• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Fail
1 1

29 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, telerites said:

Your mileage has been better than mine with them.  My first auction win was 2001and have bid consistently since. I have never been impressed with their raw grading. 

Since I collect a lot of esoteric GA that is more sparse I buy raw books but since that reglossing fiasco five or six years ago I avoid their raw books.

I had a fiasco of my own with them and a married cover. Their customer service was more kind to me then it was to you. So yeah I guess my mileage has been better in more ways than 1. Sorry to hear though, I too collect rare GA books so it's not fun to lose any option of getting one.

13 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

This needs context although I’ve got a pretty good idea of the point you’re trying to make..  Do you mean by “modern collectors” those who collect modern era comics or do you mean today’s collectors as opposed to old school collectors? :foryou:

All of the above!  Although I'm guilty of it as well.  As a kid, i wanted expensive books not just because they were important, but because they (allegedly) finally revealed who the Hobgoblin REALLY was!  Now, if I'm awed by a cover, I feel the need to chase it.  It just feels like in the hobby now, people are all about the cover, and this spills over to me as well :(  Modern, bronze, silver, and golden.  But to be fair, I still seek out rare old books regardless of cover.  But I'm a cover chaser as well lol.

*edit* Now I think I understand your question.  Old school collectors compared to current collectors.  My fault trying to answer a response to a post I made while inebriated while surprisingly still inebriated.  

Edited by waaaghboss

11 hours ago, William-James88 said:

I had a fiasco of my own with them and a married cover. Their customer service was more kind to me then it was to you. So yeah I guess my mileage has been better in more ways than 1. Sorry to hear though, I too collect rare GA books so it's not fun to lose any option of getting one.

It was more the customer service response that irked me.  I felt an appropriate response would have been as simple --- we review every book and may have missed something, feel free to send it back for a refund; instead of if there was restoration, it would have been noted in the description (and I felt it was adversarial in tone).  In most cases, HA's customer service has been very good and could have been just the one rep I talked with having a bad day.  It was a $700 book (which again was six or seven years ago) so not a rag).

When I was buying via mail order in the mid 70s, it was a carp-shoot in some cases especially on GA books.  We weren't as refined grading then either.  On the HA book, it is was an easy notice for me and I am not paid to grade books (I know sounds like an Ebay hype phrase).  Other HA  raw books haven't been too far off but my experience has been that they don't undergrade. 

With all that said, still better than the old mail order days although the I admit there was some unpacking charm back then - buying GA books sight unseen and unwrapping to see what treasure was inside.  I got burned by the infamous Dupdork once though.

12 hours ago, William-James88 said:

At least with comiclink, the majority is graded. Here not only is it raw but the main defect giving it its grade is on the back. Sounds more important than in other cases. 

This surprises me and I wonder if that's just a blip or a new norm. The prices for 90% of Fawcetts have not gone up in 15 years.

I think what happened here is people paid above guide and GPA because they thought it was better than a FN since it does look better if only judging the front cover.

I think Adams eBay auctions go 10-20% above norm because he has pretty good books every Sunday...that and he uses color boost on his scanner to make the books look 10-20% better :bigsmile:

16 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Must be fun for the sellers when they then get all those return requests :(

Oh you have no idea. I had a Superman 37 for sale that was missing an interior page. It was returned maybe six times - I finally put MISSING A PAGE in the listing title.

One of the times a buyer negged me on it - I fought that one all the way up and got it removed when I screen shotted the listing showing  I had it in 48 point bold red type in the listing.