• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Muppets in comics?
3 3

44 posts in this topic

Just got this book in this week; and it got me to thinking: what is the earliest appearance of the Muppets in comic books?  I think this is it, at least in the US.  There was an earlier UK annual with some stories; but this is the first US comic and first book in a conventional comic format to have them that I can find with a quick online search.  If anybody knows of any earlier appearances I would be very interested:

Marvel_Super_Special_32.jpg

31 minutes ago, catman76 said:

Well there was this from 1979...

The-Comic-Muppet-Book-1979-Jenny.jpg

That looks AWESOME.  It appears to have not been released in the US, though... it definitely beats the Super Special for "First Muppets in comics" but the Super Special may still be the first US appearance.

EDIT: also, copy ordered online. :bigsmile:

Edited by OtherEric

As the what I think is the first Muppets in a US publication / comic book magazine 

AND

The fact that it was a Marvel publication who now under the same umbrella as the Muppets... I could not pass those up at around $10 shipped each.  I remember jumping on the 1st Smurfs when that could still be bought for under $50 an issue.   So... why not.. lol 

This thread is going to single-handedly cause a run on Crazy 57. Looking forward to seeing it on the Hot 10 Spec/Flip sites next week! "Why is this book blowing up? What do insiders know about the Muppets that they aren't telling? Buy now!"

That being said, I am now looking for one as well!

The first appearance of the Muppets is the Muppet Show Annual. Published in 1977. This is a UK exclusive.

EDIT:  While it does feature photos, puzzles and a cut out foldable theatre thing, there are also comic strips inside.

Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 2.11.10 PM.png

Edited by Jimmy Linguini

14 hours ago, catman76 said:

Well there was this from 1979...

The-Comic-Muppet-Book-1979-Jenny.jpg

That book does look awesome.

Off topic, but I have been watching youtube drumming videos lately. Always been a huge Whitesnake fan, but never got the resemblance between Animal and Tommy Aldridge before...but I do now. Between the hair, the facial expressions, the brutal pounding of the drums, he is the real live Animal. I was waiting for him to kick over the drum set at the end. Well worth the three minutes if you are an Animal fan (or pick any random Tommy Aldridge clip). This is all the more impressive that he is 70 years old (69 in this video). Bada$$ in every way, just like Animal. 

Edited by Shrevvy

27 minutes ago, Shrevvy said:

That book does look awesome.

Off topic, but I have been watching youtube drumming videos lately. Always been a huge Whitesnake fan, but never got the resemblance between Animal and Tommy Aldridge before...but I do now. Between the hair, the facial expressions, the brutal pounding of the drums, he is the real live Animal. I was waiting for him to kick over the drum set at the end. Well worth the three minutes if you are an Animal fan (or pick any random Tommy Aldridge clip). This is all the more impressive that he is 70 years old (69 in this video). Bada$$ in every way, just like Animal. 

I watched my guns n roses dvds a month ago of their use your illusion II

Axle introduces Matt or Steven or whatever his name was lol to turn their brains into mash rice. Your animal guy is better and not as long but still all good (thumbsu

so many drummers doh!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM