• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why hasnt this book found a home yet?

37 posts in this topic

is it the cream pages?

the price?

the market?

the pressing-induced buying malaise?

the economy??

Its not my book... I'm just curious. I havent seen another 9.4 on sale in (I think) 2 years or so...

lonely puppy needs a good home...

guess I should have made a poll. Anybosy know how?? insane.gifdevil.gif

Is there an "All of the Above" option? confused-smiley-013.gif

Seriously, at that price point, you only have a few active players in the market, and with 7 copies at 9.4 or better, I'd say there are more $30k copies than collectors with $30K to blow.

Price is way too high in my opinion. And I do believe the Cream to Off-White pages make a huge difference. If someone is willing to spend $15-20K on a book (IMO what I think it's worth), they would rather spend a few grand more and get at least Off-White pages, so when it comes time to sell there are no Negatives (i.e. lesser page quality).

I think the asking price, page quality, and lack of desirability compared to other Marvel SA titles are all factors. And as others have mentioned, there are relatively few players in the market with that much $$$ to spend on one book.

I agree with you all... But I would have thought even given all that, 9.4s arent that common and there would be some interest. For me th ecream pages is a big problem. Im sure in my hands, raw, its not that noticeable, but right there on the slab? Cuts potential buyers way down.

is it the cream pages?

the price?

the market?

the pressing-induced buying malaise?

the economy??

Its not my book... I'm just curious. I havent seen another 9.4 on sale in (I think) 2 years or so...

lonely puppy needs a good home...

guess I should have made a poll. Anybosy know how?? insane.gifdevil.gif

It has to be the bleed-through on the front cover caused by the microchamber paper. Can't think of any OTHER reason. crazy.gif

So just how much would it cost to bleach the cream pages into white pages?

Probably around $300, but getting the pages to white without ruining the ink would be a challenge.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Probably around $300, but getting the pages to white without ruining the ink would be a challenge.

I'm assuming that CGC would be able to detect that, correct?

I'm assuming that CGC would be able to detect that, correct?

Yes, they should.

They may be able to be "bleached" lighter but the pages themselves are certainly not going to benefit or strengthen from the process, even if the pages are deacidified.

This is something I've wondered about. Can pages be "improved upon" without disassembling the book,and how would CGC treat such a book,assuming they caught it?

To my knowledge, pages canot truly be "improved upon" in the context I believe you mean: increasing the inherent strength and stability of a page. Deacidification can help stabilize the PH and slow the TTB (Time To Brittle) but actually strengthening the paper? There is no method I know that would accomplish this.

And artificially whitening the pages is MUCH worse than pressing. It can actually further damage the fibers and hasten TTB.