• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So are we all going to pretend...

197 posts in this topic

What Batman's?? Oh you mean those 8.0's that were pressed to 9.4's and 9.6's. I think everyone will stay FAAAR away, they'll probably sell for below OStreet guide, because we all know that the FF 3 controversy has killed demand for high grade books. foreheadslap.gif

I'm keeping an eye on the #219. It's an Adams book that doesn't seem to pop up as often as most others. I'm also watching the #221, but the 9.2, not the 9.6. Serpi's bidding on the 9.6, and his pockets are much deeper than mine.

If they truly are foolish, they are only slightly more foolish than the underbidder, and a little less foolish than the person they eventually sell to.

We're all a little foolish for spending hundreds of dollars for books that originally sold for .10, .12, .15, .20.

If they truly are foolish, they are only slightly more foolish than the underbidder, and a little less foolish than the person they eventually sell to.

Well, no, that's not exactly a fair comparison. A lot of those slightly more or less foolish people are not forumites and are blissfully unaware of the Ewert/FF situation. So I would term forumites who have access to this kind of knowedge that other ebayers don't, and STILL bid, as "infinitely more foolish." shy.gif

We're all a little foolish for spending hundreds of dollars for books that originally sold for .10, .12, .15, .20.

Ok, yeah, you got me there. I am (mostly) cured, though. insane.gif

This whole foolish or not foolish argument proceeds from the assumption that these books are pressed.

These aren't GA, or even SA, they're early 70s Batmans. It would not be by any means extraordinary for these to be unpressed high-grade books.

I'm going to bid on some of them. Probably not the ones serpi is bidding on. I've won some auctions against him and it cost me a lot. I'm just going to be honest here, i don't really care if they are pressed or not. They're never coming out of the slabs as long as i have them. PM me if you're going all out on a specific book and i won't bid on that one.

I don't really agree with you nm. He probably picked them up at san diego, sent them off to be prescreened by matt nelson, and on to cgc, then to the "winner's" house. making a killing in the process. If you buy an 8.5 have it pressed for 20 dollars, and quintuple your investment, why not press them all. Not to say there aren't high grade ones out there, but even 9.6 to 9.8 is a steep increase in returns.

I don't really agree with you nm. He probably picked them up at san diego, sent them off to be prescreened by matt nelson, and on to cgc, then to the "winner's" house. making a killing in the process. If you buy an 8.5 have it pressed for 20 dollars, and quintuple your investment, why not press them all. Not to say there aren't high grade ones out there, but even 9.6 to 9.8 is a steep increase in returns.

what does it mean 'have it pressed'??? like dry cleaning? or like under 100 encyclopaedias? sign-offtopic.gif