• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It would be a Crime not to post your Detective Pulps
6 6

429 posts in this topic

On 7/25/2024 at 2:23 PM, dickymoe74 said:

I've always loved this Detective Book Magazine's cool cover art.  This one is is really nice shape too!!  A hard issue to find~!  NICE!!!!

Agreed, there are some sweet covers sprinkled through this title. Awesome Jack, never seen this before!  :applause:

On 7/25/2024 at 9:31 PM, Point Five said:

Agreed, there are some sweet covers sprinkled through this title. Awesome Jack, never seen this before!  :applause:

Some of this title has some hard to find issues which caught my eye some years ago love the dripping bloody fingers :bigsmile: 

On 7/25/2024 at 6:40 PM, comicjack said:

Some of this title has some hard to find issues which caught my eye some years ago love the dripping bloody fingers :bigsmile: 

Agreed - I had a chance to buy an upper grade copy about a year ago, I didn't jump right away and the book sold for a nice price too....  Not an easy issue to come by, not cheap but worth it!

On 7/25/2024 at 6:20 AM, comicjack said:

image.jpeg.48fcf47bcafefae63cbcfb94c2a9fd15.jpeg

I just noticed the author on the lead story here as R.F. Shchabelitz who was an artist with a long career I happened to have posted some works by here earlier tonight in the love pulp thread.  It's his only entry for him in Fictionmags as an author and the only entry for Willeta Ann Barber as well.  Is he actually the author or is it some sort of artist/author collaboration - i.e. is there something special about the way the story is executed/illustrated?

On 8/11/2024 at 1:13 PM, dickymoe74 said:

A personal all time favorite, LOVE THE COVER!!!!!!!

Ten Detective Aces July 1941.jpg

So they pulled into a drive-in with a kidnap victim in the back seat? Ha! Love the blackjack and real cups / plates on the tray!

On 8/11/2024 at 10:30 AM, pmpknface said:

So they pulled into a drive-in with a kidnap victim in the back seat? Ha! Love the blackjack and real cups / plates on the tray!

Agreed - Kinda strange to be drinking coffee with burgers, too.....  lol - Then again, I'm not a huge coffee drinker so who knows.....

On 8/11/2024 at 12:13 PM, dickymoe74 said:

A personal all time favorite, LOVE THE COVER!!!!!!!

Ten Detective Aces July 1941.jpg

There's so much going on in this cover, it's like a William Hogarth painting. First of all, the young female "carhop" in full uniform at the "drive-inn," a common sight in the 1930s, but requiring footnotes to explain today -- no one today would believe that "fast food workers" were once hired for their physical attractiveness, and dressed in elaborate embroidered uniforms complete with epaulettes, unless we had photographs and movies to prove it. Then, the gangsters in the car flashing their pistol (lower left) and blackjack (upper right), and the bound and gagged victim clearly visible in the back seat, making them. the dumbest (or most brazen) crooks in town. The story that this illustrates must be pretty crazy.