• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this any way to run an auction?

11 posts in this topic

web page

I just noticed this list of "auctions" by Dolgoff. All the opening bids are equal to the BINs?

So the first bidder has a choice: But the book at the opening bid OR...let someone force him to pay more! Is this a new wrinkle? How is this an auction and not a garden variety sale? confused.gifconfused.gif

not to mention the prices are at the top end for the grades IMO.

kind of a waste of money on ebay fees if you ask me. wouldnt it have been better to start low with a reserve. At least if it sells, the reserve price auction fee is taken back and you just pay final value fee. maybe seller hasnt figured it out yet.

Pretty dumb huh? But he's a "top" dealer...big color ad inside cover of the Guide each year...figure he knows what he's doing....maybe he figures its a world wide convention and its worth the extra fees? But I dont think its what ebay had in mind.

he may be a top dealer with very strict grading but he looks to have only sold about 15-20 books in the last month. for all of the nice stuff he has listed in the past month or so, thats a shame. if he structured his price different, maybe hed sell a ton more, and still get about what he wants with less overhead or a little less but with less overhead. either way its gotta be better.

I do know of at least one dealer who buys in bulk from him. He's more of a BULK dealer. I know he sells lots of stuff over-seas too. Apparently a lot of VG Silver Age and reading copies. Probably too busy to deal with e-bay, as it really is time-consuming.

I actually went to his warehouse last summer and came away with a number of insights. The most important of these is that with the exception of some GA books and a few early SA, NOTHING IS RARE. He has rows devoted to books in each individual grade. So, say he is 3-300 deep per issue in most mainstream titles in each grade in each condition . He has entire collections that have been shipped to him thrown in the back of his warehouse still bundled on rotting wooden pallettes--god knows how long they've been sitting there. And even after they get unpacked, they sit disorganized in piles and then are eventually shelved by collection, to eventually be graded and integrated into the remainder of his stock. I spent about 5 hours there and what I did not find was more noteworthy than what I did. No variants, almost no 35 or 40 cent Marvel Westerns, no high grade 20-30 cent Marvel westerns. Very few HG DC westerns, very few true NM books. Deep runs of all DC and Marvel mainstream titles, no HG Dells, Charltons, or GK. As for a supposed rarity like the Spidey/Prodigy giveaway, a stack of dozens, if not hundreds. Who knows what i missed there--it was pretty disorganized. Interesting though.