• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stores like 2nC & HPB

5 posts in this topic

Six or eight years ago, my absolute favorite places to find back issue comic books were stores like "2nd & Charles" or "Half Price Books" because regular people could come in and get cash on the spot for their comics, which was very attractive for non-collectors or people who just wanted out quick. I would stop by more than once a week because they constantly had new stock and fast turnover. -- But recently, my local 2nC & HPB is a barren wasteland. If you don't know, 2nC has a date on their price-sticker that reflects the date they bought the book. I went to 2nC this week and couldn't find more than a handful of books with 2020 stickers. Here are my guesses:

(#1.) When these buy-back stores were new/fresh, people quickly cleaned out their garages. Now there is simply not as many garage collections left to sell back.

(#2.) These stores bought back so much, so fast, that they are now stuck with drek and have a buying freeze until they move more dead inventory. 

(#3.) Because of the caronavirus, these stores had to cut-back staff and expenses. Comics were cut first because of the low ROI. 

(#4.) People have moved online. 

Do you think these type of buy-back stores can bounce back after the pandemic?
Or maybe it's just my local store, and it's all based on the manager & staff? Is yours doing good? 
Thanks! 

4 minutes ago, cmixer said:

Six or eight years ago, my absolute favorite places to find back issue comic books were stores like "2nd & Charles" or "Half Price Books" because regular people could come in and get cash on the spot for their comics, which was very attractive for non-collectors or people who just wanted out quick. I would stop by more than once a week because they constantly had new stock and fast turnover. -- But recently, my local 2nC & HPB is a barren wasteland. If you don't know, 2nC has a date on their price-sticker that reflects the date they bought the book. I went to 2nC this week and couldn't find more than a handful of books with 2020 stickers. Here are my guesses:

(#1.) When these buy-back stores were new/fresh, people quickly cleaned out their garages. Now there is simply not as many garage collections left to sell back.

(#2.) These stores bought back so much, so fast, that they are now stuck with drek and have a buying freeze until they move more dead inventory. 

(#3.) Because of the caronavirus, these stores had to cut-back staff and expenses. Comics were cut first because of the low ROI. 

(#4.) People have moved online. 

Do you think these type of buy-back stores can bounce back after the pandemic?
Or maybe it's just my local store, and it's all based on the manager & staff? Is yours doing good? 

Thanks! 

I haven't been to my local 2nC in awhile. I might stop by after work today/tomorrow and check back in.

It's gonna be hard for anyone/everyone to bounce back from this bologna.

I visited a HPB last week, and it was very slim pickins'. The bins were at about 2/3 capacity, as opposed to usually being stuffed in the past. However, I stopped at a 2nd and Charles about a month ago, and they were packed, and I walked out with a giant stack of stuff. Can't beat that buy 5 get 5 free sale when they've gotten some new stuff in. So, I guess the answer is...maybe, or possibly maybe not? I'm sure it's going to differ location by location. I am curious to see if they'll get more stuff in stock as we approach the holidays, and folks who are hitting hard times due to the current economic situation end up selling off their collections on the cheap. We'll see. Even a year ago, when things were "normal", the pickings at these shops still paled in comparison to the same places 10 years ago, when it truly was a honey hole. The average collector hadn't caught on at that point, at least not around here. These days there's a lot more competition for those gems. I know one guy that I sell to who is hitting up the HPBs nearly every day. I just don't have the time to play that game.

Edited by F For Fake

I speak to the staff at the local 2nC regularly, and have since they opened in 2013. From what I understand it’s a combination of 2 and 4. This store won’t even buy back comics unless they’re Marvel or DC, will not take in indie books of any kind. Unless they come in from a truck as overstock from other stores.

Even still, the store still puts out roughly 2-3 long boxes of comics every few weeks, so they’re clearly getting stuff in, just not nearly at the rate they used to. Another thing is they don’t have enough staff to do everything they claim to specialize in. They rarely get used video games worth anything, ditto for vinyl records, but it is a great resource for movies and trade paperbacks for me.

I don’t find the unbelievable dollar books like I used to, but I almost always walk out with something decent every time I check in, which is usually twice a week.

^ Great input. Thanks, y'all. 

I ultimately wonder what kind of support & advice individual stores get from Corporate.
I think the Fried Pie program (at 2nC) has slowed wayyy down. 
It seems like individual staff with expertise & quality managers make all the difference.