• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pokemon Booster Box Grading?

41 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

One item is a final product. The other is a form of packaging.

I suppose, but some companies grade booster packs because people enjoy collecting sealed packs. Seems to me like the whole box is just the next logical step.

1 minute ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

FTFY.

I don't know friend, if there's a market for it, I don't see why it shouldn't be considered.

To answer OP's question, I cannot think of a company that certifies and encapsulated the entire package, but I would not be surprised to find that such a thing exists.

Just now, WillsTCG said:

I don't know friend, if there's a market for it, I don't see why it shouldn't be considered.

To answer OP's question, I cannot think of a company that certifies and encapsulated the entire package, but I would not be surprised to find that such a thing exists.

There's a "market" for all sorts of stupid things. Like "graded" sealed video games. lol

The greed of humanity has no bounds.

Just now, theCapraAegagrus said:

There's a "market" for all sorts of stupid things. Like "graded" sealed video games. lol

The greed of humanity has no bounds.

If people enjoy collecting those things, I see no reason why they shouldn't be permitted to do so.

37 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Sure, but that doesn't mean that there's any logic in grading a product's packaging.

Authentication and preservation.  The reason the value of cards go up when they are graded is because the cards can be counted on to be both authentic and consistent in condition.  There is a very, very large market for sealed Pokemon products.  I'm not sure grading sealed boxes is something CGC wants to be in, but there certainly would be a market for sealed booster box grading.  Go check eBay to see how frequently vintage booster boxes move, and for what price.  Follow the market values on Facebook groups and reddit swapping channels.  There are people who build collections solely on sealed material.  This has always been a thing.

4 minutes ago, Ron Churches said:

Authentication and preservation.  The reason the value of cards go up when they are graded is because the cards can be counted on to be both authentic and consistent in condition.  There is a very, very large market for sealed Pokemon products.  I'm not sure grading sealed boxes is something CGC wants to be in, but there certainly would be a market for sealed booster box grading.  Go check eBay to see how frequently vintage booster boxes move, and for what price.  Follow the market values on Facebook groups and reddit swapping channels.  There are people who build collections solely on sealed material.  This has always been a thing.

You don't need something to be "graded" to determine its authenticity.

All of the following sentiments circle back to the fact that humanity's greed knows no bounds.

4 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

You don't need something to be "graded" to determine its authenticity.

All of the following sentiments circle back to the fact that humanity's greed knows no bounds.

I think there are a few things in the greed pecking order that you could nitpick around before considering sealed product hobby collectible grading as the new bound exception.  

Just now, Ron Churches said:

I think there are a few things in the greed pecking order that you could nitpick around before considering sealed product hobby collectible grading as the new bound exception.  

Considering how dumb graded sealed video games is, it's not particularly "new". It's simply a whole new level of dumb.

A sealed package is ultimately useless, other than for the fruits of greed. A sealed video game is useless, for the same reasons. A card can be used and/or its artwork appreciated. A video game can be used. A comic book can be read. These products were designed for a reason. The only reason that a package is designed is to fuel a goods production transaction.

I'll catch you before you try to catch me; Grading most comic books is also dumb. 2c

1 minute ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Considering how dumb graded sealed video games is, it's not particularly "new". It's simply a whole new level of dumb.

A sealed package is ultimately useless, other than for the fruits of greed. A sealed video game is useless, for the same reasons. A card can be used and/or its artwork appreciated. A video game can be used. A comic book can be read. These products were designed for a reason. The only reason that a package is designed is to fuel a goods production transaction.

I'll catch you before you try to catch me; Grading most comic books is also dumb. 2c

Subjectivity certainly makes life more interesting. There are countless examples of utilities turning into treasures across human evolution. I'm sure there was a cave man telling the guy scratching the buffalo on the wall that he'd spend his time more wisely just eating his food.  I don't know what to tell you; let people enjoy things the way they want.

7 minutes ago, Ron Churches said:

Subjectivity certainly makes life more interesting. There are countless examples of utilities turning into treasures across human evolution. I'm sure there was a cave man telling the guy scratching the buffalo on the wall that he'd spend his time more wisely just eating his food.  I don't know what to tell you; let people enjoy things the way they want.

To a certain extent, yes. It needs to be dialed back when it becomes ridiculous. "Moderation" being the key theme. There's nothing "moderate" about psychos wanting to "grade" a sealed package, that contains more packages, that then contain the actual products.

Wanna collect sealed packages? Go ahead. I'll turn the other cheek. Wanna "grade" them? GTFO.

4 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

To a certain extent, yes. It needs to be dialed back when it becomes ridiculous. "Moderation" being the key theme. There's nothing "moderate" about psychos wanting to "grade" a sealed package, that contains more packages, that then contain the actual products.

Wanna collect sealed packages? Go ahead. I'll turn the other cheek. Wanna "grade" them? GTFO.

I know some of the original sealed Pokemon booster boxes have sold in excess of over $100,000 recently so it's not that crazy imo. "Grading" might be a bit tough for a booster box (especially an old one), but I could see it happening. I think what would be better (especially for older booster boxes) is for them to at least be authenticated. At least in the Pokemon community, it's not unheard of for there to be counterfeit booster boxes, especially for the older more valuable ones. It sucks but it does happen. 

2 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Idk, it's not my cup of tea, either, but it does help give the market credibility.  We're seeing more fraud in Pokemon related stuff, and that's not good for individual cards or boxes alike.  The repacked 1st edition base box that that bald headed insufficiently_thoughtful_person tried to flip to the investor for nearly 400k is a pretty significant example of something that undercuts the market confidence.  Like it or not, these pieces of cardboard are a commodity to some, and that impacts everyone.  Ripple effects of fraud cause issues all the way down to PWE trades, as folks look for ways to game PayPal's policies and stuff like that.  The grading services help buttress that up; it's why there's value in encapsulating the art.  You might not see a closed, sealed box as art, but there are people who do.  I'd think even if you're a no-greed personal collector only, you benefit from things like authentication much more than you might realize.  I personally flip some cards for profit so I can buy the cards that I like, which I will hold and collect until I don't like them as much as they are worth (i.e, I hope they rise in value so that my personal utility flips and I make a profit, but I will enjoy them for the time being).  

2 minutes ago, FearlessPC said:

I know some of the original sealed Pokemon booster boxes have sold in excess of over $100,000 recently so it's not that crazy imo. "Grading" might be a bit tough for a booster box (especially an old one), but I could see it happening. I think what would be better (especially for older booster boxes) is for them to at least be authenticated. At least in the Pokemon community, it's not unheard of for there to be counterfeit booster boxes, especially for the older more valuable ones. It sucks but it does happen. 

Authenticating them seems normal to me. "Grading" them is what makes literally no sense.