• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1st Checkmate!

18 posts in this topic

I've noticed that JLA 166-168 were doing well on eBay lately due to Infinite Crisis. Thought I'd give everyone a heads up on the 1st Checkmate! app. Do you think there will be a surge of interest? Kind of interesting how current storylines equal big demands in the back issue market. Not anything new, but interesting...

Action598.jpg

I've noticed that JLA 166-168 were doing well on eBay lately due to Infinite Crisis. Thought I'd give everyone a heads up on the 1st Checkmate! app. Do you think there will be a surge of interest? Kind of interesting how current storylines equal big demands in the back issue market. Not anything new, but interesting...

Action598.jpg

If a book that looks like that starts to hit double digits, I'm quiting the hobby. 27_laughing.gif

Huh. Interesting to know. My guess is someone will make a market for it, or at least try. Might see an eBay auction that reads "Action Comics 598 Infinite Crisis OMAC WW 1st CHECKMATE L@@K", with a description about how this comic is so super-rare in high grade, and is guaranteed to skyrocket in price once Infinite Crisis hits shelves. yeahok.gif

**edit**

just looked at eBay, seems people already are trying:

ACTION COMICS # 598 NM 1st app CHECKMATE Crisis OMAC

Action Comics 598 1st Checkmate! Infinite Crisis! Hot!!

Action Comics #598 1st CHECKMATE Infinite Crisis OMAC

I was pretty damn close on the title name. grin.gif

**edit**

I don't know about rare(though that seems to be the theme on most auctions these days), but I'm sure people will be buying. Personally, I keep all my DC's...unless crazy prices start being realized. Anyone can always get 2 or three more of most 80's books once the heat cools off IMHO.

Max Lord had no connection to Checkmate until DC Countdown to Infinite Crisis #1 revealed him as that organization's "Black King". Recent conversations with the Countdown writers indicated that Max Lord was not their first choice to be the mastermind behind the OMACs. They almost went with Mr. Jupiter, the fellow who was funding the 90's version of the Teen Titans (the Jurgens team) but felt he wasn't "big" enough to fit the role of instigator for the Crisis.

Lord's first appearance is Justice League #1.

The Checkmate organization first appeared in that issue of Action that started this thread.

Maxwell Lord was the benefactor that arranged for the JL to be funded by the United Nations ("Justice League International"). The Blue Beetle, Ted Kord, was a member of the Justice League during that time and the two men became, at least on camera, friends. Kord Industries went bankrupt during those years.

In recent times, Kord had begun rebuilding his company (as seen in Birds of Prey), but Kord was enticed back to join Maxwell Lord's "SuperBuddies" team of heroes for hire (Formerly Known as the Justice League/I Can't Belive It's Not the Justice League). It is quite possible that Lord lent Kord (or at least arranged for some) investment capital to fund Kord's second attempt at being a captain of industry. As a friend he would have access to Kord's office and might have even been allowed enough security clearance that he would have been able to infiltrate the new company's systems.

They almost went with Mr. Jupiter, the fellow who was funding the 90's version of the Teen Titans (the Jurgens team) but felt he wasn't "big" enough to fit the role of instigator for the Crisis.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif That's interesting...I didn't realize Mr. Jupiter had been brought back that recently (I didn't read the Jurgens TT). I knew him from the original Silver/Bronze Age run, beginning with TT #25. He was introduced at the same time as Lilith, and an issue before Mal.

Maxwell Lord was the benefactor that arranged for the JL to be funded by the United Nations ("Justice League International"). The Blue Beetle, Ted Kord, was a member of the Justice League during that time and the two men became, at least on camera, friends. Kord Industries went bankrupt during those years.

In recent times, Kord had begun rebuilding his company (as seen in Birds of Prey), but Kord was enticed back to join Maxwell Lord's "SuperBuddies" team of heroes for hire (Formerly Known as the Justice League/I Can't Belive It's Not the Justice League). It is quite possible that Lord lent Kord (or at least arranged for some) investment capital to fund Kord's second attempt at being a captain of industry. As a friend he would have access to Kord's office and might have even been allowed enough security clearance that he would have been able to infiltrate the new company's systems.

Read the first arc of JLA Classified for more.

i've always liked Checkmate...having Lord end up as an evil mastermind in charge of checkmate was kinda silly to my mind...he was always so pathetic in the JL title...well...until i stopped reading it...

i'm hoping that the Checkmate title will be revived after IC and 52 get wrapped up.