• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

File Copy Designation
1 1

9 posts in this topic

I'm about to send in some books to a presser then onto CGC for grading.  I got one silver age book that I was told was a "file copy".  I've got zero documentation to prove that however. 

I've seen CGC indicate on the label books that are File Copy and it seems desirable to have that designation.  How do I indicate on the form that it is a file copy in order to receive that designation?   

5 minutes ago, Bluemedgroup said:

I'm about to send in some books to a presser then onto CGC for grading.  I got one silver age book that I was told was a "file copy".  I've got zero documentation to prove that however. 

I've seen CGC indicate on the label books that are File Copy and it seems desirable to have that designation.  How do I indicate on the form that it is a file copy in order to receive that designation?   

You will need documentation. You usually have to send CGC a copy of that documentation because they won't return it to you. 

If you have no documentation, then how do you even know that it's a file copy?

1 hour ago, shadroch said:

The term File  Copy is greatly over-used and abused in our hobby.

Penske file 

5 hours ago, William-James88 said:

You will need documentation. You usually have to send CGC a copy of that documentation because they won't return it to you. 

If you have no documentation, then how do you even know that it's a file copy?

I figured so.  I guess word of mouth from trusted seller won’t cut it huh.  

On 9/8/2020 at 3:50 PM, shadroch said:

The term File  Copy is greatly over-used and abused in our hobby.

Aren't they supposed to be actual File Copies from the files of a comic book publisher, although I do believe there are so many Harvey File Copies of the same books that these might actually be nothing more than copies from the Harvey warehouse?  hm  

Similar to the Random House File Copies which I believe must also be coming from the publisher's warehouse since there are once again multiple copies of the exact same issues out there. :p

The only real Files Copies which I would tend to pay a premium for would be the Poughkeepsie File Copies from the late 30's and early 40's, especially the ones with written notes or a big "X" slashed on the covers.  These ones all appear to be in HG condition and most likely did sit in an actual filing cabinet at the publisher's office.  Kind of reminds me of the Camp copies of the Okajima pedigree books which do carry a premium over the unmarked copies.  :luhv: