• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM 100 cover for sale

70 posts in this topic

Sold it a few years back. Made some good money too.

KK

Interesting how you had it a few years back and yet didn't know whether it was all stats or not. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Hey Sherlock....It was a joke. Since everybody is so interested in my art collection. I never owned the ASM 100 cover. It has been locked in my friends collection for many years. Although the DD 181 is a different story.

KK

I don't think this cover will even sell... the last line of his email makes it sound like he can cancel the sale if the price isn't up to snuff, and given the terms I think the high bid will be on the low end.

I don't think "auctioning" off this piece in the manner in which it is being sold is in any way a good thing. Martkets thrive on record sales and record sales are achieved by 'normal' means of selling the product. To sell this cover, in what amounts to a fire sale, downgrades the current market potential of all other Romita covers. Think about it. If this cover sells through Heritage for 100K - then that's a record sale and that makes the other Romita covers appear more valuable Because now you have an 'upper limit' in which potential buyers/sellers can value another cover thinking, "well, if the #100 sold for 100K, then #x is worth at least y" with y being a strong value. However, if #100 sells for 50K in this "auction" then that downgrades the potential 'upper limit' because potential buyers/sellers can value another cover thinking, "well, if the #100 only sold for 50K, then #x would only be worth y" with y being a weak value. This is not a crummy cover. We are talking about one of the most recognizeable covers in not just our hobby but in americana as well. The image of Spidey on the cover is unquestionably an iconic image and the significance of it being issue 100 is very important as well. I hope, for the hobby, that it doesn't sell in this manner. I think we would all be better off. I don't think I'm alone in wanting this cover to be sold at a true auction in order to recognize the "true" value.

I don't think "auctioning" off this piece in the manner in which it is being sold is in any way a good thing. Martkets thrive on record sales and record sales are achieved by 'normal' means of selling the product. To sell this cover, in what amounts to a fire sale, downgrades the current market potential of all other Romita covers. Think about it. If this cover sells through Heritage for 100K - then that's a record sale and that makes the other Romita covers appear more valuable Because now you have an 'upper limit' in which potential buyers/sellers can value another cover thinking, "well, if the #100 sold for 100K, then #x is worth at least y" with y being a strong value. However, if #100 sells for 50K in this "auction" then that downgrades the potential 'upper limit' because potential buyers/sellers can value another cover thinking, "well, if the #100 only sold for 50K, then #x would only be worth y" with y being a weak value. This is not a crummy cover. We are talking about one of the most recognizeable covers in not just our hobby but in americana as well. The image of Spidey on the cover is unquestionably an iconic image and the significance of it being issue 100 is very important as well. I hope, for the hobby, that it doesn't sell in this manner. I think we would all be better off. I don't think I'm alone in wanting this cover to be sold at a true auction in order to recognize the "true" value.

Dem,

I agree with you 1000% percent.

That said,..I might take a stab at the piece,..and if I get it on the semi-cheap,..I might then take advantage of the arbitrage and run the sale through Heritage.

In the end, the benefits out-weigh the detriments...High Quality OA moving out of weak hands into stronger hands will in the long-run result in higher record prices. Once this ASM #100 sells,..thats one less ASM Cover about to hit market,...the supply decreases....AND PRICES WILL GO UP ON ASM COVERS,....cherry flavour PEZ,..no doubt about it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

KK

KK

Interesting how you had it a few years back and yet didn't know whether it was all stats or not. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I was just thinking the exact same thing! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

That said,..I might take a stab at the piece,..and if I get it on the semi-cheap,..I might then take advantage of the arbitrage and run the sale through Heritage.

hey, why not? think of all that money you have left from your non bids in the last Heritage auction you said you were going to put in and didn't. should have about 200k sitting around for you to play with

On a related note -- I've always been irked that Spencer doesn't take Credit Cards or Paypal for any of his sales. (on the work he sells for the artists he represents) I've copy/pasted his stated reason below. My problem with this is that he's just about the only dealer to go with this policy, and additionally, any true art gallery just about anywhere accepts credit cards. (for the work of the artists they represent) If it's not a problem for them, why a problem for him???

From Spencer's site:

>>Why do you not accept Credit Cards/Paypal?

