• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CPVs versus UK/Pence Comics
3 3

30 posts in this topic

It seems like there is an old bias against UK price variant copies. I can vaguely remember reading such in old Overstreet guides. UK variants have always been looked down on as compared to US copies. Given all the interest in price variants these days I expected UK variants to become more sought after but that doesn't seem to be the case on a large scale. Hell, if Whitman logo DCs can become hot, any variant can. I remember when those were looked upon as complete garbage reprints.

16 hours ago, Jeffro. said:

It seems like there is an old bias against UK price variant copies. I can vaguely remember reading such in old Overstreet guides. UK variants have always been looked down on as compared to US copies. Given all the interest in price variants these days I expected UK variants to become more sought after but that doesn't seem to be the case on a large scale. Hell, if Whitman logo DCs can become hot, any variant can. I remember when those were looked upon as complete garbage reprints.

Is the accepted stance these days that they are variants? I know that CGC goes with "UK Edition" right? Personally I don't like the term varient or UK edition. I would like to see CGC simply put "Pence Price" or something on the label. 

To me a variant is a deliberate act to change the cover for asthetic reasons. The pence price on the cover was purely functional though. But maybe my definition of variation is too narrow... 

2 hours ago, serling1978 said:

Is the accepted stance these days that they are variants? I know that CGC goes with "UK Edition" right? Personally I don't like the term varient or UK edition.

CGC changed couple of years ago they now annotate as “UK Price Variant”. 
If anyone wishes to look in Silver there is an extensive thread on everything UK price variants. 

31 minutes ago, Garystar said:

If anyone wishes to look in Silver there is an extensive thread on everything UK price variants. 

Interesting. I know that based on the definition of the word variant they are variants because they deviate from the norm, but I personally don't like the term being applied. I suppose it's based on my own issues with the modern comic industry and the forced attempts to still make comics collectable by purposefully creating limited variant covers. To me once an item is recognized as being collectable then it has jumped the shark for all future production of said item. 

Sorry, didn't mean to go on a rambling nonsensical side rant there... :preach:

9 minutes ago, serling1978 said:

Interesting. I know that based on the definition of the word variant they are variants because they deviate from the norm, but I personally don't like the term being applied. I suppose it's based on my own issues with the modern comic industry and the forced attempts to still make comics collectable by purposefully creating limited variant covers. To me once an item is recognized as being collectable then it has jumped the shark for all future production of said item. 

Sorry, didn't mean to go on a rambling nonsensical side rant there... :preach:

Still some good info - time not wasted!

CAL who has a small stash of UK and other Foreign pulp papers...

On 2/13/2021 at 5:27 PM, Garystar said:

I checked it out earlier Gary - load of rubbish.