• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showtime's DEXTER limited series (TBD)
1 1

117 posts in this topic

So he's using Jim/James Lindsay as his current alias. Dexter's creator uses Jeff Lindsay as an alias/it's his real name, one of the two. For James I'd like to think it's a reference to Doakes, but going with the formula, it's probably another production person. 

Phillips attended a panel discussion at the virtual Comic-Con@Home, and teased the ending of Dexter: New Blood by saying that it will be one that will have fans talking. With the series finale that was considered almost universally despised and many fans believing that Dexter deserved a more conclusive resolution, many believed that the main reason for the revival would be to use the opportunity to fix what happened in the final episode that aired in 2013. When talking about the ending of the show's upcoming season, Phillips commented:

"The ending of this one will be stunning, shocking, surprising, unexpected, and without jinxing anything, I will say that the ending of this new season that we're doing will blow up the Internet."

:wishluck:

Showtime entertainment president Gary Levine told reporters Tuesday that the network didn’t handle the show’s original finale very well. Dexter concluded in 2013 after eight seasons with a run of episodes that were considered by many fans and critics to be a creative nadir for the show.

“Dexter is a jewel in the crown of Showtime and we didn’t do it justice in the end, and that has always been a burr under my saddle,” said Levine at the Television Critics Association press tour. “We’ve always wanted to see if there was a way to do it right and it took a long time to figure out what that was and a long time for [star Michael C. Hall] to be willing to revisit the role.”

Speaking during a panel at the Television Critics Association (per EW), Hall admitted that the divisive ending of the original series was one of the main reasons for creating this new season. He says the finale "didn't give anyone closure" and that they are hoping to satisfy viewers who didn't agree with the choices made in the end. He wants to pull audiences out of their state of "suspended animation" and finally clear up the ambiguity about Dexter's fate. Read the full quote here:

"I think the way the series proper ended has a great deal to do with why we are revisiting this show. A lot of what was mystifying to people is… what creates the appetite that we hope to satisfy now. The show did not end in a way that was definitive for people and didn't give anyone closure. We didn't hear from Dexter. It left audiences… in a sense of suspended animation. A big part of our motivation is to definitively answer the question of what happened to this guy."

The new dark passenger:

Dexter-season-9-Debra.jpg.82692a3c11ded2a3ace5294288a6b128.jpg

Been a while since I read one of the books or watched the show, but I think the "dark passenger" is the side of him with the urge to kill.  Harry Morgan was who guided the dark passenger towards moral killings, and I guess Deborah will be his new guide.

Deb's confirmation as the new Dark Passenger in the Dexter reboot signals big changes for Dexter's character. The announcement at this summer's TCA panel that Jennifer Carpenter would be returning as a spectral version of Deborah Morgan confirmed a long vaunted theory as she replaces Dexter's old Dark Passenger, Harry (James Remar). Dexter season 9 is set to be a direct continuation of the previous 8 seasons as an attempt to reverse criticism leveled at the series finale.

The Dark Passenger is the name Dexter gives to his urge to kill, which in later seasons fuses with the ideological version of his father that he has in his head. Harry imparted a strict moral code to a young Dexter, teaching him to channel his urges to kill into becoming a force for good in the Miami community.

Deb becoming Dexter's new Dark Passenger will inevitably change Dexter, and not for the better. Having Deborah in the driving seat will allow Dexter greater flexibility to enact his murderous whims, with no code in place to restrain him. The fact that the Dark Passenger Deb is a figment of Dexter's imagination will also make him more dangerous in the season 9 Dexter reboot.

Showtime (via DexterDaily), released new images from Dexter: New Blood, which takes a closer look at episode 2, titled “Storm Of F*@#.” Highlighting a scene that takes place during winter, the images reveal Dexter alone in the woods, as well as Dexter and Harrison standing behind Sergeant Logan (Alano Miller), which seems to indicate a crime has occurred.

dexter-2.png.699b54f60d5ae364e3fedd725f3b4854.png

In a recent interview with Variety, Phillips, who was the showrunner for Dexter's first four seasons, revealed his thoughts on where it all went wrong for the original series. He mentioned that the series "lost its way" in the last few seasons, and expressed that it wasn't looking "far enough into the future." Phillips also thought that the show had discarded the qualities that made the protagonist so compelling, which alienated him from the audience. Read Phillips' comments below:

“I think the show in the last couple of years of its original incarnation lost its way. It was only seeing as far into the future as the headlights on a car and had broken the covenant with the audience about everything that Dexter does has to be code-worthy.”

