• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question regarding Star Wars #107- Qualified Label

24 posts in this topic

Hey guys, so I sent in a Star Wars #107 to get graded, knew it could come back 9.2 or better and was super excited when I saw it Finalized/etc.. but after checking the grader's notes and the label....I am not sure how to take this.

I received a green Qualified Label 9.4 and it's noted that, "MANUFACTURED WITH BLANK INTERIOR COVER.".

So my question, how common is this blank interior cover? Did I just ruin the value of this book by getting a Green Label, or does the fact that this is an error issue, do you think this helped the value ?

I have never run into this before and no, I was not the one who sent this is. Someone just did what I asked and didn't really know to look through them, happened to a few books out I sent in lol.

I provided a screenshot. Any information, or where I can find more information on this would most appreciated!!

Screenshot (274).png

Edited by Chicago Joe

It's standard that manufacturing errors get a Green Label.  As Capra said, it depends on how the audience reacts.  For me, there is less value (I want blue or Yellow labels for my books) but there is no question there are "eccentric" collectors out there that want speciality anything, so if there exists a copy that is different then others, there is probably someone out there who wants it.  Will you get what you paid or more?  Depends on how many other eccentrics are out there wanting it and how many other copies exist.  Yours is only one of 2 qualified labels in existence so if there are other copies out there that have this manufacturing defect in it, people aren't sending it into CGC.  

6 hours ago, jaybuck43 said:

It's standard that manufacturing errors get a Green Label.  As Capra said, it depends on how the audience reacts.  For me, there is less value (I want blue or Yellow labels for my books) but there is no question there are "eccentric" collectors out there that want speciality anything, so if there exists a copy that is different then others, there is probably someone out there who wants it.  Will you get what you paid or more?  Depends on how many other eccentrics are out there wanting it and how many other copies exist.  Yours is only one of 2 qualified labels in existence so if there are other copies out there that have this manufacturing defect in it, people aren't sending it into CGC.  

I have had more examples on other posts on different sites of people showing pics of their blue labels with MANUFACTURED WITH BLANK INTERIOR COVER to one persons green label with it, and not sure it was there's, think it was a pic they found. All in all though, the census is besides being only one of two green labeled Star Wars #107 in existence is, this could be a much more rare print of this book than originally thought. Might replace one of my 9.8's in that case. I will keep digging though, hopefully nothing turns out making it a one of a kind hahaha :D 

8 hours ago, jaybuck43 said:

These got blue labels....Are these not manufacturing errors also?

4F17E05E-2000-4787-84A4-B8E1712627BE.png

BB2409C0-AFBC-495E-9FFD-9C48FB3B64B7.png

10 minutes ago, Jordysnordy said:

These got blue labels....Are these not manufacturing errors also?

4F17E05E-2000-4787-84A4-B8E1712627BE.png

BB2409C0-AFBC-495E-9FFD-9C48FB3B64B7.png

CGC seems to give printing errors blue labels and manufacturing errors green labels. Part of me thinks it’s a toss up. Not 100% sure why to be honest. For example all of the venom lethal protector errors are blue label, but the solson how to draw the teenage mutant ninja turtles which was manufactured without the yellow inks in some cases all have a green label. Double cover books are also technically a manufacturing error since they should only have one cover, and those always get blue labels as well. With the OPs book there’s a portion of the book “missing” (I.e. the back cover wasn’t printed on that page). I think the best thing s/he can do is call customer service and ask them about it. They may be willing to either explain why some books get green and some blue, or they may take another look at it. 

1 minute ago, jaybuck43 said:

CGC seems to give printing errors blue labels and manufacturing errors green labels. Part of me thinks it’s a toss up. Not 100% sure why to be honest. For example all of the venom lethal protector errors are blue label, but the solson how to draw the teenage mutant ninja turtles which was manufactured without the yellow inks in some cases all have a green label. Double cover books are also technically a manufacturing error since they should only have one cover, and those always get blue labels as well. With the OPs book there’s a portion of the book “missing” (I.e. the back cover wasn’t printed on that page). I think the best thing s/he can do is call customer service and ask them about it. They may be willing to either explain why some books get green and some blue, or they may take another look at it. 

Venom “white” cover is “missing” the black ink so (shrug)

I think you are right - it’s a toss up.

19 minutes ago, Jordysnordy said:

Venom “white” cover is “missing” the black ink so (shrug)

I think you are right - it’s a toss up.

Technically the belief on the white cover is its missing the gold foil. Similar to the iron man and silver surfer errors where it wasn’t an ink that was missing but some kind of foil or hologram. 

This kind of worries me. I have a really nice GA Fawcett book that was manufactured with the centrefold never having been attached. The staple never went through to it. I wouldn't want it coming back green just because of a manufacturing defect. Honestly, putting a green label on your star wars book doesn't sit right with me. Because a green label is meant to show what universal grade the book would get were it not the one big defect. Well, let's say they don't ignore the manufacturing defect of having that one blank page, would it not be a 9.4?

Edited by William-James88

3 hours ago, William-James88 said:

This kind of worries me. I have a really nice GA Fawcett book that was manufactured with the centrefold never having been attached. The staple never went through to it. I wouldn't want it coming back green just because of a manufacturing defect. Honestly, putting a green label on your star wars book doesn't sit right with me. Because a green label is meant to show what universal grade the book would get were it not the one big defect. Well, let's say they don't ignore the manufacturing defect of having that one blank page, would it not be a 9.4?

