• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Xbox 360

21 posts in this topic

I'm so far lost now with video game technology it isn't even funny. I'm still playing Pac Man and DK on my MAME. And quite content. I don't have 50 hours to invest in playing these quest/adventures.

What are your thoughts on the XBox 360? I hear it is going to be somewhat pricey but offers some additional horsepower the game addicts have been craving. My son just got a job a few weeks ago and that's what he's saving up for. My understanding is that Microsoft was losing money on these, have they caught up to Sony already? (I'm personally a PS2 advocate).

I'm listening.

Just wait for PS3 to come out in the spring. As far as the 360 itself goes,it's $299 for just the system and controller basically and $399 for hard drive,HD cables (hope u have a HDTV) headset, 893blahblah.gif The Xbox 360 and PS3 will smoke any PC on the market right now.I'm skipping the Xbox 1.5 (360) and getting a PS3 instead..more games I wanna play on PS

i'll likely be getting a 360...

i had an original and loved it....i play equally on the console and the PC so the initial lack of games on release (likely) will not be a big factor for me...

i love the consoles because they're optimized....they have a hardware set and games are written to work on that hardware set...much like the mac used to be...no need to upgrade video, cpu, ram, sound every 18 months or so...

it could end up being an expensive end of the year for me....looking at a 360 and a new PC so i can play D&D Online...

The PS2 has, by a wide margin, far outsold the X-Box...

Last I read, the X-Box 360 wouldn't play original X-Box games (backwards compatable). This is a terrible mistake and I bet they've changed that stance...

Jim

One thing I heard about is that from a design standpoint, developers have to assume that the customer's X-box doesn't have all of the bell and whistles (like the hard drive) so there will be minimal advantage with these extra devices (as opposed to the first incarnation where it played a big advantage).

The original X-Box uses Windows 2000 as a base OS....what does the 360 use?

No doubt live gaming is huge nowadays. Almost every title I see know supports this. Being able to talk to other players with the game just sounds too personal for me though.

I kinda agree with the sentiment that playing AWAY from the computer is better. Unfortunately I travel extensively so I am more laptop/computer bound than I wish I were.

Jim, thanks for clarifying the sales point. It was my understanding as well that the PS2 kicked the pants off of X-Box. It sounds like my son has become another unwitting victim of the Microsoft Marketing Machine.

Last I read, the X-Box 360 wouldn't play original X-Box games (backwards compatable). This is a terrible mistake and I bet they've changed that stance...

Jim

You have to buy a hard drive in order for it to work but it's not 100% backwards compatable,some games will work,some won't...M$ said it's compatable only with the "best selling xbox games"

Jim

You have to buy a hard drive in order for it to work but it's not 100% backwards compatable,some games will work,some won't...M$ said it's compatable only with the "best selling xbox games"

best selling....read that to mean halo 1 and 2 and anything that involves breast physics like the DOA games...

The original X-Box uses Windows 2000 as a base OS....what does the 360 use?
http://www.windowsfordevices.com/news/NS3988467635.html

http://www.windowsfordevices.com/news/NS3988467635.html

in a nutshell "... ... ... So there you have it: the Xbox 360 reportedly runs a second-order derivative of Windows 2000 that has been ported to the custom triple-core IBM PowerPC processor."

so it's Son of the Son of Win2k

I haven't owned a console since 1981 and haven't really played any game since the original Quake on my 486 back in 1995, but the moment the Marvel Universe MMOG comes out I'm buying whatever system it runs on....too bad it will be an X-box, as I'm not a M$ fan, but that's the way it's going to be...

Just talked to an EB Games rep about X-Box 360's backwards compatibity. He said the first batch straight out of the box will have very limited capability and would be surprised if more than a handful of titles will work. Microsoft is looking to later provide patches for the hard drive that MAY give a solution for 95% of the games out there. He wasn't confident though because of various emulation problems with different games and doesn't think they'll get anywhere near that goal.

And this from a rep who's hawking the heck out of the system looking for pre-orders...

Jim