• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Book Damaged by CGC Case
2 2

72 posts in this topic

On 4/16/2021 at 2:57 PM, Sharon Wang said:

I'm dealing with something now that's similar to this. 2 out of my last 4 subs that I have received have irreversible damage along the bottom of the comics where it looks like the books tried to escape the inner well and got hung up on the edge causing the cover and inside pages to be damaged. 5 comics in this sub of 25 have it. 8 in a previous sub of 25 earlier this year had it. CGC was unable to fix 4 of the first 8 damaged when I shipped them back which really sucks.

I'm fairly certain this is happening because I live on the West Coast and the boxes are being handled roughly or dropped during the long travel time.

The photos you showed and what you described as happening is the same thing that I think happened to an Elektra #1 JScottCampbell.com Edition B CGC 9.8 I purchased on eBay earlier this month and quickly returned for a refund (which the seller said was from a recently graded batch of comics). The bottom edge of the back cover had been uplifted in three spots inside the case. I stated this in another thread about similar damage to the back cover of a recently graded comic.

To be clear though, this month I personally received about 30 comics graded by CGC, and none of them had this kind of damage (one batch of about 10 and another batch of about 20). However, it's still altogether concerning to read what seems to be at least somewhat of a pattern in regard to damage along the bottom edge of the comics in some recently graded batches.

11 hours ago, vheflin said:

This is beyond acceptable human error.

Somebody in the slab room is:

• not sealing inner wells
  • not properly fitting the book in the inner well

That would be my guess as well.

1 hour ago, comicdiablo said:

The photos you showed and what you described as happening is the same thing that I think happened to an Elektra #1 JScottCampbell.com Edition B CGC 9.8 I purchased on eBay earlier this month and quickly returned for a refund (which the seller said was from a recently graded batch of comics). The bottom edge of the back cover had been uplifted in three spots inside the case. I stated this in another thread about similar damage to the back cover of a recently graded comic.

To be clear though, this month I personally received about 30 comics graded by CGC, and none of them had this kind of damage (one batch of about 10 and another batch of about 20). However, it's still altogether concerning to read what seems to be at least somewhat of a pattern in regard to damage along the bottom edge of the comics in some recently graded batches.

That would be my guess as well.

I receive boxes from CGC all the time and this has only occurred twice but both times it was this year and in boxes of 25 comics. So of the last 4 boxes of 25 comics I've had sent to me, 2 of them had multiple comics damaged like this (11 comics total). I'm guessing it's because of the weight of the box  which causes it to land harder if dropped or roughly handled. I think CGC needs better insulation overall with their shipments since a lot of the times there are a bunch of scuffs and occasional cracks due to there being zero protection between the majority of slabs. Having to buff out scuffs and then cracks causing the need for reholdering are annoying but permanent damage is ridiculous.

The thing I don't get is why they aren't on top of this stuff and why their quality control in general is so bad. I'm including an image of my submissions just from this year to show the amount of comics I've had to send back. This is labeling errors, cracked cases and damaged comics. If this is the average amount of issues they have with customers, it seems like they are wasting a huge amount of money each month just correcting errors. Imagine how much faster turnaround times would be if they didn't have to spend so much time fixing problems that didn't need to happen.

Someone earlier asked why I continue to use CGC. Selling comics is my primary source of income so it comes down to deciding what makes more sense financially. Should I continue to sub to CGC expecting that on average 2-3 comics of every 25 comic submission I do will be destroyed or should I get them graded by CBCS and then have slabbed books that are worth 25-40% less than their CGC graded equivalents? Pretty dumb that I have to actually consider which is the better way to go.

me.jpg

19 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

I'm not sure why you're characterizing me of being forgiving and understanding.  Your posts seem a bit aggressive and like a personal attack and I'm not sure why that is.

I apologize. I didn't mean it toward you. Sometimes when a touchy subject is being brought up and I am trying to ascertain all the facts I come off as aggressive. I may come off as insinuating but I don't mean to. I certainly didn't mean to and I am sorry. I will re-read my comments from now on and do some self editing before I post if I am chapped about a subject so it doesn't appear like I am attacking people instead of the problem itself.

1 hour ago, Sharon Wang said:

A few years ago I got a slab back with an actual small fly encased in it. If they can miss a fly, of course they'll miss small cracks.

Fly 1.jpg

Fly 2.jpg

"Grader? GRADER!"

"Yes sir?"

"There's a Fly in my SLAB!"

"SO sorry, sir. I will take care of that at ONCE!"

Can only imagine how close this scene is to dealing with CGC today:

Edited by Randall Ries

i sent as mint copy of yes silver surfer 4 to be graded unread stored from new. never been read came back damaged finger damage. there is only one ay it can happen we have all done it instead of sliding the comic out. it has been pulled out of the bag. creased the top of the cover comic bent i .am fuming and they had also given it a purple label they cannot even tell me where the colour touch is. is there really a colour touch on the cover. i dont think so. they graded on in 2019. it sold for $90.000 I LOOKED ST TEH SCAN OV THE BOOK ON HERATAGE THERE ARE 4 FLOORS ON THIS BOOK. AND IT HAS BEEN GIVEN A 9.8 MY COPY OF THIS BOOK. BLOWS IT AWAY AND THEY GIVE MY COPY A PURPLE LABEL AND A 9.0 ITS RUBBISH WHAT A WASTE OF TIME AND MY MONEY 

silver surfer 4 raw.jpg

Edited by p lennon
FOGOT TO ADD IMAGE OF COMIC

On 6/5/2022 at 9:03 PM, p lennon said:

i sent as mint copy of yes silver surfer 4 to be graded unread stored from new. never been read came back damaged finger damage. there is only one ay it can happen we have all done it instead of sliding the comic out. it has been pulled out of the bag. creased the top of the cover comic bent i .am fuming and they had also given it a purple label they cannot even tell me where the colour touch is. is there really a colour touch on the cover. i dont think so. they graded on in 2019. it sold for $90.000 I LOOKED ST TEH SCAN OV THE BOOK ON HERATAGE THERE ARE 4 FLOORS ON THIS BOOK. AND IT HAS BEEN GIVEN A 9.8 MY COPY OF THIS BOOK. BLOWS IT AWAY AND THEY GIVE MY COPY A PURPLE LABEL AND A 9.0 ITS RUBBISH WHAT A WASTE OF TIME AND MY MONEY 

silver surfer 4 raw.jpg

Just saying, mate, just because it's unread doesn't mean it's automatically a 9.8, let alone higher. 

On 6/6/2022 at 9:47 AM, Poekaymon said:

But my UF4 was still polybagged.

10.9!! Better than perfect. 

Just came back and with new damage.

The spine was bend free when submitted. I even posted it on the "spare a grade?" board so you can check that out if you want.

I was hoping for a 9.6 only because there were some production flaws.

Now I have a 9.4 with color breaking spine bends AND production flaws.

doh!

Before and after pics below

20220620_085940.jpg

20220620_081042.jpg