• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Comic Book Movies By Year?

40 posts in this topic

35 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

nonsense! the first great superhero film that started the entire genre on its path. spiderman could never have been made without xmen and its success. of course i'm sure you hate spiderman (2002) as well. 

Yes the x-men movie was a box office success and you may be right about its influence on the genre, however that doesn't mean it was a good movie.  Being someone who collected x-men comics for a long time and loved the characters and continuity I hated what they did with the movie characters.  For example: Bobby Drake being half the age of the other original x-men and then falling for Rogue, really kills the timeline of the comics.  The "plot" was terrible, a total waste for an otherwise decently cast film.  This is all IMHO of course, but I would never watch 1 or 3 (don't get me started on that one) again!

And actually I really like Spidey '02. 

Btw, love the avatar!:applause:

Edited by s-man

8 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

2015: Antman! about a thousand times better than age of ultron, which was quite boring compared to the other avengers films. antman was a refreshing change of tone and well written.

spiderverse would have displaced many of these picks. too bad it came out in 2018.

I wouldn't say, "a thousand times", but Ant-Man is a fair pick. I love Iron Man and Ultron.

9 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

2014 was a particularly strong year; Winter Soldier, GOTG 1, X-Men Days of Future Past.

Agreed! Add:

• Kingsman
  • Lucy
  • Big Hero 6

But for me, best film for that year is a toss-up between Winter Soldier and Days of Future Past.

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I wouldn't say, "a thousand times", but Ant-Man is a fair pick. I love Iron Man and Ultron.

I’ve been re-watching a lot of the marvel films since Disney plus started - I don’t see all the hate for IM 2 and the Dark World was better on rewatching , I actually liked Captain Marvel less ...

10 minutes ago, Old_Man_Adam said:

I’ve been re-watching a lot of the marvel films since Disney plus started - I don’t see all the hate for IM 2 and the Dark World was better on rewatching , I actually liked Captain Marvel less ...

The 3rd Act of IM2 destroying the bots with War Machine is gold.

The Dark World is just mediocre. Poorly-timed humor, a threat that isn't too threatening despite having an Infinity Stone, and the idea that the scientists are pivotal in defeating Malekith with extra-ridiculous technology and luck? The acting is great, and I would even say that the premise is too, but the writing is just very bad.

12 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

The 3rd Act of IM2 destroying the bots with War Machine is gold.

The Dark World is just mediocre. Poorly-timed humor, a threat that isn't too threatening despite having an Infinity Stone, and the idea that the scientists are pivotal in defeating Malekith with extra-ridiculous technology and luck? The acting is great, and I would even say that the premise is too, but the writing is just very bad.

I agree - I just remember hating the Dark World and ended up hating it less . 💯 on scientists and strikeouts on humor ( stick to 2 broke girls ) I also felt that for a portion of the movie Natalie Portman seemed out of place , which is odd because she is a great actress - even recently in Annihilation . The beginning battle was very entertaining , I also felt the scene with the Dark Elves attacking Asgard was too lopsided .

33 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Don't understand how it's a comic book movie, is all.

Luc Besson Sci-Fi films are strongly influenced by French comic book properties and artists such as Moebius. Including the design of costumes and characters. It's in his DNA where he gets his ideas and concepts from. To include The Fifth Element and Valerian.

9 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Luc Besson Sci-Fi films are strongly influenced by French comic book properties and artists such as Moebius. Including the design of costumes and characters. It's in his DNA where he gets his ideas and concepts from. To include The Fifth Element and Valerian.

Not a comic book adaptation, though. :baiting:

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Yeah - I'm with TheCapraAegeus here. Especially because Valerian actually *was* based on a comic book, while Lucy was not.

I mean, yeah - 1999's The Matrix was one of the best superhero films of the 1990s, but it doesn't count either, any more than would Hancock or Brightburn or Looper or Bright.

1 hour ago, Gatsby77 said:

Yeah - I'm with TheCapraAegeus here. Especially because Valerian actually *was* based on a comic book, while Lucy was not.

I mean, yeah - 1999's The Matrix was one of the best superhero films of the 1990s, but it doesn't count either, any more than would Hancock or Brightburn or Looper or Bright.

If either of you are assuming this is a debatable item needing a champion, put your pistols back in your holsters.

:makepoint:

Luc Besson is strongly influenced by comic books. But no - there wasn't a comic book adaptation here. What else ya got?

:popcorn:

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

If either of you are assuming this is a debatable item needing a champion, put your pistols back in your holsters.

:makepoint:

Luc Besson is strongly influenced by comic books. But no - there wasn't a comic book adaptation here. What else ya got?

:popcorn:

Nothing else needed, man.

Lucy's not a comic book movie. Full stop.

Now, you want to acknowledge the title of the thread and go back to edit your chronological list to include the amazing comic book movies that weren't superhero films?

I mean, for being such a film geek, it's odd that you included films like Sin City and V for Vendetta but missed films like:

• Ghost World (2001)
  • From Hell (2001)
  • Road to Perdition (2002)
  • American Splendor (2003)
  • A History of Violence (2005)
  • 300 (2006)
  • Persepolis (2007)
  • 2 Guns (2013)
  • Snowpiercer (2013)
  • Atomic Blonde (2017)

If nothing else, both Persepolis and Snowpiercer are solid contenders for "best comic book films" of their respective years.

25 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Nothing else needed, man.

Lucy's not a comic book movie. Full stop.

Now, you want to acknowledge the title of the thread and go back to edit your chronological list to include the amazing comic book movies that weren't superhero films?

I mean, for being such a film geek, it's odd that you included films like Sin City and V for Vendetta but missed films like:

• Ghost World (2001)
  • From Hell (2001)
  • Road to Perdition (2002)
  • American Splendor (2003)
  • A History of Violence (2005)
  • 300 (2006)
  • Persepolis (2007)
  • 2 Guns (2013)
  • Snowpiercer (2013)
  • Atomic Blonde (2017)

If nothing else, both Persepolis and Snowpiercer are solid contenders for "best comic book films" of their respective years.

Is that really your goal today - to prove you have better awareness of what was a comic book film or not? It's kind of silly actually.

Up to 2016 I was helping capture all comic book TV shows and films from the early days forward. So why would you assume I am not aware of these films? Or at least coming across as a blowhard attempting to pick a fight over something so ill-informed?