• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For my first grading, is it wise to send in my most valuable comics?

8 posts in this topic

Hi all. I'm a newbie to comic grade certification. I have a large collection assembled between 30 and 50 years ago. I'm thinking of sending approximately 20 books in for grading. Never done this before. So my question is... is it wise or unwise to send in my 20 most valuable comic books in one shot?

Edited by Jimmy33s

On 10/2/2020 at 3:10 PM, Jimmy33s said:

Hi all. I'm a newbie to comic grade certification. I have a large collection assembled between 30 and 50 years ago. I'm thinking of sending approximately 20 books in for grading. Never done this before. So my question is... is it wise or unwise to send in my 20 most valuable comic books in one shot?

The wisest thing is to send books that all have the same value. Look at the section on the site that shows grading costs, you'll notice that the service you get depends on how much you think the book is worth. And sending 20 books of varying worth means many different ordered and they will all be shipped back to you at different times, which you want to avoid unless you don't mind paying shipping multiple times.

47 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

The wisest thing is to send books that all have the same value. Look at the section on the site that shows grading costs, you'll notice that the service you get depends on how much you think the book is worth. And sending 20 books of varying worth means many different ordered and they will all be shipped back to you at different times, which you want to avoid unless you don't mind paying shipping multiple times.

This

If you are worried something may go wrong because you have never done it before, send a couple lower valued books in great shape just to get a hang for the process. Sure, it might cost $75-100 to do this but if that eases your mind and makes you trust and help understand the process better when you submit the more valuable stuff, I think it is worth it. You can also send stuff in through a dealer that you trust (or even fellow boardie if someone offers such services)

1 hour ago, csaag said:

You should also educate yourself on the Press/Clean process.  Don't rush into anything . CGC isn't going anywhere so take your time and make sure you understand all that's involved.

yeah, plus with the whole process is can sometimes take months before getting one's books back so as you say, taking a bit more time to understand won't make too much of a difference.