• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain Britain 8

4 posts in this topic

Hi Guys

I have been given a large Marvel collection mainly 70s. All like new really most look unread. I have been told captain Britain number 8 is worth something? I have joined this site today so very new, never read a comic except for beano as a kid, I’m also scared if one of my comics is worth anything because of my lack of knowledge I will get ripped off!! 
thanks in advance 

aaron AB607D2F-FA5E-4DFD-9D71-DCCD86CC494D.thumb.jpeg.9be368b8c9050e35d5c14ce946ff0746.jpeg

"Worth" is relative to anyone and everyone.  $5, $10, $100? But at the same time how much is your time worth for you to become an expert on grading and pricing and selling comics to maximize your profit.  This issue may be worth something, but you may have 200 (or 2000) more that are worth nothing, and you may not know that they are worth nothing until you look up the prices for each one (or possibly pay someone to appraise for you).

For example, you might have 500 comics, and someone offers you $200 for the lot.  You think they're pretty old, in pretty good condition.  But it might take you 3 hours to find the pricing on these comics, and even then the pricing depends heavily on the grade, which you are inexperienced with.  So three hours later, you determine the fair market value (based on your personal inexperienced criteria) to be $500 (and this is a pretty positive outcome in your favor).  SO that's how much you want.  But how much MORE time would it take to sell all these comics individually (that usually maximizes revenues), but then you have to take pictures, make advertisements or listings, explain the grade, find the right selling venue, worry about selling fees (and possibly taxes), ship comics out, deal with returns, etc.  Is that worth $300 to you? maybe, maybe not.

Also, consider your buyer.  Why does he randomly want your specific 500 comics.  Are those he just wants to add to his collection, all of them?  More likely he'll have more experience in pricing, grading, and selling comics and has come up with a profit margin he's looking for.  Why would he offer $500?  Now does that mean he's not trying to take advantage of you?  NO, he might be.  Do you maybe have a $10K comic in there?  Or do you have a $10K comic in there that would be $10K but condition is trach so its worth $300?  But how much is worth it for you to find out?  How much time are you willing to invest?

As an aside, the vast majority of comics, even comics from the 70's (which seems old but in comic terms....), are not worth a ton, even in pretty nice condition.  However there are some that are worth a bunch.

If ask a more specific question based on your potential thought processes and priorities and the specifics of your comic collection, you will probably get a better answer.

But until then, there are numerous priceguides available for free or purchase with a quick search of the internet. BUT a good starting place is SOLD prices on Ebay listings.  Make sure you match the condition as best you can, and note that a GRADED or SLABBED comic is not the same as an ungraded/unslabbed comic.

19 hours ago, Instant123 said:

I’m also scared if one of my comics is worth anything because of my lack of knowledge I will get ripped off!! 

Hello Aaron and welcome.

Revat has given you good advice here to build upon. If you check eBay sold listings as he suggested you'll get a good idea of what your comic has sold for and why:

Capture.thumb.PNG.c2b98ebce889d0037508a3f7d5a63535.PNG

Captain Britain 8 has a first appearance of a popular character as you will see, and you can also see the prices ranging from £59 all the way up to £271 for the graded copy. Your copy looks to be a high grade copy, so it will likely be at the higher end of the prices shown if there are no hidden surprises (missing coupons, internal writing, things like that). Not to be sniffed at, and a nice book to own. Or sell, if that is what you intend. 

Good luck.