. Well, I do

I'm not trying to convince you, I think what made me come down on the side of pressing is not resto was listening to Matt Nelson and Gary Carter on two separate "Comic Zone" shows that Metropolis has on world talk radio, it was a very intelligent and enlighting conversation for me, although there are many different types of restoration, they basically pointed out that how is basic pressing (not taking the book apart) any different than putting a book under a stack of other books for a period of time, and letting it flatten out, even Vincent Zurzolo, the shows host agreed with them, and I can't remember who brought it up, by one of the guests mentioned that the mile high books were in huge stacks on the floor of Edgar Church's basement for 35+ years, so are the books that were on the bottom of these stacks restored ? pressed ?? it really brought this whole "issue" into focus for me.....

okay. but here too, we have had many in depth and heartfelt discussion on what is pressing and what isnt. And generally speaking, the big tipping point in changing minds is when one who talks about the stacks of Church books as also being a form of pressing learn that the types of pressing we are REALLY talking about that is hurting the hobby IS NOT PLACING A COMIC INSIDE A BIG 'pants pressing device" to simulate years of being under a pile of comics (like Church books)....

....but, rather, taking a tacking iron (utilizing heat and pressure) and using it locally on creases on covers etc to eliminate specific damaged areas... more like 'cosmetic surgery' than an assembly line approach to flattening books haphazardly all over all at once. Placing a comic with creases on its cover under 200 other comics for 20 years WILL NOT make the crease disappear. The book will have a nice overall flat unopened feel to it, but STILL have the same creases Edgar bought it with or caused in handling it. And CGC will downgrade for the creases.

see the difference? Certain dealers (like Jason Ewert should he actually press books or get them pressed) isnt just putting weights on them for awhile. They identifies nice comics that were downgraded for specific flaws that they determine can be 'fixed' ( or restored, if you will) and have them pressed out, then REGRADED, and sold for way more money. It is this act of taking a comic that has been graded already and "making it better" that most of us agree can only be referred to as 'undisclosed restoration" and NOT comparable to placing ones comics under a stack of books for a period of time.

this is pretty chilling. If all the votes were honestly cast, RIGHT HERE in the hotbed of anti-pressing hysteria, we have two out of every five posters stating that they press books!!! 14 yes, 21 no. thats 40% of us.

I voted NO

I obviously voted yes.

....but, rather, taking a tacking iron (utilizing heat and pressure) and using it locally on creases on covers etc to eliminate specific damaged areas... more like 'cosmetic surgery' than an assembly line approach to flattening books haphazardly all over all at once. Placing a comic with creases on its cover under 200 other comics for 20 years WILL NOT make the crease disappear. The book will have a nice overall flat unopened feel to it, but STILL have the same creases Edgar bought it with or caused in handling it. And CGC will downgrade for the creases.

A professional press job won't get rid of those creases either. If you have a non-color-breaking bend in a comic and you leave it on the bottom of a stack for 10 years, the bend WILL disappear. It just takes a lot longer than when you relax the fibers with heat and mild humidity.

I voted NO

I obviously voted yes.

Just to be clear, the question wasn't "who presses books?" The question was "who has had a book pressed?"

I voted NO

I obviously voted yes.

Just to be clear, the question wasn't "who presses books?" The question was "who has had a book pressed?"

so you have commissioned pressing to be done to one of your books, and did not do it yourself, is that correct? You clarified your first post so I want to be clear on what you are now saying you have done.

and, any dealers out there who voted want to own up and be counted in the light?