• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need advice for negotiating price
1 1

71 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

otherwise known as Reason #6 in "10 Reasons Why Sellers Don't Deserve the Price They're Charging, That They Never Listen To"

Cool. Where can I find more info on this list of 10 reasons ?

all kidding aside - contrary to others, I feel if you really really really want the book, can't get it elsewhere and don't expect to in the near future, then bite the bullet and offer an obscene amount of money for it.  A month from now you'll have the book and probably, at the levels we're talking about?  won't miss the amount over FMV you coughed up

just do it! :baiting:

Just now, Dr. Love said:

all kidding aside - contrary to others, I feel if you really really really want the book, can't get it elsewhere and don't expect to in the near future, then bite the bullet and offer an obscene amount of money for it.  A month from now you'll have the book and probably, at the levels we're talking about?  won't miss the amount over FMV you coughed up

just do it! :baiting:

Maybe you're the guy trying to sell me the book haha

I always end up paying slightly more for what I really want.  Course, it's nice stuff, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised but it still annoys me.  Everybody on Earth knows the relative value of comics these days, there's no more finding "deals" at the store or at the convention.  Online is the worst spot too.

Edited by Falcon760

3 hours ago, migmtl76 said:

Yeah, seems like he doesnt want to sell the book unless he gets more, you are right ! I will make a good offer and see what happens. Btw your profile pic looks like the lead singer of a-ha in the Take on me music video ;) 

Haha, well it's a character from that exact same era and style. It is a drawing Darwyn Cooke drawing he did for me of Neil Gaiman's Sandman, which is my favourite comic series of all time, and that character (along with his sister Death) was most definitely based on the 80s rock scene. It's my most prized possession and while I am sure an auction would determine the price, to me it's priceless.

1 hour ago, migmtl76 said:

This is not on ebay so right away the seller pays no 10% fees to ebay. I know this and he knows this.

I don't think someone who is wanting the most from you cares at all about this. He is making it quite clear he has no intention on giving you a deal whatsoever so I would not at all put this as part of the equation. Just give him what he wants and you will get what you want. Or, as I already suggested, just tell him to f off. Like do you want to sell the book or not? Get the F out of here! (you were supposed to read that last bit in a jersey accent)

14 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

I don't think someone who is wanting the most from you cares at all about this. He is making it quite clear he has no intention on giving you a deal whatsoever so I would not at all put this as part of the equation. Just give him what he wants and you will get what you want. Or, as I already suggested, just tell him to f off. Like do you want to sell the book or not? Get the F out of here! (you were supposed to read that last bit in a jersey accent)

You're funny. Btw you are 2 posts away from 1K. Does your caption/status change at 1K ?

Yeah, this just sounds like someone that doesn't really want to sell unless you over pay to the point that they can buy back into it at fair market and make a tidy profit.

Make the offer you think is fair and would be willing to pay, but walk away if they want more.

Patience is typically the friend of the book hunter.

1 minute ago, William-James88 said:

So, what does it say? I'm on mobile so i can't see if anything changed.

Before 1K : Bid more or post more... tough one...

After 1K : Up 20 words per minute since I signed up

If there is lots of data as you say regarding prices, it would seem to me that you should be able to find a copy elsewhere if this doesn’t work out.

That being said, I have set plenty of GPA highs on the boards or CL, sales that don’t get reported to GPA.

The reason? If I REALLY want a book, I do not mind paying over GPA by 20%+ as when this does happen, these books are now locked away in my personal collection.

So while I do overpay, I am comfortable doing so.

If this book is the perfect copy you have been searching for, go for it and don’t look back. If not others will pop up.

4 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Its too bad you really want that book because I would tell that seller to go f off. He doesnt sound like he wants to sell it, and he is making sure negotiations wont go your way. 

But look if you really want the book then give him the highest offer you'd be willing to go if that book was being auctioned off right now and someone else out there was willing to go all the way. At what price would you go "that's it, too much for me". Figure that price out for yourself and offer him 1$ less than that price. If he says no, then thats ok, you could never give him more.

The seller has a book the buyer expressly wants and he probably doesn't want to sell it and the hopeful buyer has said it's got white pages and is rare.  I don't see it as unreasonable that the owner of the book ask for a price he can't refuse i.e. market or higher.  I've answered want to buy threads for quality books and been offered 75% of market, it's irritating. 

I subscribe to the idea of beginning negotiations at 10% below eBay sold prices (if there are any) to account for the absence of eBay fees.  The hope is that you meet somewhere in the middle, but I'm generally willing to go as high as GPA.  If they're looking for more, I walk away.  Given the current state of the economy, I've been more frugal with what I spend money on which has made walking away easier.

10 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

I subscribe to the idea of beginning negotiations at 10% below eBay sold prices (if there are any) to account for the absence of eBay fees.  The hope is that you meet somewhere in the middle, but I'm generally willing to go as high as GPA.  If they're looking for more, I walk away.  Given the current state of the economy, I've been more frugal with what I spend money on which has made walking away easier.

You are a wise man :)