• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can an Ebay seller really be this Unaware??? or is it a scam???
5 5

442 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, tvindy said:

Thank you! It looks like I have some research to do. No Chris Claremont? I guess after he left the X-Men he was never able to recapture the magic. :(

I always thought John Byrne was the force behind the X-Men, with Claremont along for the ride. As soon as Byrne left the title, the quality of the stories tanked. Claremont was just a really messy writer, anyone see his Sovereign Seven? Really incoherent stuff.

Edited by kustomizer
tyepoe

11 minutes ago, kustomizer said:

I awlays thought John Byrne was the force behind the X-Men, with Claremont along for the ride. As soon as Byrne left the title, the quality of the stories tanked. Claremont was just a really messy writer, anyone see his Sovereign Seven? Really incoherent stuff.

Hmm, I don't know about about that. Claremont came on board with X-Men 94 and wrote every X-men and New Mutants story for the next 17 years. I know Byrne co-wrote, but I don't think he was there that consistently. I was excited when Byrne took over Fantastic Four but found the stories to be good but nowhere near as good as the X-Men. But I also remember Claremont getting into scifi novels. I purchased and read the first one and was very disappointed. So who knows? (shrug)

19 minutes ago, kustomizer said:

I always thought John Byrne was the force behind the X-Men, with Claremont along for the ride. As soon as Byrne left the title, the quality of the stories tanked. Claremont was just a really messy writer, anyone see his Sovereign Seven? Really incoherent stuff.

Speaking of drek, I recently bought a "mystery box" of DC books from a nearby LCS on a whim (and to have some books to give to my kid ultimately) - it was mostly full of Sovereign Seven garbage. Sorry kiddo, here's some 50 cent bin fodder for ya... xD

Edited by Jesse-Lee

6 minutes ago, tvindy said:

Hmm, I don't know about about that. Claremont came on board with X-Men 94 and wrote every X-men and New Mutants story for the next 17 years. I know Byrne co-wrote, but I don't think he was there that consistently. I was excited when Byrne took over Fantastic Four but found the stories to be good but nowhere near as good as the X-Men. But I also remember Claremont getting into scifi novels. I purchased and read the first one and was very disappointed. So who knows? (shrug)

Yep, I read one of Claremont's sci-fi novels too. Thought it was terrible, but my wife loved it.

I agree with you about Byrne's FF, not my cuppa. Byrne and Claremont were never as good apart as they were together. I liken it to the Kirby - Lee situation.

8 minutes ago, Jesse-Lee said:

Speaking of drek, I recently bought a "mystery box" of DC books from a nearby LCS on a whim (and to have some books to give to my kid ultimately) - it was mostly full of Sovereign Seven garbage. Sorry kiddo, here's some 50 cent bin fodder for ya... xD

I remember when one of our LCS's went out of business -- all modern comics were 50 cents each. And I still didn't want any of them. That would have been in the '90s, if that makes any difference. I scored a ton of good TPBs though.

14 minutes ago, tvindy said:

As soon as Byrne left the X-Men, Claremont started on those Alien rip-off stories (the Brood) and every second cover seemed to imply the death of a major character. It reeked of desperation. Also, Cockrum's art was by then extremely disappointing, especially with those watery Rubenstein inks.

Just now, kustomizer said:

I remember when one of our LCS's went out of business -- all modern comics were 50 cents each. And I still didn't want any of them. That would have been in the '90s, if that makes any difference. I scored a ton of good TPBs though.

I'm just waiting for 5-10 years from now when some movie gets announced and Sovereign Seven 14 or whatever has a last page panel of a character's knee that makes the book worth about 5 grand. And I'll be kicking myself for letting my kid read it. xD

3 minutes ago, kustomizer said:

Yep, I read one of Claremont's sci-fi novels too. Thought it was terrible, but my wife loved it.

I agree with you about Byrne's FF, not my cuppa. Byrne and Claremont were never as good apart as they were together. I liken it to the Kirby - Lee situation.

Interesting. That might explain why Claremont (afaik) never did anything great after the X-Men. One thing I will say is that whether due to Claremont alone or the Claremont/Byrne combo, no other writer has ever produced a good X-Men story. The entire run of Ultimate X-Men (pre-Ultimatum Event) was mediocre and forgettable.

1 minute ago, kustomizer said:

As soon as Byrne left the X-Men, Claremont started on those Alien rip-off stories (the Brood) and every second cover seemed to imply the death of a major character. It reeked of desperation. Also, Cockrum's art was by then extremely disappointing, especially with those watery Rubenstein inks.

Although I do love this cover, actually just picked it up this week:

X-Men 234.jpeg

1 minute ago, Jesse-Lee said:

I'm just waiting for 5-10 years from now when some movie gets announced and Sovereign Seven 14 or whatever has a last page panel of a character's knee that makes the book worth about 5 grand. And I'll be kicking myself for letting my kid read it. xD

No-o-o-o!! I'll be kicking myself around the block!!

7 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

WTB IH 7-100

hello ! i was a big fan of the TV show from 40 yrs ago ! i just really liked Lou Farigno but i especially liked Bill Bickbsy  !

i am looking to buy issues 7-100 , or would purchase the omnibus volumes,.. top $ paid

no hall of shame/ on probation sellers 

Have you seen the 1960s TV series, My Favorite Martian? Perfect for a Bill Bixby fan. 

3 minutes ago, tvindy said:

Interesting. That might explain why Claremont (afaik) never did anything great after the X-Men. One thing I will say is that whether due to Claremont alone or the Claremont/Byrne combo, no other writer has ever produced a good X-Men story. The entire run of Ultimate X-Men (pre-Ultimatum Event) was mediocre and forgettable.

People burn out too. Even Kirby did, eventually. I think with the X-Men there is often the attitude that the mere presence of the characters (especially Wolive) was more important than a good story.

Edited by kustomizer

3 minutes ago, kustomizer said:

I liked the Brood stories. That's how Professor X got his new younger body (which explained why he never became elderly), and he didn't need a wheelchair anymore. (Except later on he's in a wheelchair again for some reason, which is dumb.)

3 minutes ago, tvindy said:

I liked the Brood stories. That's how Professor X got his new younger body (which explained why he never became elderly), and he didn't need a wheelchair anymore. (Except later on he's in a wheelchair again for some reason, which is dumb.)

I feel the John Romita JR Issues were the absolute low-point. I stopped buying then.