• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can an Ebay seller really be this Unaware??? or is it a scam???
5 5

442 posts in this topic

Just now, tvindy said:

Interesting. I guess the industry just became complacent after their success in the 80s. I can see how foil covers would look cool to people in the 90s, though.

Yeah, complacency is a good word for it. Other good words and phrases for it are 'bumbling incompetence', 'lack of talent', 'get rich quick' etc.

5 hours ago, kav said:
5 hours ago, gadzukes said:

I've put up bundles of 20 superman comics in NM condition from the 1990s for $.99 + shipping on ebay before and had maybe only 5 people even look at the auction over a 5 day period, with no bids.  I'm just going to Goodwill that stuff from now on.  If LCSs had nickel bins I don't even think it would sell.

They just dont sell.  I hate it when ppl say wow just buy all them longboxes and at $2 a book $60,000!!!!
Nope.  Or when they say 'just bundle em up in packs and $5 a pack!!!  $$$$
Nope nope nope.
NOPE

It's a good thing you guys aren't comic dealers, because you would suck at it.

1 minute ago, tvindy said:

Interesting. I guess the industry just became complacent after their success in the 80s. I can see how foil covers would look cool to people in the 90s, though.

That was the foil age. Even the vitamin companies were packaging their supplements with foil and laser-etched labels and were outselling their paper and ink labeled competition by far.

46 minutes ago, kav said:

I recall one boardie had a neighbor who literally filled his garage with boxes of death of superman.  He was certain he would be a multimillionaire.  lol 

Remember how people were in line wrapped around the block waiting to get their "Death of Superman" comic from the LCS.  OMG I couldn't believe it.  I'm an avid comic collector and even I didn't fall for that rubbish.  To this day I have never owned that issue.

3 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

Remember how people were in line wrapped around the block waiting to get their "Death of Superman" comic from the LCS.  OMG I couldn't believe it.  I'm an avid comic collector and even I didn't fall for that rubbish.  To this day I have never owned that issue.

I keep my Jurgens signed SS 9.6 as a tribute to the greatness of the scam that DC pulled on the world with “death” of Superman.

Just now, kustomizer said:

That sleazy debacle pretty much taught the mainstream never to trust comic gimmicks.

Superman is like Super Hydra-kill one, 4 pop up in his place-

13 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

I remember when there was a hard and fast rule that Bucky Barnes was the one character who was definitely going to remain dead. That didn't last either.

Just now, kustomizer said:

I remember when there was a hard and fast rule that Bucky Barnes was the one character who was definitely going to remain dead. That didn't last either.

Even Jor-El and Lara aint dead-
BOOKSTEVE'S LIBRARY: Superboy's Darkest Secret

43 minutes ago, kav said:

I recall one boardie had a neighbor who literally filled his garage with boxes of death of superman.  He was certain he would be a multimillionaire.  lol 

Those comics in 9.8 are currently selling for around $100, so if he's still got them, he should do okay.

5 minutes ago, tvindy said:

Those comics in 9.8 are currently selling for around $100, so if he's still got them, he should do okay.

minus grading fees plus 9.8's are rare-he would lose money slabbing and hoping for 9.8s.

9 minutes ago, kustomizer said:

That sleazy debacle pretty much taught the mainstream never to trust comic gimmicks.

The industry should pivot to “Dearth of...” titles.

— Next week: “Dearth of Thor” hits the shelves!  Only 500 copies will be printed! —

But they’d probably ruin the gimmick by releasing a 2nd (and 3rd and 4th and 5th) print.

8 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

The industry should pivot to “Dearth of...” titles.

— Next week: “Dearth of Thor” hits the shelves!  Only 500 copies will be printed! —

But they’d probably ruin the gimmick by releasing a 2nd (and 3rd and 4th and 5th) print.

Currently there is a way dearth of variants.  They are not rare.  At all.

6 minutes ago, kav said:

minus grading fees plus 9.8's are rare-he would lose money slabbing and hoping for 9.8s.

He bought them new, though, so assuming he avoided any with obvious defects, immediately bagged and boarded them in mylar, and kept them in a temperature-controlled garage over the past 27 years, he should have lots of 9.8s. With shipping and grading fees, he could still easily become a multi-millionaire with as few as 30,000 9.8s, assuming there are 30,000 prospective buyers out there. (And to think, you were laughing at him.) lol:bigsmile:

Just now, tvindy said:

He bought them new, though, so assuming he avoided any with obvious defects, immediately bagged and boarded them in mylar, and kept them in a temperature-controlled garage over the past 27 years, he should have lots of 9.8s. With shipping and grading fees, he could still easily become a multi-millionaire with as few as 30,000 9.8s, assuming there are 30,000 prospective buyers out there. (And to think, you were laughing at him.) lol:bigsmile:

No-books that arrive right to LCS are rarely 9.8s.  Even untouched.

16 minutes ago, tvindy said:

10 minutes ago, kav said:

Really depends. Yes a lot of people think they have 9.8's, but in reality they are much lower. That said if he actually has them in 9.8 especially if they are Newsstand or the later DC Universe Logo Prints they can sell for decent money.20200910_214744.thumb.jpg.bafce1245f3873c1976c74f3d3d43fec.jpg

But yes outside of the few specific issues or 9.8+ most you can not give away.

1 minute ago, kav said:

No-books that arrive right to LCS are rarely 9.8s.  Even untouched.

+1,000,000 to this...

Definitely my 9.8 comments do not fully convey this point enough.  Especially when most of those have black edges.

Just now, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

+1,000,000 to this...

Definitely my 9.8 comments do not fully convey this point enough.  Especially when most of those have black edges.

I once naively thought books that came in fresh must all be 9.8s.  Boy was i wrong.

1 minute ago, kav said:

I once naively thought books that came in fresh must all be 9.8s.  Boy was i wrong.

Think most of us have been there. Takes a really good eye to even spot the difference between 9.4-9.8 . I would say 9.6 , but recently they have been giving some gift grades and really HARSH grades. All a flip of the coin.