• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern Thor
3 3

18 posts in this topic

I like the Cates run so far. I dont really read or collect marvel but I heard a review about it and hunted them down. 

I also did the same with Wolverine. I like that story more than Thor. But Thor is cool.

On 10/31/2020 at 7:51 AM, Summydad1 said:

I think the current run of Thor is setting the groundwork for years in the MCU. Cates is obviously Marvel’s go to guy. I think Knull is here to stay. I think Galactus is going to be the new “big bad.” I think Gorr from the god of thunder series is to cool to pass on. Black winter is getting ret-conned all the way back to Thor 169. That coincidentally is the origin story of Galactus. It all ties into Venomverse, which is hugely popular. I think one of the reasons, ASM 300 has exploded could be the popularity of the new Venom series and symbiote madness. I understand that some people dislike moderns and think their values/stories won’t hold up. Remember all comics were modern at some point. That being said, here is a shot of my modern Thor books I like. 

65C1F11F-284C-42F8-92D6-174D80C6440F.jpeg

39B7DD05-9BDE-4CD3-8438-BB265345F0D7.jpeg

Awesomeness. Thor is the main character I collect. Some of the variants are pretty dope but I wish they would slow down on them, going have me go broke 😂. The Jason Aaron God of Thunder run was by far my favorite. After Walt Simonson’s run on vol 1, I didn’t think anyone could match it but Aaron’s storytelling is straight 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

Really been enjoying the Thor series by Cates, I'm not a massive fan of Thor but read the first issue and was hooked from the start, I was able to get the whole run for cover price or less save the 1:25 for #4 and #5 which where $10 each if I remember correctly, so I'm just happy I didn't throw money into the series like a lot of people did. I had some multiples of #5 which I sold and more than covered my cost of buying the series so far.

WHOX4K5.jpg

HHABJRA.jpg

PPNlc0F.jpg

vnRBnmi.jpg

1 hour ago, IbukiLord said:

Really been enjoying the Thor series by Cates, I'm not a massive fan of Thor but read the first issue and was hooked from the start, I was able to get the whole run for cover price or less save the 1:25 for #4 and #5 which where $10 each if I remember correctly, so I'm just happy I didn't throw money into the series like a lot of people did. I had some multiples of #5 which I sold and more than covered my cost of buying the series so far.

WHOX4K5.jpg

HHABJRA.jpg

PPNlc0F.jpg

vnRBnmi.jpg

Beautiful covers!

2 hours ago, RayJr said:

Awesomeness. Thor is the main character I collect. Some of the variants are pretty dope but I wish they would slow down on them, going have me go broke 😂. The Jason Aaron God of Thunder run was by far my favorite. After Walt Simonson’s run on vol 1, I didn’t think anyone could match it but Aaron’s storytelling is straight 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

I agree 100%. I do not read very many comics but I was told a while back that the god of thunder run was great. I read through the TPB’s and loved it. Logically, after that I went hunting for all the keys, variants, and cool covers in Aaron’s run. Esad Ribic’s style is perfect for Thor too. Based off god of thunder I started with new Thor right form the beginning. Good stuff. Pair this run with Cates’ Venom and you have excellent material for many MCU movies. 

I think I'm stalled at 12 ... but I'm liking all the Thor books from the last decade or two. The one below is one of my favorite Thor covers ever... an excellant foil treatment. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

119_4965.JPG

I would be curious to hear people's opinion on this series. 

This is the only modern book I buy, and I really enjoyed the first 20 issues or so but lately this book has been awful.  That back up Black Panther story in issue 31 might have been one of the worst stories I have ever read and issue 32 was a confusing mess. 

This is the only new comic I buy so maybe I am missing a bigger picture that is playing out in other books but for me, if this series doesn't get any better in the next few issues I might drop this book. 

What are other's thoughts on this series?  Should I give up on this book or keep buying hoping it will get better?

On 4/15/2023 at 4:00 PM, DWL said:

I would be curious to hear people's opinion on this series. 

This is the only modern book I buy, and I really enjoyed the first 20 issues or so but lately this book has been awful.  That back up Black Panther story in issue 31 might have been one of the worst stories I have ever read and issue 32 was a confusing mess. 

This is the only new comic I buy so maybe I am missing a bigger picture that is playing out in other books but for me, if this series doesn't get any better in the next few issues I might drop this book. 

What are other's thoughts on this series?  Should I give up on this book or keep buying hoping it will get better?

I’m not just saying this because I’m a Thor collector but I would give up on it. I almost gave up when vol 2 came out in 98 but continued to stick it through and glad I did. Some story arcs lag or seem to make no sense but then bam, a story arc gets good (depending on the writer) that keeps you coming back for more 

On 4/16/2023 at 8:10 AM, RayJr said:

I’m not just saying this because I’m a Thor collector but I would give up on it. I almost gave up when vol 2 came out in 98 but continued to stick it through and glad I did. Some story arcs lag or seem to make no sense but then bam, a story arc gets good (depending on the writer) that keeps you coming back for more 

The 98 run was great. The Dark Gods saga, the Enchanters Three, the war against Thanos and then the Reigning.

On 4/16/2023 at 7:00 AM, DWL said:

Should I give up on this book or keep buying hoping it will get better?

It does. An upcoming limited edition issue (25 copies) will feature a revamped Journey Into Mystery foe from the 60s, and sport a metal cover displaying Mjolnir. Only those readers deemed worthy will be able to turn the pages.