• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The History of EC comics massive book is available now at Taschen
2 2

59 posts in this topic

On 9/26/2020 at 3:53 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

Ordered my copy from a reliable UK vendor several days ago, saving quite a bit through current exchange rates.  The source was almost sold out then (only 7 copies left).  The obvious downside to ordering outside the US is longer wait time and international shipping charges, but still saved close to 30% total on the purchase.  I’d check eBay for online vendors with reputable feedback for discounts before paying full price.  Barring discounts I’d suggest giving the business to your LCS.

Thanks for the tip - just did exactly this and found a copy for about 20% below cover price :banana:.  Really looking forward to digging in to this.

For those of you on the fence and  those are you who are interested, there is an incredible video done for the SDCC 2020 called "The wonderful horrible world of EC comics" Grant is the main guest and the program runs under one hour but in terms of "new Stuff" check out those photos of Gaines, Kurtman, Feldstein, etc that are presented, and if in anyway have any doubts about Grants Knowledge of the EC world, give it a listen, I don't care how much you already know, I learned something. It is sort of a preview of the book and the subject, I am sure a member can link this video up....it would be interesting here comments on that video...its great.

Edited by Mmehdy

22 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

For those of you on the fence and  those are you who are interested, there is an incredible video done for the SDCC 2020 called "The wonderful horrible world of EC comics" Grant is the main guest and the program runs under one hour but in terms of "new Stuff" check out those photos of Gaines, Kurtman, Feldstein, etc that are presented, and if in anyway have any doubts about Grants Knowledge of the EC world, give it a listen, I don't care how much you already know, I learned something. It is sort of a preview of the book and the subject, I am sure a member can link this video up....it would be interesting here comments on that video...its great.

Looking forward to this book.  As a longtime fan of EC ...not to mention the achievements of the late Jerry Weist whose Squa Tront set standards in fan publishing and devotion to a publisher... I’m quite enthusiastic about Grant’s new paean to EC.  This will be a welcome addition to the library and perhaps the last word on Bill Gaine’s legacy.  I’ll be checking out that video. (thumbsu

On 9/25/2020 at 12:33 PM, adamstrange said:

I have so many books and articles (literally dozens) about EC that I'm pretty jaded at this point, especially with respect to a $200 13 lb. book!

I'll be interested to hear comments from purchasers.

Take Money.jpg

I believe it should say "Shut Up and Take My Money" haha

Alas...time to scrounge up some coin!

On 9/28/2020 at 11:31 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

Looking forward to this book.  As a longtime fan of EC ...not to mention the achievements of the late Jerry Weist whose Squa Tront set standards in fan publishing and devotion to a publisher... I’m quite enthusiastic about Grant’s new paean to EC.  This will be a welcome addition to the library and perhaps the last word on Bill Gaine’s legacy.  I’ll be checking out that video. (thumbsu

Not only is Grant one of the closet links to the EC staff, but he has actually played guitar in the studio with Klas Voorman and Ringo Star! 

He is very modest about it and his “real job”. He is one of the friendliest and hard working people I know. Always an amazing guy to hang out with. 

ALL of his books are well worth picking up. Scholarly views with a true love of the medium. 

10 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

It’s the box holding the hardback, but the graphics are so nice and I’ve always been a nice box kind of guy. 

When you say box, do you mean slipcase?  I can’t quite tell which it is from the taped up shrink-wrap.  If it was mailed like that in a shrink-wrapped slipcase, that's gross negligence.  :whatthe:

Even if it isn’t a slipcase, it should’ve been shipped in a larger box as the graphics on the outer box are part of the package and overall presentation (my two cents, for whatever that’s worth).

Edited by Cat-Man_America
A few more words of reason.

Came to terms with bookseller so ... here it is.   Unbelievable book!  Can’t wait to start reading. Incidentally as a big Krenkel fan I’ve always felt he drew the Tarzan like figure on the cover (swipe of Weird Fantasy 21).  Think he was working with Williamson at the time. 

818609BF-D741-45B1-B560-4B552FC66563.jpeg

Edited by ThothAmon

30 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

Came to terms with bookseller so ... here it is.   Unbelievable book!  Can’t wait to start reading. Incidentally as a big Krenkel fan I’ve always felt he drew the Tarzan like figure on the cover (swipe of Weird Fantasy 21).  Think he was working with Williamson at the time. 

818609BF-D741-45B1-B560-4B552FC66563.jpeg

Is that the same copy? Love to see some inside spreads.