• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Determining Value for Pressing and Grading
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I am making my first direct submission to CGC (rather than through my LCS).  I have a quick but important question to ask about determining the value of the book and choosing the correct tier of service (and associated cost).

Do I determine the value based on the raw price of the book, or its graded value by estimating the potential grade?  For example, I have a Venom 3 3rd print (Knull Cover).  It looks in pristine condition, and I am hoping for a 9.8 after a press.  GoCollect values it at $825 in a 9.8, but its raw value will be considerably less.  What will CGC expect me to do in terms of choosing a tier?

Many thanks

7 minutes ago, Chudders said:

I am making my first direct submission to CGC (rather than through my LCS)

Good call  (thumbsu

8 minutes ago, Chudders said:

determine the value based on the raw price of the book

that's what I've always done....... can't just assume it's going to grade out at a certain grade 

2 hours ago, Chudders said:

Hi there,

I am making my first direct submission to CGC (rather than through my LCS).  I have a quick but important question to ask about determining the value of the book and choosing the correct tier of service (and associated cost).

Do I determine the value based on the raw price of the book, or its graded value by estimating the potential grade?  For example, I have a Venom 3 3rd print (Knull Cover).  It looks in pristine condition, and I am hoping for a 9.8 after a press.  GoCollect values it at $825 in a 9.8, but its raw value will be considerably less.  What will CGC expect me to do in terms of choosing a tier?

Many thanks

Think of FMV as insurance should something happens to it while CGC has possession of it.  If also affects shipping charges back to you if you use USPS (insurance while it is bring mailed back to you)

You can choose any tier (other than value).  CGC can charge you a higher tier value based on results, but I have no idea how often that happens. 

As deadpoolica said , you can't be sure what grade you'll get back (without prescreening) so you have to balance insurance risk vs time waiting for it vs maximizing value.

3 hours ago, Chudders said:

Hi there,

Many thanks

The value is for insurance purposes.

Here is the answer to your question: How much would you like to get if CGC loses or damages your book?

If you feel this is a 9.8 and would like it insured for its full slabbed value, then select the tier that works with $800.

If you are ok getting $200 if it is damaged or lost, then select the standard modern tier and put $200 value.

@William-James88 is spot on. I just got this exact book graded. I thought it was a 9.8 so I put it to the max $1000 value for that tier. 
I wonder though, why you want to have it pressed if it is pristine? I didn’t have mine pressed, and graded 9.8. 

What I do generally: I’ll usually use raw replacement value in the grade I give a book, but I’ll always go at least $50 per book. If it’s a book I can’t replace without lots of searching, I’ll add value for that, assuming I would have to pay a very high price for the replacement copy once it’s discovered.

19 minutes ago, Joosh said:

@William-James88 is spot on. I just got this exact book graded. I thought it was a 9.8 so I put it to the max $1000 value for that tier. 
I wonder though, why you want to have it pressed if it is pristine? I didn’t have mine pressed, and graded 9.8. 

What I do generally: I’ll usually use raw replacement value in the grade I give a book, but I’ll always go at least $50 per book. If it’s a book I can’t replace without lots of searching, I’ll add value for that, assuming I would have to pay a very high price for the replacement copy once it’s discovered.

I really like your avatar pic, Joosh. I have two copies of that book. I do find it cool how you appreciate golden age and also dabble in moderns. I get a real headache with moderns and the fear of missing out becomes really overbearing for me. So I find refuge in Golden Age where a lot of the pricing and trends are more level and not as much a roller coaster ride and there is a rarity in owning a book at all rather than having it be a 9.8.

On 8/20/2020 at 11:02 PM, William-James88 said:

I really like your avatar pic, Joosh. I have two copies of that book. I do find it cool how you appreciate golden age and also dabble in moderns. I get a real headache with moderns and the fear of missing out becomes really overbearing for me. So I find refuge in Golden Age where a lot of the pricing and trends are more level and not as much a roller coaster ride and there is a rarity in owning a book at all rather than having it be a 9.8.

Thanks! I don’t have a lot of golden age books but I certainly appreciate them, more so than the moderns. Reading them is like a time machine; a glimpse into 40’s-50’s USA.

4 hours ago, Neckbone said:

You really like those GA stories better than MA stories? hm

I didn’t say that, necessarily. The golden age stories themselves are underwhelming; it’s the time in which they were written that tells much of early post-war America. The attitude, vernacular, wardrobe, common sense, and so on... I didn’t exist back then, so it’s foreign to me, but I grew up around people who spent their formative years in this time, so there’s a familiarity as well. 

On 8/22/2020 at 2:00 PM, Joosh said:

Thanks! I don’t have a lot of golden age books but I certainly appreciate them, more so than the moderns. Reading them is like a time machine; a glimpse into 40’s-50’s USA.

I still love the ad "Become Popular!! Learn to play the Piano!!"

20 hours ago, Neckbone said:

You really like those GA stories better than MA stories? hm

I am pretty sure we are talking abut the books as items themselves rather than the stories they contain. At least, I do. 

Like look at this one in my collection, while it is a comic book it is also a memento of US WWII culture (or an artifact of propaganda, depending on your meaning of the words). Also, artists from this era did not go to "cartooning" school, they were illustrators who studied in fine arts. So unlike now, we see art that brings in natural proportions and detail to this new fantastical setting of superheroics. Mac Raboy, whose art you see below, is the best example of that. It's a comic that came out just 4 years after the Action Comics 1, so reading and collecting GA is understanding and owning the birth of the phenomenon that now reigns supreme in today's pop culture. 

00109120830000112105900011.jpg