• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collectors Only--Spider-Man! OK, Anyone Can Enter Here...

25 posts in this topic

Folks,

Just curious, if you like Spider-Man, how do you collect Spider-Man comics? Do you try to complete full runs of titles in NM? Do you have favorite artists you strive for in a certain grade? Do you look for interesting covers with Spidey? Do you buy only older issues? Do you buy reader copies or mid-range copies and runs?

I have most of the Spider-Man main titles in NM, and all but 102 and 104 above ASM 100 in NM. I have anumber of pre-100 issues in NM, and I have a number of mini-series I've collected with Spider-Man. I recently expanded my want list to include around 1990 and before Spider-Man cover shots, and I recently added Marvel Team-Up. I'm not sure why I didn't start this one earlier, but I only have about 5 issues in NM--long way to go.

Have a great Labor Day weekend!

V/R,

Mike

I collect pre 100 issues and keys 101-150. 7.0 to 9.0 and for 1-15 I look for slight color touch or a page missing etc but still in the VF range.

This is the perfect comic a VF- looking book for $40 due to the back cover stain. I get to read the original book with nice white pages and if I accidentally spill my beer on it, its not the end of the world.

asm22.jpg

asm22bc.jpg

Folks,

Just curious, if you like Spider-Man, how do you collect Spider-Man comics? Do you try to complete full runs of titles in NM? Do you have favorite artists you strive for in a certain grade? Do you look for interesting covers with Spidey? Do you buy only older issues? Do you buy reader copies or mid-range copies and runs?

I have most of the Spider-Man main titles in NM, and all but 102 and 104 above ASM 100 in NM. I have anumber of pre-100 issues in NM, and I have a number of mini-series I've collected with Spider-Man. I recently expanded my want list to include around 1990 and before Spider-Man cover shots, and I recently added Marvel Team-Up. I'm not sure why I didn't start this one earlier, but I only have about 5 issues in NM--long way to go.

Have a great Labor Day weekend!

V/R,

Mike

I collected the complete run of ASM in FN + or better. That was alotta fun. I than traded it all in for 1 single piece of ASM art.

http://www.allstarauc.com/images/auction7/spidr%2040.JPG

I have everything from 35 to current, except 49, and then maybe 7 or 8 below there. I'm working my way down from present getting NM copies of books. Currenty wrapping up 150+ in NM. Maybe 20 or so books left. Trying to do it on the cheap, so I've been waiting for the right deals on books to come along.

Adding pedigrees as they are available, slabbed or raw, but generally not the super high grade stuff. I can handle shelling out $400 for a book, but it really slows down any other collection. Probably a dozen or so pedigreed books, all over 50.

I basicly try to fill in gaps any of my runs when I can afford to get them. I try to set around a 25 book run that I try to fill at a time with the best that I can afford. Some of my lower number books that I currently own, in various runs, are mid-grade, but I'm not worried about upgrading them right now and will wait until I get closer to having a complete set.

Psy

I'm about 30 books short of completing ASM #1 to #500....most Silver books are VG and once I get all of them I plan to start reading #1 and then continue for a few months until I've read all issues back to back yay.gif

I've given up trying now that the baby is on the way. . For sale they go, although I'm keeping most of the 1960s issues that grade out F/VF and higher and some of the nicer 70's issues. At this point, getting the expensive books in the run is too much. I'm not going to stumble upon a super cheap and semi-complete ASM 1 and have too many gaps like 2,3, 5 and 6, 14, 129, etc. and anyway, i'd probably like them in at least mid-grade VG/Fine, and then it's really getting too expensive.

DD 1 - 150 would be easier because I have most of 1 - 10 and a heck of a lot of the others, plus many in decent shape. the #1 is a VG- or so, but I can live with that. but that run is less impressive.

I have a complete run from #1 to # 100 . Including Amazing Fantasy # 15. All different grades some NM , mostly Fines, VF, & VG's The AF # 15 & Spidey # 1 is low grade but solid good or good - but all there. I love those early Spidey's .Assorted grades also in the 100's & 200' s , etc.

This is my new focus now smile.gif

Issues 1- 10 forget about it crazy.gif

From 11- 50 I am trying for VF/NM, the only exception is my 41 which is an 8.5

From 50 -100 I am trying for minumum NM-

The rest from 101 up to 150 I would like to finish in NM, only ones excluded are 101, 102 and 129 which a NM- grade is fine.

I have ASM #1-51,then some gaps to #100.All cgc'd grades range 4.5-9.2. I started collecting this set a few months before the first spidey movie.I needed to take a loan from my 401k to get 1&2......... insane.gifI'm hoping next year come tax time I do ok,because I want to get an AF#15 in a non chipped,good looking 4.5.I figure $3,500 to $3,800 should do it. thumbsup2.gif

Not kidding,took a 4k loan last year........3k for #1,1K for #2........my stock stinks anyway(Verizon)and I'm pulling the rest out the end of this year and closing the account.Going to use the money for a mortgage and being a first time home owner,I won't get hit with any penalties.....of course the day I close the account,the stock will split,and I'll blow my brains out all over my Spidey #1....... thumbsup2.gif

It kind of weird, but I keep improving the condition of my collection of the run I have

and thus keep add more to keep me from finishing.

I have:

200-present in NM and Up

71-199 VF/NM

*** AF 15 - 70 >> I AM MISSING 47 BOOKS TOTAL FROM A COMPLETE RUN....

I plan to own - 20-70 VF (8.0) <through> VF/NM Most CGC

11-20 FN/VF(7.0) <through> VF (8.0)

2-10 FN (6.0)

AF15 and #1 VG+ (5.0)

I hope to have this complete in about a year or two.

This will be a dream in the making since I've been building this collection for over 25 years.

We'll see.

893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I'm trying to put a decent grade Ditko run together. Since these books are expensive CGC only. I need the restoration check so I will avoid trimmed and color touch books. I also colleced low grade just to read them!! Here are some of my favorites. file0169.jpg[/img] file0130.jpg[/img]

I've got a lot of high grade ASM's , both raw and slabbed, Including a complete run from #14 - #350. I've also got about 60 or so slabs, all between #14 to #150, and all in 9.0 or higher. Currently focusing on issues #100 - #200 in 9.4 or higher with perfect to near-perfect "QP", and OW-W or WHITE pages.

ASM is now the only title I collect, and I will probably never stop, regardless of how many I accumulate. I may take breaks(Like most of this year), but I'll never stop being interested in nice ASM's, and I'd never be able to sell my entire collection.