• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should CGC notate books featured in Seduction of the Innocent on slabs?
1 1

33 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, SOTIcollector said:
3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I refused to send my EC annuals in for grading. I wanted them to note the contents on the label.

These are made up from random unsold issues. In the case of my TOT #1, it has 3 first issues and one second issue. All issues vary but I felt this was a special one (and of course more desirable and worth more). 

They didn’t want to confirm them and told me “it didn’t matter”. I even offered to provide the documentation for them. It would be simple as they are supposed to count the pages anyway. No dice...

It finally took Jim Halprin from Heritage to have them confirm his. Really turned me off and I haven’t had them done. 

I had several Edgar Church copies that I bought directly from Chuck in the late 1970’s turned down because they were later issues without markings. I had confirmation from 3 well respected long time dealers confirm them.

They should put most anything on a label you ask for unless it is “inappropriate” if you provide solid documentation. 

CGC has finally started noting the contents of the EC Annuals (and, presumably, the Fox Giants), but only if the submitter asks.  After seeing lots of postings for them, it seems to me that most sellers of these books don't seem to care what the contents are.  However, as a buyer, I am looking ONLY for specific contents within books, and I frequently send sellers a message asking them about the contents of their books.  Clearly I'm not the only one.  Overstreet  notes that the interior contents determine the value.  So I fail to understand the logic of CGC sealing these comics in a plastic tomb without at least noting what's in them. 

Interesting I didnt know anything abt these thx.

1 hour ago, The Lions Den said:

To be honest, I believe this is another case of important details being passed over because of time constraints.

Many of the EC's were notorious for having little to no information on the labels before the labels were expanded and improved. I can't tell you how many of them had to be significantly updated, and that was just for the art comments. For instance, most of them just had the last names of the artists and writers listed, and even those were lacking. 

I also believe that part of the issue is that many of these classic books come in less frequently than they used to, which gives the graders less of an opportunity to add information to the data fields. Not only that, but the volume of other submissions has increased to the point where graders don't have the luxury to research every book that crosses their desk. 

It really is a shame, because in my mind EC's are the "creme de la creme" of the comic book crop...

agree that EC's are a special case and need a bit of extra attention.

Something as significant as SOTI should be noted. It’s not just a bit of history, but had a profound effect on the development of the comics medium for many years; both censorship in the mainstream and uncontrolled expression by those working in the underground a decade or so later.

I’m also going to join a few other boardies here in expressing my (lifelong) admiration for the absolute brilliance of New Trend EC comics.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Side question-if a book appears in a movie or TV show should it be noted on slab??  Is it more collectible?  Or less?  

22 hours ago, kav said:

Side question-if a book appears in a movie or TV show should it be noted on slab??  Is it more collectible?  Or less?  

Yes. Marvel Tales #151 was pictured and mentioned in the TV show Lost. This caused a run on this issue and a corresponding significant price increase. 

14 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

I didn't know the soti notation wasn't on the labels. The only book I own has it on the label, which made me assume they all had it.

Planet53_Church.jpg

I too thought it was noted as a matter of course. Lately my confidence in CGC graders being arsed to notate anything has considerably diminished. I've noticed 'classic covers' being noted on one label, but not on another of exactly the same book, for example, and this is just one type of example. I don't want to bash them per se, however this kind of non-attention to detail is the thin end of the wedge. Quality counts and if that quality assurance starts to decline...then it's a slippery slope, and you can bet other rivals read this kind of thing.

Beautiful book btw.

1 hour ago, G G ® ™ said:

Enough with this FFS.

Ok here goes-
THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!!!!!

Looks like 105 different books have "Used in SOTI" on the label now. 

Books graded before the note was added won't show it on the label, but it should show up on the CGC Serial Lookup details.

http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/search/title/:Used:SOTI:/label/uni/orderby/alphabetical/variants/yes/