• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many pressers do we have here?

Have you ever had a book pressed?  

369 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever had a book pressed?

216 posts in this topic

How does one create a poll anyway?

Right below the graemlins (when composing a new thread or when replying to a post) there is an option for "Add a poll to this post." Then you just follow the prompts.

Right below the graemlins (when composing a new thread or when replying to a post) there is an option for "Add a poll to this post." Then you just follow the prompts.

Scott, let me finish your response for you: "...dumb !" poke2.gif

Who, me? Naw, I love everybody. yay.gif

He knows I would sue him if he did that. 893naughty-thumb.gif

I don't think that the PRESSING ISSUE is making much impact on SALES.

Avengers #4 CGC 9.4

You're presuming that those who are bidding are aware that any particular book has been pressed (and I have no idea if this book is pressed or not).

At least Matt is bucking the system and allowing full refunds on CGC books, as all sellers should.

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avengers #4 CGC 9.4

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Again, until an auction disclaimer says "This book has been pressed", it will be impossible to determine whether pressing has had any impact on sales or not.

Fair enough. But until buyers STOP buying because they want "full disclosure", then why "disclose"? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Quote:

Avengers #4 CGC 9.4

Again, until an auction disclaimer says "This book has been pressed", it will be impossible to determine whether pressing has had any impact on sales or not.

Fair enough. But until buyers STOP buying because they want "full disclosure", then why "disclose"? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You're absolutely right, i.e., the premise that the buyers have the control on this issue. I wouldn't say they have to refuse to outright buy but they do need to ASK the question before they buy, assuming they care of course.

More and more sellers are becoming responsive to answering the question: Was the book pressed? Now, perhaps their answer will be either mislieading or an outright lie but soon enough those who try to engage in such tactics will get their due.

He knows I would sue him if he did that. 893naughty-thumb.gif

I find that about as scary as a fuzzy bunny rabbit -- and not the one from Monty Python either.

Quote:

Avengers #4 CGC 9.4

You're absolutely right, i.e., the premise that the buyers have the control on this issue. I wouldn't say they have to refuse to outright buy but they do need to ASK the question before they buy, assuming they care of course.

More and more sellers are becoming responsive to answering the question: Was the book pressed? Now, perhaps their answer will be either mislieading or an outright lie but soon enough those who try to engage in such tactics will get their due.

27_laughing.gif I'm glad you added that last sentence, Mark. Answering the question is the easy part. Answering truthfully? There's the rub. wink.gif

Is there a way to tell the diffrence between a book pressed buy a professional and a book pressed buy the weight of other books (church books) being piled one on top another for 20-30 yrs?

From what I can understand cgc can tell a book has been pressed but cannot tell if it is manipulation or storage that caused the pressing can someone please set me straight if I am wrong

CGC says that they cannot WITH 100% CERTAINTY state that a book has undergone "non-disassembly" pressing. They are more confident in their ability to detect when a book was taken apart and pressed. And their stance has been since they cant detect it perfectly they wont say a book HAs or HAS NOT been pressed.

Oh yeah, and CGC also says that pressing isnt restoration too. SO why mention it even if they DO spot it?

CGC says that they cannot WITH 100% CERTAINTY state that a book has undergone "non-disassembly" pressing. They are more confident in their ability to detect when a book was taken apart and pressed. And their stance has been since they cant detect it perfectly they wont say a book HAs or HAS NOT been pressed.

Oh yeah, and CGC also says that pressing isnt restoration too. SO why mention it even if they DO spot it?

They mention a lot of things on the slab that is not "considered" restoration.

Why mention tape on cover (duh, kinda obvious) or slight color touch or slight amount of glue on cover, all of which receive a blue slab?

Because it allows an informed decision.

Is there a way to tell the DIFFRENCE between a book pressed buy a professional and a book pressed buy the weight of other books (church books) being piled one on top another for 20-30 yrs?

Yes or No is there a way to tell the diffrence between less intrusive forms of pressing(non-disassembly) or pressing from OO collections and storage methods(stacking).

They mention a lot of things on the slab that is not "considered" restoration.

Why mention tape on cover (duh, kinda obvious) or slight color touch or slight amount of glue on cover, all of which receive a blue slab?

Because it allows an informed decision.

That's a simplistic statement. They can detect tape, or color touch, or a slight amount of glue. If they can't detect with 100% certainty that a book has been pressed, they absolutely should NOT put it on the label. Don't guess. I thought that was the whole purpose of an unbiased third-party grading service - to take the guessing out of the process.

sign-rantpost.gif And why, dear God, why, do we continue to beat this dead horse? If you don't agree with their standards, that's one thing, but they've been pretty clear on their position. CGC does not consider non-disassembly pressing restoration.

Is there a way to tell the DIFFRENCE between a book pressed buy a professional and a book pressed buy the weight of other books (church books) being piled one on top another for 20-30 yrs?

Yes or No is there a way to tell the diffrence between less intrusive forms of pressing(non-disassembly) or pressing from OO collections and storage methods(stacking).

It's not a yes or no question. If professional pressing is done properly, there is no way to tell it has been performed. If you leave a book under weights for 20-30 years, it will probably be flat. But if someone is just looking at a book without knowing it's been under weight for 20-30 years, there is no way to tell that the book has been compressed for that span or whether it has just flattened out as the pages have lost some of their suppleness.