• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM TOS39 (CT)
3 3

13 posts in this topic

Hello, 

I recently had an opportunity to buy 2 major marvel SA keys from a trusted seller I've made major purchases from in the past.  He gave me a great great deal, but disclosed both books have had some cosmetic surgery (or in this case, make up?)

I'll be curious to hear opinions on grade and what if any actions I should take with the book. Removing the CT doesn't seem viable because there is allot of it and I can't see doing that much scraping.  I would be open to having a pro do a better job or take additional action if there is an opportunity to improve the grade.

(Close ups of the CT I have found at the end - none appears to bleed through). 

20200912_144530.jpg

20200912_144448.jpg

20200912_144611.jpg

20200912_144827.jpg

20200912_144650.jpg

20200912_144541.jpg

20200912_144559.jpg

20200912_144547.jpg

20200912_144454.jpg

12 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

I wouldn't do any more work on the book.  It looks nice the way it is.  It looks like the most damage is at the top of the back cover, and I can'y see all of it.  I'm thinking a 6.0  

Agreed

I think 6.0 is fair. Presents well without the need to alter anything.

14 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

I wouldn't do any more work on the book.  It looks nice the way it is.  It looks like the most damage is at the top of the back cover, and I can'y see all of it.  I'm thinking a 6.0  

I agree with you and don't really plan to do much to it because I'm not sure what could realistically be done. 

I am always curious to hear from folks like you with allot more experience than myself. 

Just now, Joe Ankenbauer said:

Man, and I thought <I> had ugly feet. :baiting: I agree, leave it as is, and hope for a 6.0. I think it's a 5.5.

I was hoping the TOS39 would distract people from my feet.  But I guess you can never discount the draw of ugly feet! 

The top edge of the back cover appears to be a problem area, and it is tough to see all of it. Hard to grade what you can't see, but it certainly looks nice enough to be in the Fine range. 

Also, keep in mind that where there's one type of resto, there's often another. Check for glue on the spine, tear seals, trimming, missing pages or coupons, etc. 

Still, a nice looking book. Congratulations!  

3 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

The top edge of the back cover appears to be a problem area, and it is tough to see all of it. Hard to grade what you can't see, but it certainly looks nice enough to be in the Fine range. 

Also, keep in mind that where there's one type of resto, there's often another. Check for glue on the spine, tear seals, trimming, missing pages or coupons, etc. 

Still, a nice looking book. Congratulations!  

TOS39R.thumb.jpg.e2e77340c3b62f9cb9e70aa6efe16661.jpgthis is a back cover photo from the seller.   

I did go through the book and count pages and look for coupons. That all looks good. I might take a second look for glue and tear seal. 

As for trimming, it doesn't look like it to me, but I've been wrong before.  I'll take a closer look at that to. 

It will be a few weeks before I submit. My wallet needs a bit of a break...  but I'll update everyone with results and what CGC finds. 

1 hour ago, KCOComics said:

TOS39R.thumb.jpg.e2e77340c3b62f9cb9e70aa6efe16661.jpgthis is a back cover photo from the seller.   

I did go through the book and count pages and look for coupons. That all looks good. I might take a second look for glue and tear seal. 

As for trimming, it doesn't look like it to me, but I've been wrong before.  I'll take a closer look at that to. 

It will be a few weeks before I submit. My wallet needs a bit of a break...  but I'll update everyone with results and what CGC finds. 

Thank you so much for this photo---it helps a great deal. 

The edges appear a bit rough and there is a small amount of chipping present, but that top edge doesn't look so bad. I think the key here is that the chips, wear and discoloration appear to be fairly minor.

Also, it does look like the spine has some moderate wear on the very edge. It's very important if there are any holes or splits in the spine because that will almost always impact the grade.  

It will be interesting to see what grade CGC will give this book. Personally, I think the overall appearance of the book is very attractive, which should boost the overall value if you ever decide to sell it. I hope this helps, and good luck...