• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can an Ebay seller really be this Unaware??? or is it a scam???
5 5

442 posts in this topic

On 9/4/2020 at 8:46 PM, kav said:

what do you guys think the scam is?  get the funds then close his paypal acct and get banned from ebay?

Unless paypal has changed their policy, that won't work. A seller with very low feedback, none at all for at least a year, isn't selling much. Suddenly, from out of nowhere, a $10,000+ transaction? Crossing the $10,000 threshold will spike their system alone, unless a seller has a track record of $10K+ sales, but with limited sales activity + a trans-$10K sale? There's no way that paypal isn't going to effect at least a 21 day hold on the funds, and possibly even longer, until the buyer receives his merchandise and confirms that it's what he paid for. 

22 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Unless paypal has changed their policy, that won't work. A seller with very low feedback, none at all for at least a year, isn't selling much. Suddenly, from out of nowhere, a $10,000+ transaction? Crossing the $10,000 threshold will spike their system alone, unless a seller has a track record of $10K+ sales, but with limited sales activity + a trans-$10K sale? There's no way that paypal isn't going to effect at least a 21 day hold on the funds, and possibly even longer, until the buyer receives his merchandise and confirms that it's what he paid for. 

Ok that may offer some protection for the buyer however if the seller is not forthcoming on the hulk 1-6 and a person decides to bid on the collection and receives all the books pictured including the hulks  wouldn’t the seller have an argument that “I never said they were original’s or complete” and possibly  ebay would find in favor of the seller as they shipped out exactly what was pictured???  Just wondering

Edited by anstettoman

1 hour ago, anstettoman said:

Ok that may offer some protection for the buyer however if the seller is not forthcoming on the hulk 1-6 and a person decides to bid on the collection and receives all the books pictured including the hulks  wouldn’t the seller have an argument that “I never said they were original’s or complete” and possibly  ebay would find in favor of the seller as they shipped out exactly what was pictured???  Just wondering

Ebay and paypal tend to side with the buyer and in most cases don't even ask for seller input. They send out an email with some language about, "a case has been decided in favor of the buyer" without a seller even having been asked about particulars. The seller is told that if he doesn't issue a refund by X date, paypal (or ebay) will step in and do it. At least that's my understanding as having been related to me. I won't sell on ebay due to the potential 6 month chargeback possibility. If I have something to sell, I go Link or Heritage or Connect to sell seamlessly, without the potential ebay nonsense. 

So with the paypal 21 day funds availability lag for new sellers or sellers without the necessary track record to avoid that delay, the only way for a seller to take the money and run is if he delays shipment or has an unusually long handling time. 

Edited by James J Johnson

Hey everyone, names Niel just wanted to ask a question, I just joined and saw this, and wanted to just ask is the only thing everyone’s worried about the hulk 1-6? Is the fact that there’s so much more with this not even worth the current price, one member just said, +9k. Just asking not trying to rock the boat. 

51 minutes ago, kustomizer said:

Yeah, it's an understandable oversight, could happen to anyone.

1 hour ago, kustomizer said:

I asked the seller for more info or a clear photo of the slabbed Action Comics #1. You know, the unmentioned presence of a $3 million dollar comic is going to raise questions.

That was 24 hours ago and haven't heard back.

1 hour ago, James J Johnson said:

Maybe at some point he'll realize that the Action 1 escaped his notice and he'll amend his listing including info on that. :roflmao:

We already have one. It's very nice. 

Your Grail. May we see it?

No now go away or I will have to taunt you a second time. 

python_lead.thumb.jpg.4121d2fc8688a020193ed32123d473e4.jpg

6 minutes ago, Getyourcomicshere said:

Zero feedback, Action 1 1987 reprint and Hulks 1-6 are replicas.  Scammer

I would bet the house on it.

no marvel chipping whatsoever on them books.

On 9/4/2020 at 6:48 PM, valiantman said:

First of all, the 60 boxes claimed in the title are only 30 boxes in the picture, even counting Clorox.

The Incredible Hulk #1 was printed on modern paper.  It wasn't that white in 1962, let alone 58 years later.  It seems very possible that all 6 issues are just replicas.

This looks like about $20 to $50 per box, maximum... with a lot of effort to move the drek.  That's $600 to $1,500 total.

The slabs are likely about $20 to $25 each, and there are 20 of them.  That's another $400 to $500. 

The current bid is $4,050 - and the realistic RESALE value (with a lot of effort) is around $1,000 to $2,000.  Shipping is only $850, so the current total bid is $4,900.

For someone who claims to not collect anything, they certainly spent a lot of time buying books from different book sellers ten years ago to get that feedback score all the way up to 22.

That's the "why"... but if you only wanted the "what", it's a...

SCAM.

Dont forget in some states 9.75% taxes.. but on the flipside a possible $100 earned in ebucks!

17 minutes ago, Getyourcomicshere said:

So he states he has no interest in collecting anything and yet, I just checked his buying feedback and he's purchased from many comic dealers in the past.  This guy is as shady as a 3 dollar bill.

Screenshot_20200908-022410_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20200908-022931_eBay.jpg

And I found a guy on ebay selling replicas.  How Ebay allows this, I don't know but that's another issue.  So this seller could have easily  purchased replicas and aged them.

Screenshot_20200908-024445_eBay.jpg

Just now, anstettoman said:

With the exception of the questions related to the hulks and action comics wonder if anyone has asked the seller if there are 60 boxes of comic books picture books, funny books etc are not necessarily all comic books just wondering??

Indeed.... That Action Comics #1 really is the elephant in the room though.