DEXTER: NEW BLOOD FIRST REVIEWS: MICHAEL C. HALL'S RETURN TO KILLER ROLE IS 'RIVETING,' CRITICS SAY

Aside from the frostbitten location, complete with crunching snow and icy breath, also comes the ditching of the famed opening credits, the Dexter narration, and a few other hallmarks of the original run. That’s not to say these things can’t return (and be meaningful when they do) but New Blood is out to deliver a mix of old and fresh, and it lands really well here at the start.
– Matt Fowler, IGN

The episodes sent to critics are full of dark — borderline campy — humor and some truly compelling human drama. The vibe of Iron Lake is Twin Peaks–light. The needle drops are cheeky. The tone of the mystery closer to Hulu’s recent hit Only Murders in the Building than, say, Mare of Easttown. (There’s even a murder-mystery podcaster element!) Most importantly, Dexter: New Blood tackles Dexter’s own unfinished business.

-  Meghan O’Keefe, Decider

The revival wrestles with some of the same problems that plagued the original, from a penchant for toothless “will Dexter get caught?” fakeouts, to lazy logistical cheats (go ahead and stroll right into that crime scene, Dexter, even though you now work in retail). There’s a decided and familiar lack of subtlety, too. The opening sequence is set to Iggy Pop’s “The Passenger,” an on-the-nose reference to Dexter’s so-called “dark passenger,” and the writing has its share of groaners.

– Kristen Baldwin, EW

Based on four episodes, it can be said that Dexter: New Blood is neither as bad as seasons six through eight nor as good as seasons one through four. It’s a story about a man trying to move on and find a place in a new world, frustratingly told within a show that seems determined to pretend that nothing in the television landscape has changed at all.

- Dan Fienberg, Hollywood Reporter

What makes “Dexter: New Blood” intriguing — aside from Hall, who somehow manages to work his face into an expression that is just short of a smirk that is exactly what this character needs — is Dexter’s knowledge of his past and his attempt to distance himself from it, spiked with the knowledge that the world is full of bad people who might fit Dexter’s bill.

-  Bill Goodykoontz, AZ Central

:wishluck:

Edited by Bosco685

On 11/5/2021 at 5:45 AM, sd2416 said:

hopefully everything after Season 4 is a depression dream/shower after Rita died.  It went down hill fast after that. 

This would be ideal. Literally too good to be true, I'm afraid, considering we know it picks up from S8 with the lumberjack history and all that. 

Damn shame. 

In an interview with EW, Phillips shared how he would have ended Dexter in anticipation of the premiere. Phillips shares fans' frustration with the final episode and states the main reason for the revival would be to use the opportunity to fix the events that happened leading up to the moment as the stories became harder to digest. Phillips' original idea to end Dexter can be viewed below:

"My personal ending for the show was that he was going to be executed for his crimes. He's lying on the table and outside the window are all the people he's killed. That was just in my own head. I never pitched that to anybody."

Dexter: New Blood Premiere Review - "Cold Snap"

Original Dexter showrunner Clyde Phillips, who oversaw the series' first four seasons (aka the best o' Dexter), returns to the fold to transport us back to what we loved about the show in the first place -- albeit, with some new tinkering to the format, as this Dexter Morgan is a changed man. Or, at least, like an addict, he's battling his urges every day and sticking to a routine in order to live a small, anonymous, murder-free life with "Bay Harbor Butcher" Miami very much in his rear view. It's 10 years later (within the show) and Dexter's done what he promised. He's removed himself from everything and everyone, though it's not as drastic as the solitary lumberjack existence we recall from the last aired episode.

Verdict
Dexter returns, reborn with a few tweaks and fidgets to the formula, but not so as to mask the malicious fun of the hallmarks from the old show that return anew under original showrunner Clyde Phillips. Michael C. Hall slips effortlessly back into his old sociopath role as time away, and change of scenery, has done wonders to revitalize this once-omnipresent pop culture icon. "Cold Snap" is a great and grisly opener for New Blood, setting the stage and delivering a Dexter Morgan doing his damndest to remain chaste on the murder front. Whether or not, contextually, this is all just a shot at a do-over feels irrelevant because New Blood's mix of old and new holds a ton of promise.

I predict Dexter was broken after season four and it is revealed that seasons 5 through 8 are his fantasies while he is in psychiatric hospital. He did not get caught, but seeing Rita dead and his son soaked in blood had him break from reality.

I enjoyed the new season premier.  A little predictable as to how the episode was going to play out (at least to me).  What I didn't expect was Harrison.  That will be interesting to see ow that develops.  

Edited by chrisco37

Nice to see him back and it all looks promising. New cast, new setting, new soundtrack (mostly) but I can see where it could go and hope they can recreate something as affecting as the first four seasons which, to me, were some of the best telly I have ever seen. Killing potty mouth was a disaster for me, but at least we get to see her again in her new, albeit imagined, advisory role.