• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recently purchased these for £100 as a gamble (just a box of comics). Did I do ok?
2 2

30 posts in this topic

On 3/27/2022 at 1:28 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Thank you for that excellent response Qalyar!

I've been gathering a copy here and there, and plan to put a journal entry together at some point.

Here's The Frightened Bride, along with several other new ones which I will scan and post in the journal entry. I'll see if I can contact Michael Carroll too. It would be nice to document them more fully than the current GCD record. It's clear there are a good few more than ten :)

thumbnail.thumb.jpg.b0ec510136be07f62c01dca8a82200e1.jpg

Here's another that I do have scanned, also not on the list:

766352975_ForMothersSake.thumb.jpg.dcf6db851bba47551101d59fafdec76f.jpg

Very nice! Also, really nice copies there versus the beaters these tend to be. I've always been fascinated by the whole genre of British republication books, but it's never been in the cards for me to chase them personally.

Definitely looking forward to your writeup on these. I'm especially interested in which, if any, are actually numbered in the indicia. In particular, there seem to be two styles of these books. Yours have the Streamline Pictorial Romance text off to the side, wherever they can find room (a couple like that actually gave up and placed a colored box behind the branding). The other style has an actual banner that includes the branding (and cover price, often on both sides). I've never seen a title come both ways; I suspect it's always one or the other.

My guess -- and it's a total guess at this point -- is that the banner-style books are the only numbered ones, and Streamline viewed these as more or less one-offs under a shared "imprint", more or less. 

On 3/27/2022 at 8:39 PM, Qalyar said:

My guess -- and it's a total guess at this point -- is that the banner-style books are the only numbered ones, and Streamline viewed these as more or less one-offs under a shared "imprint", more or less. 

None of the issues in my photo there are numbered, so your instinct is good. I'll save the rest for the journal post and will flag you when it lands.....

On 3/27/2022 at 8:39 PM, Qalyar said:

Very nice! Also, really nice copies there versus the beaters these tend to be. I've always been fascinated by the whole genre of British republication books, but it's never been in the cards for me to chase them personally.

Definitely looking forward to your writeup on these. I'm especially interested in which, if any, are actually numbered in the indicia. In particular, there seem to be two styles of these books. Yours have the Streamline Pictorial Romance text off to the side, wherever they can find room (a couple like that actually gave up and placed a colored box behind the branding). The other style has an actual banner that includes the branding (and cover price, often on both sides). I've never seen a title come both ways; I suspect it's always one or the other.

I've scanned and posted the covers that I have in the Gallery section here Qalyar:

I'll be posting the content and indicia details soon....

Streamline have numbers on their 6d comics of the early 1950s. When they moved to 1/- 68 page books they appear to abandon numbering entirely.

The connection between Streamline and Alan Class is interesting. Alan was an Estate Agent until he met his future wife and was introduced to his future father-in-law who had until recently been half of Streamline Publications. He would have had the connections to give Alan his start in the reprint business. Do Streamline Publications have the accolade as the least-collected UK publisher? And Westerns (at least in the UK) must be the least collected subject. Funny how Romance comics have really caught on over the last decade and sell for $£$£s

On 4/26/2022 at 9:20 AM, themagicrobot said:

Streamline have numbers on their 6d comics of the early 1950s. When they moved to 1/- 68 page books they appear to abandon numbering entirely.

The connection between Streamline and Alan Class is interesting. Alan was an Estate Agent until he met his future wife and was introduced to his future father-in-law who had until recently been half of Streamline Publications. He would have had the connections to give Alan his start in the reprint business. Do Streamline Publications have the accolade as the least-collected UK publisher? And Westerns (at least in the UK) must be the least collected subject. Funny how Romance comics have really caught on over the last decade and sell for $£$£s

We all need more romance in our lives, Robot :)

Have you got any of them? They seem like the sort of books you would have, or would have commented on in your blog at some point. 

I have a few that I'll scan once they surface. Not sure if they are all Streamline though. I believe I have some "Young Brides" 68 pagers but think they may be Arnold (Miller). Interesting that UK romance pocket digests are finding their way to the US to be encapsulated and sold on...even UK Marvels although the label doesn't mention the UK.

358290340_youngromance.thumb.jpg.17b0f4e6979f710268b7bdd9d1879083.jpg

On 4/26/2022 at 2:11 PM, thunsicker said:

I thought CGC's mislabeling of foreign comics was based on interior content.  Not cover.   Do we know what the interior contents of that are?

"Foreign Editions - This classification is assigned to international comics that feature a cover to which a US counterpart exists but is not a facsimile." 

foreign.thumb.PNG.55f9b1128b7b49f9a1117ef0fce47e93.PNG

https://www.cgccomics.com/international-comics/

On 4/26/2022 at 3:14 AM, themagicrobot said:

I have a few that I'll scan once they surface. Not sure if they are all Streamline though. I believe I have some "Young Brides" 68 pagers but think they may be Arnold (Miller). Interesting that UK romance pocket digests are finding their way to the US to be encapsulated and sold on...even UK Marvels although the label doesn't mention the UK.

358290340_youngromance.thumb.jpg.17b0f4e6979f710268b7bdd9d1879083.jpg

What is baffling me is the "Marvel Digest Series" with a title still owned by DC at that point, as far as I know.