• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Midnightshadow a Boardie? ...
1 1

45 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:

My original point, though, was that many people aren't bidding with respect to the "value in the marketplace." I have lost count of how many times I've seen a book sit unsold with a buy-it-now price only to have a comparable copy show up in an auction and sell for two or three times as much. There are many buyers out there who view auctions as competitions that they can "win."

How else do you explain Gary Keller? I have no other explanation for why he was willing to pay as much for the Mile High Green Lanterns as he did. (I'm not sure who the underbidder was on those books.) 

For instance, I believe that he's the one who paid $11,352.50 for the #13 in August of 2007.

The next sale of that book was in August of 2010 for $7,468.75.

The next sale after that was in May of 2014 for $4481.25, and then it sold in February of 2015 for $3,824, 33.7% of the price that Gary paid for it.

In the 2007 sale, I strongly suspect that only Gary and one other bidder went past $3 or $4 thousand dollars. And whether they were aware of it or not, I would submit that both of them were bidding because they wanted to "win." In Gary's case, "winning" likely provided some temporary gratification but ultimately cost him a lot of money.

Any time you bid in one of these auctions, you would be well served to remember that you may be bidding against someone who wants to "win" in order to satisfy some kind of insecurity and who may not even be considering the likely resale value of the book.

I've gotten pulled in more than once, but I've paid ridiculously high auction prices often enough that I've learned to walk away and wait for the next copy any time I see a book going above my honest pre-auction assessment of that book's value. I should say that I am able to walk away most of the time; it can be very hard to do during an auction—especially in the Heritage auctions where you only have a few seconds to decide whether to bid again, and you have a red warning light flashing in your face. The psychological manipulation in those auctions is obvious yet still effective because the HA folks prey on people's desire to "win," which is rooted in the insecurities that most of us harbor.

It's called 'auction fever'.

2 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Very true!

However, I lost a lot of points for my registry set due to the drop 😭. Is it bad that’s actually what hurt me the most? 😁

It's called 'registry fever'.

2 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

I crushed an adversary a couple weeks ago with a $15.50 bid...:roflmao:

I'm sure he still feels the agony of defeat!