• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Label, and 1st appearances or Cameos appearances
1 1

13 posts in this topic

I am just curious why it seems that a lot of times, books with Cameos, partial appearances or First Appearances are not on the label for a lot of 2020 books, heck even 2019 books.  I get that likely it is just because CGC is utterly and completely bombarded by submissions which makes knowing every single Key Appearance, hidden, partial, cameo or full, next to impossible to catch.  However, the Venom series and Thor series of Donny Cates is blowing up as far as new characters, and the labels, not really catching them all.

Example : 

Venom 25

• 1st cameo appearance of Codex
  • 1st cameo appearance of Virus

Thor 4 :

1st cameo appearance of the Black Winter

s-l1600.jpg

. Thor 5 :

1st full appearance of The Black Winter

THOR-5-1st-APPEARANCE-BLACK-WINTER-9-8-CGC-SIGNATURE-SERIES-DONNY-CATES

maybe 6 and 7 who knows, none in the wild as far as I know yet.

Not a complaint, as I said, I have sneaking suspicions as to why this is the case.  However, it would be helpful if the labels had these ASAP in my opinion.

I was just curious since Strange Academy #1 had a paragraph of new characters on the label and such.  I used the Venom and Thor examples because all you hear is Key issue this and Key issue that.  Then people run around thinking every venom book is somehow worth $500 lol.

Anyone else annoyed when 3rd prints sell, not are priced, but sell for $900 or more based on who is on the cover of a non key book, meanwhile Key issues of series like X-Men, Avengers! Spider-Man or pick hour favorite DC series, rarely break that value despite being, 20-50 years old?

not upset, as I collect to own,  not to flip for profit,  but it just reminds me so much of the mid to late 1990’s and the lines of people who never read a comic in their life buying as many Death of Supermans as they could lol.

1 hour ago, IMRavnos said:

I was just curious since Strange Academy #1 had a paragraph of new characters on the label and such.  I used the Venom and Thor examples because all you hear is Key issue this and Key issue that.  Then people run around thinking every venom book is somehow worth $500 lol.

Anyone else annoyed when 3rd prints sell, not are priced, but sell for $900 or more based on who is on the cover of a non key book, meanwhile Key issues of series like X-Men, Avengers! Spider-Man or pick hour favorite DC series, rarely break that value despite being, 20-50 years old?

not upset, as I collect to own,  not to flip for profit,  but it just reminds me so much of the mid to late 1990’s and the lines of people who never read a comic in their life buying as many Death of Supermans as they could lol.

:golfclap:

Welcome to the boards, you'll fit in great here!  

15 hours ago, IMRavnos said:

I'm annoyed with instances like Batman: Damned #1. Wanted to read the damn thing, and it was sold out only because of speculation/flipping. I ended up buying one for $40 after the hype died a little, but it would've been nice for someone who actually wants to read the thing to get it at cover price.

9 minutes ago, Wees 2e said:

Why didn't you order it from Previews for cover price?

Never pre-ordered comics before. Didn't consider a "pull list", because I never experienced missing out. In fact, I don't recall being aware of the title prior to its release. It was only after the Batman: Damned situation that I had a pull list - and it was short-lived.

I've only been "collecting" comics for about 5-6 years, and I almost exclusively collect back issues or collected edition reprints.

18 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I'm annoyed with instances like Batman: Damned #1. Wanted to read the damn thing, and it was sold out only because of speculation/flipping. I ended up buying one for $40 after the hype died a little, but it would've been nice for someone who actually wants to read the thing to get it at cover price.

If all you wanted to do was read it at cover price, you could do that with a digital copy. 

On 8/24/2020 at 8:08 PM, IMRavnos said:

I am just curious why it seems that a lot of times, books with Cameos, partial appearances or First Appearances are not on the label for a lot of 2020 books, heck even 2019 books.  I get that likely it is just because CGC is utterly and completely bombarded by submissions which makes knowing every single Key Appearance, hidden, partial, cameo or full, next to impossible to catch.  However, the Venom series and Thor series of Donny Cates is blowing up as far as new characters, and the labels, not really catching them all.

Example : 

Venom 25

• 1st cameo appearance of Codex
  • 1st cameo appearance of Virus

Thor 4 :

1st cameo appearance of the Black Winter

s-l1600.jpg

. Thor 5 :

1st full appearance of The Black Winter

THOR-5-1st-APPEARANCE-BLACK-WINTER-9-8-CGC-SIGNATURE-SERIES-DONNY-CATES

maybe 6 and 7 who knows, none in the wild as far as I know yet.

Not a complaint, as I said, I have sneaking suspicions as to why this is the case.  However, it would be helpful if the labels had these ASAP in my opinion.

I just realized today that all of the Strange Academy 1st appearances actually appeared in Thor 2 because of the massive Preview section in the back. This has to have been covered somewhere no?