• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ever Exchanged Comics for Real Estate, Tuition, whatever?
1 1

12 posts in this topic

I figure "whatever" is a nice setup for whatever this-for-that joke you might have. 

But once you get that out of your system, I would love to hear if anybody has either done, or looked into doing, an exchange of comics for something other than cash.  I've heard of people giving things of value to universities and getting a break on tuition, but never verified any of those stories.   And I've heard of people trading collectibles for other types of investments, such as homes or other property.  But, again, no specific verified examples come to mind.  Any thoughts, anecdotes, etc?

Edited by bluechip

Well. In a way. Back when I was a young father, I sold off all my GA key #1’s to buy my first house. Wasn’t as hard as I thought even though I knew I would never get them back. I still miss More Fun #52-53. :sorry:

Only one I got back was a All Winners #1.

I sold off my Marvel keys to put my kids through college. Good investment as well. 

Always loved the story where Jerry Weist traded his entire wine cellar to Terry Stroud for five pages of Robert Crumb art, including one page from "Abstract Expressionist Ultra Super Modernistic Comics" from Zap #1

Must have been some fine bordeaux in that cellar!

22 minutes ago, DanCooper said:

Always loved the story where Jerry Weist traded his entire wine cellar to Terry Stroud for five pages of Robert Crumb art, including one page from "Abstract Expressionist Ultra Super Modernistic Comics" from Zap #1

Terry does love his vino...

2 minutes ago, Robot Man said:
24 minutes ago, DanCooper said:

Terry does love his vino...

HA! The other part of the story that Jerry relayed was that, at the time, Terry S. had 138 pages of Crumb art. For him to acquire that much Crumb material, Jerry reasoned, meant "Terry must have had something Robert really wanted"

I'm actually in process of buying a house for my in-laws to get them closer to me and wife. It would be an investment on our part. I asked my tax guy if I could trade some comics for the house to avoid taxes and he said no.