• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is CGC Going to Universal Labels for Restored Books?

128 posts in this topic

Here's the details that I recall from this past weekend (yes, I've seen the new labels):

There will only be 2 label colors: Blue and Yellow (signature).

The labels will be identified either: UNIVERSAL, QUALIFIED, and APPARENT. This will be across the top of the label where they normally are.

The Universal Book will remain the same as always. Same grade scale, same look.

The Qualified Books will be the same as when they were in Green slabs. Just different color.

The new Blue APPARENT Grade will be as follows:

The Grade will appear as always. This will be the standard apparent Grade we have been used to. Underneath that there will be a new Resto/Conservation Grade.

It will not be as large as the regular grade (really the only problem I have with the new label).

As Scott noted, 10 will be the best (least amount) and 1 the worst (most amount) to keep things uniform. There will not be the .2, .5 gradations (ie. you will not see a 9.2, 8.5 etc... "resto grade"). Instead there will be 3 subsets: e, a , p (I may have it slightly mixed up as I didn't take notes).

Grades will be somthing like this:

Overall Grade: 9.2

Resto/Conserv: 8-e

The resto/conservation notes will go in the same place as always. Steve also said that CGC is going to try and make a differentiation between Restoration and Conservation.

Restoration will include those items that are only to improve the aesthetic appearance of the book like color touch.

Conservation will include those items which attempt to preserve the integrity of the book like tear seals.

Dry cleaning and non dis-assembly pressing are still not considered resto/conserv. by CGC. These will still get the UNIVERSAL label.

If Trimming has occured, it will be noted in 3 places. Underneath the grade, where the resto/grading comments appear, and in the place usually reserved for Pedigree designation.

Hope that helps clarify the discussion up. thumbsup2.gif

Steve said CGC just has to edit their press release. We should see an official statement w/in the next few weeks.

I heard at this weeks Baltimore show that cgc is going to a blue label for restored and unrestored books.Just think of the fortune cgc is going to make when that avalanche of purple labels come crashing through there doors for resertification.

Are they going to charge for this? No one is going to keep there purple label obviously as it will now be more difficult to differentiate between restored and unrestored.Boy are the scam artist going to have a field day on ebay with these all blue lables.What meaning does the blue color have now? Since all books will be blue,restored and unrestored. The color blue dosnt denote[mean] anything.its just a pretty color.

I heard at this weeks Baltimore show that cgc is going to a blue label for restored and unrestored books.Just think of the fortune cgc is going to make when that avalanche of purple labels come crashing through there doors for resertification.

Are they going to charge for this? No one is going to keep there purple label obviously as it will now be more difficult to differentiate between restored and unrestored.Boy are the scam artist going to have a field day on ebay with these all blue lables.What meaning does the blue color have now? Since all books will be blue,restored and unrestored. The color blue dosnt denote[mean] anything.its just a pretty color.

Read my post above.

As Scott noted, 10 will be the best (least amount) and 1 the worst (most amount) to keep things uniform. There will not be the .2, .5 gradations (ie. you will not see a 9.2, 8.5 etc... "resto grade"). Instead there will be 3 subsets: e, a , p (I may have it slightly mixed up as I didn't take notes).

Any grading format that is this complcated, and forces people to "take notes" to understand it, certainly has no chance of causing confusion with the average CGC buyer.. right? foreheadslap.gif

I don't know about anyone else, but when I envision a R-10 label, I'm thinking this puppy is a virtual cyborg, and a R-1 being slight resto. Why is CGC screwing around with the natural laws of mathematics?

I cant be by myself with this one.I think this screws the unrestored collector.Ive always told you that this vintage comicbook hobby is buried in restoration and it is killing dealer profits.There is such a tremendous amount of restored books in the hobby[you dont think they would do this if there were a few do you?]that this was bound to happen.

Ive always told you that this vintage comicbook hobby is buried in restoration and it is killing dealer profits.

Of course, and since CGC was a dealer-motivated and constructed tool for selling books at high premiums, these same dealers were probably getting angry at all the raw restored books taking up space in their inventory.

Hence the label change from Purple to Blue and the notation from Restored (bad word - yuck!!) to Apparent. confused.gif

Let me tell you something.Maybe its hard for me to be totally objective since i only buy restored books. Alot of dealers know thats all i collect.Many dealers have told me over the years that [RESTORED IS RESTORED IS RESTORED] i dont care if its a color touch or a extensive restored book,its all the same,its restored.Thats how i originally got hooked on unrestored.They kept selling me this song over the years until it became apparent how heavily restored this hobby is.Now the song has changed because.............................

thats the intire issue here. vintage comicbooks have a huge percentage of restoration.far far more than anyone ever dreamed.its like a plauge.In 1 sentence ive discribed what this issue is all about.You dont think they would have changed the grading system if the percentage of restored books was small, do you?

I don't know about anyone else, but when I envision a R-10 label, I'm thinking this puppy is a virtual cyborg, and a R-1 being slight resto. Why is CGC screwing around with the natural laws of mathematics?

How do you determine the grade of a comic? By defects, right? A book with more defects gets a lower grade, not a higher grade. This is how CGC justifies this scale.

(Note: I'm playing Devil's Advocate here. But, there is a "method to the madness").

How do you determine the grade of a comic? By defects, right? A book with more defects gets a lower grade, not a higher grade. This is how CGC justifies this scale.

But this is a Restoration Scale/Rating, from Best to Worst, right, NOT a grading by defects scale. Best is R-10 and worst is R-1.. screwy.gif

As such, it defies all logic and mathematics to make such a scale/rating essentially work backwards.

But this is a Restoration Scale/Rating, from Best to Worst, right, NOT a grading by defects scale. Best is R-10 and worst is R-1.. screwy.gif

As such, it defies all logic and mathematics to make such a scale/rating essentially work backwards.

I agree with your arguement and, as I was saying, I was playing Devil's Advocate. I'm not a spokesperson for CGC, but I did see the label and the unofficial press release. Steve told me that I could discuss anything that took place at the dinner, so I'm just relaying what I saw/read.

It was late, so I'm sure there's some stuff I'm missing (the definitions of the "e", "a", "p" subsets to be exact).

Hey guys,

A local collectible store in town is selling the superman #1 issue restored by Matt Wilson (supposedly the owner said he's the best)..

it's a purple cgc grade apparent VF 8.0 Moderate (P)...

I'm new to all this comic book collecting stuff..so how much would one pay for this?? minimum and maximum price? i want to get into collecting and i found this...but the restoration part got me rethinking about its value (which i don't know the value of restored or unrestored)

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!

Hey guys,

A local collectible store in town is selling the superman #1 issue restored by Matt Wilson (supposedly the owner said he's the best)..

I'm new to all this comic book collecting stuff..so how much would one pay for this?? minimum and maximum price? i want to get into collecting and i found this...but the restoration part got me rethinking about its value (which i don't know the value of restored or unrestored)

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!

Matt Wilson is not the best. His brother, Mark Wilson, was one of the best -- but Matt's work often sucks.

Hey guys,

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!

Are you buying for investment purposes or nostaglia?

ya but what baout the value or price i should pay??

It depends on how expertly the work was performed, what condition the book was before the work was performed, and what apparent grade the book is now. There is no way to answer that without seeing the book.

I will say though that you should probably not be buying high dollar restored books until you learn more about restoration. Buying restored books without adequate knowledge is a good way to get fleeced!