• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is CGC Going to Universal Labels for Restored Books?

128 posts in this topic

I think I heard as well that they are going to do away with the PLOD.....

As JC noted, someone mentioned this in another thread.

I just checked CGC Home Page and nothing about this.

As long as they clearly indicate the book is restored, I don;t have a problem with it. Unfortunately, there will be quite a few unsuspecting buyers that will get nailed on eBay b/c of it.

I hope that CGC does something to make it easily discernable from the current "Blue Labels". As it is, scans are easy enough to manipulate.

Vince and others, look at the "Should CGC get rid of the purple label?" in the poll subdirectory, near the end.

This has to be the dumbest idea I've ever heard of. Not only do we have to worry about the scam artists, but also the specu-dopes who sell on EBay using small scans.

Other than satisfying the dealers, investors and sellers who think using a Blue label for their Franken-books, instead of Purple, will magically drive Restored prices sky-high screwy.gif, who is pushing for this move? It's definitely not buyers, as it's tough enough to wade through the rip-off artists right now.

Just imagine how difficult it will be buying in the upcoming era of "Universal Everything", and the need to email concerning any auction or listing that does not feature a life-sized label scan.

Once again, we get confirmation of who the REAL CGC clients are and whose interests the company looks out for: the dealer community.

As it is, scans are easy enough to manipulate.

But we're not talking manipulating scans, but simply "playing innocent" and using small scans, or even those pawn shop guys who wouldn't know a comic from Johnny Mnemonic, and listing piles of CGC books using postage-sized scans.

This goes far beyond the very, very, very, very, very few true scammers who would spend the time adjusting a PLOD to Blue, risking fraud charges or worse, and enters into "a scam anyone can perpetrate AND get away with" territory.

I hope the PLOD stays. They have already set a standard; no need to change it and make it more DIFFICULT for consumers.

While we are at it, can we change the numeric grade on the book to simply "Fugly, Ugly, Fine, Looking Great, and Perfect". All of this dumbing down...

Vince and others, look at the "Should CGC get rid of the purple label?" in the poll subdirectory, near the end.

This has to be the dumbest idea I've ever heard of. Not only do we have to worry about the scam artists, but also the specu-dopes who sell on EBay using small scans.

Other than satisfying the dealers, investors and sellers who think using a Blue label for their Franken-books, instead of Purple, will magically drive Restored prices sky-high screwy.gif, who is pushing for this move? It's definitely not buyers, as it's tough enough to wade through the rip-off artists right now.

Just imagine how difficult it will be buying in the upcoming era of "Universal Everything", and the need to email concerning any auction or listing that does not feature a life-sized label scan.

Once again, we get confirmation of who the REAL CGC clients are and whose interests the company looks out for: the dealer community.

I think it's a great idea, as long as the restoration score is prominently featured on the label -- preferrably in a box as big as the regular grade, perhaps on the right hand side of the label. If a book is going to be dinged because of restoration, let it be because buyers understand the extent and quality of the restoration -- not because the label is a different color.

If a book is going to be dinged because of restoration, let it be because buyers understand the extent and quality of the restoration -- not because the label is a different color.

It doesn't matter if it is a different color or not, it is the restoration that is killing the resale value of the book, not the color! makepoint.gif

If a book is going to be dinged because of restoration, let it be because buyers understand the extent and quality of the restoration -- not because the label is a different color.

It doesn't matter if it is a different color or not, it is the restoration that is killing the resale value of the book, not the color! makepoint.gif

I wouldn't be too sure of that.

To some extent yes, to some extent no. When a book that started out as an unrestored VF 8.0 has two dots of professional color touch added and now grades apparent VF+ 8.5 slight (P) and yet now sells for unrestored VG 4.0 value, it isn't the two dots of professional color touch on the cover that are killing the value of the book. The purple label has an impact too. makepoint.gif

Scott, are they going to a numeric qualification for the restoration? Like 1 through 10?

That's what Steve said. The "10" is supposed to be the least amount/highest quality restoration, like one dot of color touch or a near-invisible tear seal. A 1 will be a frankenbook does in amateurish fashion.

Scott, are they going to a numeric qualification for the restoration? Like 1 through 10?

That's what Steve said. The "10" is supposed to be the least amount/highest quality restoration, like one dot of color touch or a near-invisible tear seal. A 1 will be a frankenbook does in amateurish fashion.

Oh, I thought they would do it the other way around.

1 = VERY little restoration

10 = the book was put back together with tools

Oh, I thought they would do it the other way around.

1 = VERY little restoration

10 = the book was put back together with tools

That's what I thought and is the way I think they SHOULD do it. But Steve's rationale was that because the number "10" is a good thing with respect to the grade of books, they want the number 10 to reflect the "best quality" and "most acceptable" forms of restoration when used as a restoration score. There is some logic to that once it's explained, but I agree that it is counterintuitive.

seems like it would be better to pick an altogether different scale for resto, saving us from sellers advertising a book as a "9," when the 9 is referring to the resto number, not the structural grade.

like A through F, or something, with F being a total hack job. add pluses and minuses and you get a nice wide range

I wouldn't be too sure of that.

Well, some people don't chase labels. And good lord! Your avatar is scary!