• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many pressers do we have here?

Have you ever had a book pressed?  

369 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever had a book pressed?

216 posts in this topic

My Point.

If Matt is getting strong sales, then the COLLECTING COMMUNITY as a WHOLE doesn't seem to be worried about Pressed books.

I've been saying that for months. So far I'm a CGC apologist and a Jason Ewert apologist. Maybe if I agree with you, I'll be a Matt Nelson apologist, too. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Or the masses don't know about the issue/problem, which is my bet.

I don't know. Who are these mysterious masses investing in comics(valuable enough that someone thought there were worth getting pressed), but not researching current issues in the hobby that might affect value?

sfilosa, have you looked at the bidders of Matt's recent auctions? Are they familiar names, or mysterious masses?

so if most of the collectors out there have no clue yet about the pressing for profit issue, then all their sales data means nothing to any discussion about the effects pressing has on sales prices. The real test is to seel the same book twice: once as unpressed blue label. Then as th esame book, same label, with info that it had been pressed. THEN we will see what effect DISCLOSED pressing has.

Im gonna hold my breath, starting now!

I don't know. Who are these mysterious masses investing in comics(valuable enough that someone thought there were worth getting pressed), but not researching current issues in the hobby that might affect value?

sfilosa, have you looked at the bidders of Matt's recent auctions? Are they familiar names, or mysterious masses?

27_laughing.gifhail.gif My thoughts exactly. I love it when the anti-pressers assume that those who don't agree with them are necessarily ignorant on the issue. Yet when you take stock of who is dead set against pressing (I refer to those who call such books "tainted") and those who don't really care about it, those who actually have some real knowledge about the issue are the ones who don't think it is a big deal, while many of the anti-pressers have very little knowledge of what it is or what is can or can't do. poke2.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Point.

If Matt is getting strong sales, then the COLLECTING COMMUNITY as a WHOLE doesn't seem to be worried about Pressed books.

I've been saying that for months. So far I'm a CGC apologist and a Jason Ewert apologist. Maybe if I agree with you, I'll be a Matt Nelson apologist, too.

Or the masses don't know about the issue/problem, which is my bet.

I'll pretty much bet that the top SA collectors who register their books, know about Pressing. I'm not saying any of them press their books, but they have clearly bought pressed books from dealers or other collectors.

27_laughing.gifhail.gif My thoughts exactly. I love it when the anti-pressers assume that those who don't agree with them are necessarily ignorant on the issue. Yet when you take stock of who is dead set against pressing (I refer to those who call such books "tainted") and those who don't really care about it, those who actually have some real knowledge about the issue are the ones who don't think it is a big deal, while many of the anti-pressers have very little knowledge of what it is or what is can or can't do. poke2.gif

You're right Scott......I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about. screwy.gif

You're right Scott......I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about. screwy.gif

I could have sworn there was an echo in here. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Everybody in my LCS maybe? I would also bet that my LCS is more of the rule than the exception.

When the craap started going on with the FF3, i mentioned it to about 10 people who were there at the time and none of them had heard of pressing. Not one.

I love it when the anti-pressers assume that those who don't agree with them are necessarily ignorant on the issue. Yet when you take stock of who is dead set against pressing (I refer to those who call such books "tainted") and those who don't really care about it, those who actually have some real knowledge about the issue are the ones who don't think it is a big deal, while many of the anti-pressers have very little knowledge of what it is or what is can or can't do.

So, you're saying that those that don't agree with you are ignorant on the issue? Isn't that the position you were critiquing in your first sentence? This is a classic statement Scott! 27_laughing.gif Pretzel Logic at it's best.

BTW.....if you're interested in clarification, (which I don't think is what you're after)..... call me one who is against the non-disclosure of pressing.

And here's my challenge.....if the masses don't care, and it wouldn't affect sales.....then why are dealers scared krapless to note whether a book has been pressed or not. That nails it for me.

I'd like to see one dealer....one, with a neat little paragraph in one of his auctions, explain how beneficial pressing is, and proudly note that a pro like Matt Nelson did the work.

It's not happening, because it carries a stigma. And dealers will keep the lid on this pandora's box for as long as possible.

Quote:

Everybody in my LCS maybe? I would also bet that my LCS is more of the rule than the exception.

When the craap started going on with the FF3, i mentioned it to about 10 people who were there at the time and none of them had heard of pressing. Not one.

And how many are High Grade CGC collectors, honestly?

Quote:

And how many are High Grade CGC collectors, honestly?

I haven't run into any high grade CGC collectors a my LCS.

It's not happening, because it carries a stigma. And dealers will keep the lid on this pandora's box for as long as possible.

Just because dealers are afraid to reveal that a book has been pressed does not mean that their fears would be realized if they did. It hasn't been tested yet.

But, sales by dealers who are suspected of pressing do not seem to suffer as a result of their reputation.

How many people in your LCS are buyers of high dollar, high grade books though? It doesn't matter whether people who buy only moderns or low dollar back issues know about it, since those books aren't really subject to the practice anyway.

I love it when the anti-pressers assume that those who don't agree with them are necessarily ignorant on the issue. Yet when you take stock of who is dead set against pressing (I refer to those who call such books "tainted") and those who don't really care about it, those who actually have some real knowledge about the issue are the ones who don't think it is a big deal, while many of the anti-pressers have very little knowledge of what it is or what is can or can't do.

So, you're saying that those that don't agree with you are ignorant on the issue? Isn't that the position you were critiquing in your first sentence? This is a classic statement Scott! 27_laughing.gif Pretzel Logic at it's best.

BTW.....if you're interested in clarification, (which I don't think is what you're after)..... call me one who is against the non-disclosure of pressing.

And here's my challenge.....if the masses don't care, and it wouldn't affect sales.....then why are dealers scared krapless to note whether a book has been pressed or not. That nails it for me.

I'd like to see one dealer....one, with a neat little paragraph in one of his auctions, explain how beneficial pressing is, and proudly note that a pro like Matt Nelson did the work.

Brad,

I was specifically not talking about you. I have no problem with your stance on pressing as I understand it (i.e., press your own books if you want, but disclose when you sell). I am inclined to agree with everything you said above, except for the part where you said I was using pretzel logic. You are comparing apples and oranges. When I say "Ignorant of the issue" in the first instance, I am talking about people who have never heard of pressing and don't know it exists. When I say Chris and others like him don't know what the hell they're talking about, they know about the issue but know next to nothing about the limits or particulars of the process.

As Chris aptly noted, I was referring to him, not you. confused-smiley-013.gif