• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PayPal Hacked?
2 2

95 posts in this topic

On 9/5/2020 at 10:22 AM, skypinkblu said:

Sorry that happened to you. I've always been concerned about giving anyone access to my accounts, so I keep a low minimum balance in the account attached to PP.

Now I'm thinking of just deleting it altogether, so thank you for sharing.

when i tried to remove a bank account from my paypal yesterday i was unable to do so. perhaps related to this hack. 

1 minute ago, www.alexgross.com said:

when i tried to remove a bank account from my paypal yesterday i was unable to do so. perhaps related to this hack. 

My fiance’s Account wouldn’t let her remove her bank account because the transaction transferring the money from her bank account to PayPal still shows as pending. She went to just complete close her PayPal account and it wouldn’t allow her for the same reason today. I have no pending transactions and I was able to remove my Bank Account yesterday.

I am seeing some people who go through their banks to have the transaction canceled are also having their banks put a block on all transactions being done through PayPal going forward. 

6 minutes ago, Mephisto said:

My fiance’s Account wouldn’t let her remove her bank account because the transaction transferring the money from her bank account to PayPal still shows as pending. She went to just complete close her PayPal account and it wouldn’t allow her for the same reason today. I have no pending transactions and I was able to remove my Bank Account yesterday.

I am seeing some people who go through their banks to have the transaction canceled are also having their banks put a block on all transactions being done through PayPal going forward. 

there is no transaction in process, but still now paypal wont let me remove the bank account. the error message says " sorry, we're not able to process your request right now. try again later."  incredible. what a great company paypal is.  also this occurs with any of my accounts that are linked. i have three. 

Edited by www.alexgross.com

18 hours ago, kav said:

damn I got double greggy'd.

No. You're seeing right. There are two Greggys!  At some point Greggy split into two and replicated, like an amoeba. Nature felt that was just too much wonderful for one person and nature took its course. Few have seen this double Greggy as one Greggy stands directly in back of the other from anyone's perspective. You must have been doing 100 easy, to catch it! Well done! (worship)

7 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

No. You're seeing right. There are two Greggys!  At some point Greggy split into two and replicated, like an amoeba. Nature felt that was just too much wonderful for one person and nature took its course. Few have seen this double Greggy as one Greggy stands directly in back of the other from anyone's perspective. You must have been doing 100 easy, to catch it! Well done! (worship)

:frustrated: :cuss:  :blowbrainsout::ohnoez: :pullhair:  :censored:

665135139_Screenshot2020-09-05at11_22_44PM.png.54f4379ca33275de3c3edb5c1026bde1.png

7 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

heres what paypal says in the text chat when you tell the bot you want to speak to a human:

"Would you like to send this conversation to a customer support agent? We typically respond within a few hours."

F U paypal! 

time for a Forbes article I think.

Also, for those who have this happening to them, are you receiving emails letting you know this transaction is taking place?  I'm logging into PP every few minutes to see if any funny business is going on. It sure would be nice if I could stop doing that & just check my email now & then.

1 hour ago, Gaard said:

Also, for those who have this happening to them, are you receiving emails letting you know this transaction is taking place?  I'm logging into PP every few minutes to see if any funny business is going on. It sure would be nice if I could stop doing that & just check my email now & then.

My fiancé said she only got an email in Spanish about the $1,000 transfer form her bank account to her PayPal. She never got an email from PayPal about the language being switched or the telephone number on the account being changed...which a good company should flag as suspicious acitivy and want to verify with a user...

Thanks for the heads up on this.

I was able to delete my bank account on Paypal (secondary method of payment - credit card is preferred method) with no issues. Paypal sent email confirmation right away verifying the deletion.

If one can, probably use a credit card as preferred method of payment on Paypal. May be easier to deal with your credit card company direct , than Paypal, if any shenanigans arise and if you still want to use Paypal.

Edited by DanCooper

1 minute ago, DanCooper said:

Thanks for the heads up on this.

I was able to delete my bank account on Paypal (secondary method of payment - credit card is preferred method) with no issues. Paypal sent email confirmation right away verifying the deletion.

If one can, probably use a credit card as preferred method of payment on Paypal. May be easier to deal with your credit card company direct than Paypal, if any shenanigans arise arise and you still want to use Paypal.

Does this mean you can no longer transfer money to your bank after a sale?

5 minutes ago, kav said:

Good point Kav!

I was looking at it from more a buyer's perspective.

I guess if you need to transfer to bank, keep a bank account as secondary method of payment and this will allow the transfer of funds to bank.

Hopefully, using a credit card as preferred method on Paypal, will cut down on getting stuck with any scam effects (credit card company involved in assisting and reversing payments)

4 minutes ago, kav said:

Probably. I took mine out for the time being (I don’t do many sales). I want to see how things shake out. I also changed my password which also didn’t function properly for me on their website and I wound up just having to use the reset method instead.

It’s a bit concerning when two savy people in the same small office have the exact same thing happen within two days of each other. It’s not like they are using their work emails or work computers to access PayPal. Then you tack on a FB friend in another state reports the same thing happen and the number of people complaining about it on the PayPal FB page it’s a bit concerning. 

Given I know my fiancé and her coworker wouldn’t have both been foolish enough to click a link in an email and then log in through that link I’m much more concerned there was security breach involving PayPal’s system than people falling for an email phishing scam.

20 minutes ago, Mephisto said:

Probably. I took mine out for the time being (I don’t do many sales). I want to see how things shake out. I also changed my password which also didn’t function properly for me on their website and I wound up just having to use the reset method instead.

It’s a bit concerning when two savy people in the same small office have the exact same thing happen within two days of each other. It’s not like they are using their work emails or work computers to access PayPal. Then you tack on a FB friend in another state reports the same thing happen and the number of people complaining about it on the PayPal FB page it’s a bit concerning. 

Given I know my fiancé and her coworker wouldn’t have both been foolish enough to click a link in an email and then log in through that link I’m much more concerned there was security breach involving PayPal’s system than people falling for an email phishing scam.

same office maybe the wireless was tapped?

7 minutes ago, kav said:

7 minutes ago, kav said:

Telecommuting due to Covid. The other guy hasn’t been in the office in months. My fiancé only goes in a few days a week since she is a supervisor. They aren’t allowed to connect their personal phone’s to the WiFi due to the agency being a state government office.

Edited by Mephisto