• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Custom label question

11 posts in this topic

On 8/30/2020 at 10:09 AM, Kjones3 819 said:

I was wondering, can I submit a book that is already CGC graded and have a custom label (example NYC spidey) added to it, without the comic having to be regraded?

Yes, just go to the submission page and select the Reholder option. It will ask you for the certification number and an optional custom label, if available and applies to your book. Unless there was evidence of tampering, CGC will not regrade it and honor the previous grade.

I submitted around 5 times with this process, no issues. :)

9 minutes ago, bobotski said:

Yes, just go to the submission page and select the Reholder option. It will ask you for the certification number and an optional custom label, if available and applies to your book. Unless there was evidence of tampering, CGC will not regrade it and honor the previous grade.

I submitted around 5 times with this process, no issues. :)

I dont believe this is accurate. There is a very high probability it will receive the same grade but its not guaranteed.

14 minutes ago, Avi said:

I dont believe this is accurate. There is a very high probability it will receive the same grade but its not guaranteed.

Huh, I thought that was what I meant. If you submit a 9.8 book for reholder service and there is no tampering, it will always get the same 9.8, guaranteed.

23 minutes ago, bobotski said:

Huh, I thought that was what I meant. If you submit a 9.8 book for reholder service and there is no tampering, it will always get the same 9.8, guaranteed.

Im saying it doesnt matter if there was evidence of tamper or not. The book gets graded again.

13 minutes ago, Avi said:
38 minutes ago, bobotski said:

Im saying it doesnt matter if there was evidence of tamper or not. The book gets graded again.

I don't know if you missed something or I did, but there is a difference between getting a book re-holdered and regraded.  But I would also say there's no harm in contacting CGC customer service directly and asking them to walk you through whatever specific situation you happen to be in.

52 minutes ago, Avi said:

We are talking about reholder service here. Here is what the CGC Service & Fees page says. Feel free to read the black and white.

"ReHolder: A comic book in a CGC holder is encapsulated in a new CGC holder. The grade assigned to the book should not change, unless any damage occurred post-encapsulation, in which case the grade will be adjusted accordingly. To qualify, the book must still be encapsulated in its original CGC holder."

image.thumb.png.f729c65dfa9a065ffd476b0723844948.png

Back in the day, if a book didn't show obvious signs of damage (or tampering) CGC would crack it out of the outer shell but leave the inner well and label intact. With the way the new holders are, it can be difficult to remove the old label and add a new one. So it may require a new inner well and a new outer shell, but it still shouldn't need to be regraded unless there are obvious signs of damage...

Damage is not defined to mean damage just to the case. Damage can also mean to the comic. If a 9.8 is sent in with obvious SCS, it's not getting reholdered in a 9.8 case. It's getting regraded. 

3 hours ago, Ryan. said:

Damage is not defined to mean damage just to the case. Damage can also mean to the comic. If a 9.8 is sent in with obvious SCS, it's not getting reholdered in a 9.8 case. It's getting regraded. 

Excellent point!