I got this reply back today from CGC but it still doesn't make sense, because I've seen errors he talks about with Universal blue labels, quite a lot. I know that if they did put a blue label on this, the grade would go down quite a bit from what I understand. seems they are treating this book like it's garbage rather than a very rare error. I also got an email back from Comic Link Auctions saying that this is the only known copy of this book with this printing error and it's already a low production, so it could be worth a good amount especially being Star Wars. 

Screenshot (1119).png

It's cool. Is it cooler than a 9.2 regular? Maybe but you will have to find that ONE guy and I wish you luck. Personally, since I cannot see the defect, I would never know it is there. If I am a defect collector guy (and I have a few things in the PC like interior printing errors, double covers, etc.) I want that raw so I can show and share and see it. This you will never see again unless ya crack it. 

29 minutes ago, Chicago Joe said:

I got this reply back today from CGC but it still doesn't make sense, because I've seen errors he talks about with Universal blue labels, quite a lot. I know that if they did put a blue label on this, the grade would go down quite a bit from what I understand. seems they are treating this book like it's garbage rather than a very rare error. I also got an email back from Comic Link Auctions saying that this is the only known copy of this book with this printing error and it's already a low production, so it could be worth a good amount especially being Star Wars. 

Screenshot (1119).png

Sounds like it wouldnt get hit much if judged as universal. If it's as rare/valuable as you think, it could be worthwhile to send it back and ask specifically for a Universal Label.

19 minutes ago, Ready Fire Aim said:

Examples, links?

Well it is a defective copy. Some us would actually pass or pay less for a book like this.

I wonder how this compares with Canadian GA books that have blank interior covers hm

Or what about the Amazing Spider-Man Annual 1 that had blank covers? 

At any rate, in terms of this being a "very rare" error....ok, sure. But valuable?

It's like the issue of Marvel Spotlight with Captain Marvel that is missing the issue number and the guy on ebay trying to sell his copy of DC Comics presents with a FF interior. To me, both are fun but worth more than an actual copy? In the case of the Marvel Spotlight, maybe I pay $1-2 more for the novelty of that error. Plus it is common. For a cover on a wrong book from an opposing publisher? Cool, maybe I pay $100 more to own something that unique.

This falls somewhere in there but closer to the Marvel Spotlight type error than the wrong cover for the wrong company type, if that makes sense. And again, you gotta find the guy who has to have it. 99% of guys completing a Star Wars run will want to pay market or less for their copy of 107. Why would they pay more for an oddball that appears the same from the outside? They won't. You need to find the oddball error comic collector and maybe, just maybe, you make a little more than your standard Star Wars 107 CGC 9.4 Blue. 

Edited by comicginger1789

31 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Or what about the Amazing Spider-Man Annual 1 that had blank covers? 

At any rate, in terms of this being a "very rare" error....ok, sure. But valuable?

It's like the issue of Marvel Spotlight with Captain Marvel that is missing the issue number and the guy on ebay trying to sell his copy of DC Comics presents with a FF interior. To me, both are fun but worth more than an actual copy? In the case of the Marvel Spotlight, maybe I pay $1-2 more for the novelty of that error. Plus it is common. For a cover on a wrong book from an opposing publisher? Cool, maybe I pay $100 more to own something that unique.

This falls somewhere in there but closer to the Marvel Spotlight type error than the wrong cover for the wrong company type, if that makes sense. And again, you gotta find the guy who has to have it. 99% of guys completing a Star Wars run will want to pay market or less for their copy of 107. Why would they pay more for an oddball that appears the same from the outside? They won't. You need to find the oddball error comic collector and maybe, just maybe, you make a little more than your standard Star Wars 107 CGC 9.4 Blue. 

28 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Blue Star Wars 9.4 copies have been selling under $100. Maybe with the error you can eek out $125. I think hoping for more is dreaming. 

Mind you, if you sell for $1000 I will happily admit I was wrong. 

I could care less about the value of the book, as many of you are pointing out. I'm not trying to get rich. Many of you can say it, but I actually mean it. I get by just fine. I didn't make this post because I am gittier than a schoolgirl on prom night thinking I am going to become a millionaire LOL I literally just asked if anyone knew any more info on this book as far as, like anyone else heard of this error on this book, why they graded a green over a blue when there are plenty of examples of even the same exact errors on other books getting blue labels, like I said you guys can Google and find them or look on eBay lol, I could care less if this books sells for $50 or $5k. I have two 9.8's already and have 89/107 of the entire run....

I don't quite think people read my post right lol. 

43 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

Sounds like it wouldnt get hit much if judged as universal. If it's as rare/valuable as you think, it could be worthwhile to send it back and ask specifically for a Universal Label.

I am not entirely sure, I was thinking about having it sent back in and taking a hit to the grade to get a blue label. It's such an awesome and unique error, I will probably keep as is and put it on my way next to my 9.8's. I mean, the only other 107 Qualified I found out from a friend who works for one of the major auction websites said that it had a name written on marker. So, if there are more out there like this one of this exact book, no one else seems to be sending them in. This would be my first green label to go on my wall!