• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silveracre: Good ,bad, indifferent?

40 posts in this topic

Just curious if anyone has dealt with them. I recently used their online order form to order some books and it has some glitches. Not exactly swift in returning my email as I wanted to follow up on the order and confirm that it did go through properly.

I would have passed on them in any other other situation but I was surprised to see they had a run of Thor Stan Lee file copies and since I'm running out of true pedigree material to purchase, these will fill in till something better becomes available.

Yeah, I think that's a big factor....though their pricing still seems pretty high to me regardless. Better deals can be had with golddust, if yer gonna buy from a brit. thumbsup2.gif

I heard That Taming_Felepath guy isnt bad either.

That guy couldn't grade a truckload of gravel 27_laughing.gif

Yeah, Nick is allright!!

I would have passed on them in any other other situation but I was surprised to see they had a run of Thor Stan Lee file copies and since I'm running out of true pedigree material to purchase, these will fill in till something better becomes available.

Are those 'Stan Lee File Copies' or are they 'Uncle Stan' copies, which are quite common among British dealers? There is a big difference.

I have purchased from Silveracre before on numerous occasions. I would describe them as the Mile High Comics of Britain. High prices and somewhat spotty grading, but a great selection. Watch out for pence copies though. They don't always tell you when the book you're ordering is a pence copy, and they have a ton of them.

Ah,thats what I was trying to remember.

The books I bought turned out to be pence copies.An Avengers 110 and one of the Avengers-Defenders run. Didn't mention it in the ad,but it was the book in the photo.

I don't mind an occasional pence copy but am not going to pay premium prices for them.

I asked him via email to confirm that they were indeed Stan Lee File copies. He replied back that it was the Stan Lee Collection. I have just sent another email asking that he again confirm the actual provenance and to cancel the order if the books are not the Stan Lee File copies. Thank you for the heads up that there may be some possible "miscommunication".

...Off course I wouldn't be having grief like this if you guys would just give up the few Thor pedigree copies you have...

...well, at least I managed one pedigree Thor today, the JIM #112 Diamond Run copy is on its way to me.

I'm tired of buying these expensive slabbed books. Where the heck are all the raw Winnipegs and Northlands? Methinks some collector in Philly has them all...

I have dealt with them last month. bought a AF15 5.5 for $4800 so its no so bad. they reply to my queries within 1-2 days so they are a good dealer. thumbsup2.gif just make sure you check if the comic is american or uk edition. Their prices are HIGH 893whatthe.gif but once in awhile they get duplicates which they sell at a reasonable price. Hope this helps. bumpit.gif

...Off course I wouldn't be having grief like this if you guys would just give up the few Thor pedigree copies you have...

...well, at least I managed one pedigree Thor today, the JIM #112 Diamond Run copy is on its way to me.

I'm tired of buying these expensive slabbed books. Where the heck are all the raw Winnipegs and Northlands? Methinks some collector in Philly has them all...

Harley Yee had a bunch of raw Northlands last time I spoke with him.

Harley has me on speed dial if he acquires any pedigree Thors. I sent him an email just in case. I took a quick look and his online inventory is not showing any pedigree Thor's. Again, thanks for the info though...Geez, your on roll...Backing boards, pence copies and now pedigree info!

Silver Acre is apparently the biggest UK dealer - but they're not a favoured outlet by many because of people's opinions of the owner... rightly or wrongly.

The web-site functionality is poor in comparison to others - you can't search properly and it's generally out of date. I once bought from them and they sent me the completely wrong comic - I complained and got the reply, "sorry you're unhappy with the deal" - as if I'd purposely opted to buy the wrong comic! mad.gif I found that supremely irritating.

Though no-one can under-estimate his buying power and the breadth of stock.

I personally think Mile High sets the standard for buying low-value items off the net. They're so fast at shipping!

The best dealers in the UK in my opinion are The Book Palace and 30th Century Comics. Both have limited web-sites. 30th Century has a FANTASTIC shop - full of really interesting, uncommon items.

Believe me, you guys in the States are lucky with the conventions - most of our "marts" are depressing. Same old stock, same old faces and everyone looks so depressed with their lot. Or maybe it's me...

They do tend to overgrade - not by a serious amount but enough so i would not buy from them blind.

As for Marts - they really are poor in the UK - i ended up with two moderns from the last one i attended as i couldn't find any decent Bronze NM books anywhere. Its a rarity to find a book with a backing board in the UK.

They do tend to overgrade - not by a serious amount but enough so i would not buy from them blind.

As for Marts - they really are poor in the UK - i ended up with two moderns from the last one i attended as i couldn't find any decent Bronze NM books anywhere. Its a rarity to find a book with a backing board in the UK.

You're shopping with the wrong people...

Which show did you attend, BTW?

Its a rarity to find a book with a backing board in the UK.

893whatthe.gif

His statement doesn't sound remotely accurate to me - not that I go to all the marts, but at those I have been to, pretty much any book priced at over £2 has a board with it.

As for Silver Acre, well, I pretty much concur with what EwanUK said above. His stock can't be beat, but he's the most expensive there is (though he has been top of the heap over here for at least 12 years, so it's obviously not killing his business). And yes, rightly or wrongly, I don't care that much for the owner. Some dealers clearly still love the hobby, and some don't (apparently)...

Until reading this thread, I'd never heard anyone knock their grading, though. But to be honest, it seems like every day on these boards someone's grading is described as a point off - if CGC are 0.2 or 0.5 stricter than all major dealers, just plan your buying/bidding accordingly. confused.gif