Possibly my most frequently asked question, and the answer is that the Credit Card companies do not have a method (nor do most of their customers want one) to waive the Buyer Protection Policy for Fine Arts or 1 of a Kind Items. While the purpose of this Policy on Credit Cards is to guarantee a replacement for a faulty item, no such replacement exists on Comic Book Original Artwork, so as a term of accepting Credit Cards, the business owner agrees to provide a full refund at any time, up to 1 year from Date of Purchase on some types of cards, if they cannot provide an exact replacement. Due to this restriction, for me to accept Credit Cards I would have to withhold payment from the artist until the buyer protection policy time limit has passed, which is not fair to the artist. I refuse to do this to the Artists I represent, so until Credit Card Companies create a Legally Upheld Waiver that may be used by their customers, I cannot accept Credit Cards. Paypal's user Protection Policy works in the same manner. This is especially true of International Orders, where US laws do not apply and there is no cost-effective mechanism in place to prosecute Credit Card Fraud Charges Internationally.<<

KK

If it were going through Heritage I would say you were right on the money. But with no time payments or trade, the final price might suffer.

Plus he's put out the bait for other items (Kirby, Ditko, etc...) so potential bidders may hold off on this one in anticipation of what's to come. Seems like there'd be a better way of going about selling this kind of material. confused.gif

KK

If it were going through Heritage I would say you were right on the money. But with no time payments or trade, the final price might suffer.

Plus he's put out the bait for other items (Kirby, Ditko, etc...) so potential bidders may hold off on this one in anticipation of what's to come. Seems like there'd be a better way of going about selling this kind of material. confused.gif

Agreed P Diddy,

I dont want to 'shoot my wad',...and be left holding myself when the ASM # 29 Cover comes out next ? ? ?

That said,..the # 100 sure is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KK

KK

Heritage should buy this cover and give it a proper auction. Don't be suprised if that happens! The way it is being sold amounts to a fire sale! DF

Spencer is simply a bonehead! Christo_pull_hair.gif

On a related note -- I've always been irked that Spencer doesn't take Credit Cards or Paypal for any of his sales. (on the work he sells for the artists he represents) I've copy/pasted his stated reason below. My problem with this is that he's just about the only dealer to go with this policy, and additionally, any true art gallery just about anywhere accepts credit cards. (for the work of the artists they represent) If it's not a problem for them, why a problem for him???

From Spencer's site:

Possibly my most frequently asked question, and the answer is that the Credit Card companies do not have a method (nor do most of their customers want one) to waive the Buyer Protection Policy for Fine Arts or 1 of a Kind Items. While the purpose of this Policy on Credit Cards is to guarantee a replacement for a faulty item, no such replacement exists on Comic Book Original Artwork, so as a term of accepting Credit Cards, the business owner agrees to provide a full refund at any time, up to 1 year from Date of Purchase on some types of cards, if they cannot provide an exact replacement. Due to this restriction, for me to accept Credit Cards I would have to withhold payment from the artist until the buyer protection policy time limit has passed, which is not fair to the artist. I refuse to do this to the Artists I represent, so until Credit Card Companies create a Legally Upheld Waiver that may be used by their customers, I cannot accept Credit Cards. Paypal's user Protection Policy works in the same manner. This is especially true of International Orders, where US laws do not apply and there is no cost-effective mechanism in place to prosecute Credit Card Fraud Charges Internationally.<<

But we may never know the final price. Mr. Beck sold a couple of Ditko ASM covers a couple years back and we can only guess at what those sold for. He didn't even offer them publicly and attempt to acheive the highest market price for his client. I would say that Mr. Beck does not do a really good job of representing his client(s). His only excuse may be that his client(s) are afraid of their "ownership" of "stolen" art might be challenged. I for one think the argument that Marvel or the artists have any claim to the "stolen" art is a bunch of hogwash.

KK

Hey Sherlock....It was a joke. Since everybody is so interested in my art collection. I never owned the ASM 100 cover. It has been locked in my friends collection for many years. Although the DD 181 is a different story.

KK

So your friend has had it for many years, but you still didn't know if it was all stats? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

KK

KK

So your friend has had it for many years, but you still didn't know if it was all stats? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You really think he has a friend?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

1321_large.jpg

From Spencer's site:

Translation: I don't want to pay the merchant's fees for credit card transactions, and the credit card companies won't let me pass on the fee to purchasers.

I do admire the novelty of this argument, though. There are probably some comic dealers who should start using this.