• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Muppets in comics?
3 3

44 posts in this topic

52 minutes ago, wilbil said:

telephone:idea:

I'll be the adult and offer no further comment. One thread already was locked because those of you that have a roaring Johnson for me lack the type of self-control necessary to avoid thread closures. So you go on, and on, and on, and on, and I'll stay silent, not addressing any more of your little petty grudge, whatever the heck it may be. So small a thing it likely is, it shouldn't be too difficult to ignore. . 

19 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Just got this book in this week; and it got me to thinking: what is the earliest appearance of the Muppets in comic books?  I think this is it, at least in the US.  There was an earlier UK annual with some stories; but this is the first US comic and first book in a conventional comic format to have them that I can find with a quick online search.  If anybody knows of any earlier appearances I would be very interested:

Marvel_Super_Special_32.jpg

Trying to stay on subject, I remember seeing a Purina "comic", a small booklet, maybe 12 pages or so, that was probably a premium and it featured Rowlf on the cover. It was definitely 1960s issued. I'm looking online for it but haven't seen it. I saw this in a comic collection in the 1990s, but had never seen it before or since. Might have been a regional or store issue only? I'll keep looking. 

The Muppets originated in the short-form television series Sam and Friends, which aired from 1955 to 1961. Following appearances on late night talk shows and in advertising during the 1960s, the Muppets began appearing on Sesame Street (1969–present), and attained celebrity status and international recognition through The Muppet Show (1976–1981), which received four Primetime Emmy Award wins and twenty-one nominations during its five-year run.

During the 1970s and 1980s, the Muppets diversified into theatrical films, including The Muppet Movie (1979); The Great Muppet Caper (1981); and The Muppets Take Manhattan (1984).

4 hours ago, Jimmy Linguini said:

The first appearance of the Muppets is the Muppet Show Annual. Published in 1977. This is a UK exclusive.

EDIT:  While it does feature photos, puzzles and a cut out foldable theatre thing, there are also comic strips inside.

Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 2.11.10 PM.png

Maybe this is a first comic book.  I found one from MCS. This printed in 1979.

Supermag #Vol. 4 #1

bigboy02.jpg1979

Before that Cliff ROberts did a sesame street strip in newspapers that had kermit and others, and that might have been collected. And Seame Street had an illustrated magazine going bacl to 1971, but it wasn't just a comic. It had acitvities, etc.

I am convinced I have seen something else that did not have sesame street or muppets in the title. I remember a guy looking at them at a show and the moment he seemed interested the dealer quoted some astronomical price claiming he "never" got these comics, etc. and I was flabergasted that a kids comic from the 70s would be so much..just blanking now

20 minutes ago, the blob said:

bigboy02.jpg1979

Before that Cliff ROberts did a sesame street strip in newspapers that had kermit and others, and that might have been collected. And Seame Street had an illustrated magazine going bacl to 1971, but it wasn't just a comic. It had acitvities, etc.

This is akin to what I saw in a collection dating from 1959 through 1969. Instead of Big Boy, it was Purina. Recalling the cover. Rowlf was the only Muppet on or in it, understandable it being Purina, a major advertiser of the Jimmy Dean show, where Rowlf "co-starred" in the 60s. . 

Edited by James J Johnson

6 hours ago, Shrevvy said:

That book does look awesome.

Off topic, but I have been watching youtube drumming videos lately. Always been a huge Whitesnake fan, but never got the resemblance between Animal and Tommy Aldridge before...but I do now. Between the hair, the facial expressions, the brutal pounding of the drums, he is the real live Animal. I was waiting for him to kick over the drum set at the end. Well worth the three minutes if you are an Animal fan (or pick any random Tommy Aldridge clip). This is all the more impressive that he is 70 years old (69 in this video). Bada$$ in every way, just like Animal. 

Is that the same Tommy Alridge that is on the Ozzy Randy Rhoads tribute ?

1 hour ago, JollyComics said:

The Muppets originated in the short-form television series Sam and Friends, which aired from 1955 to 1961. Following appearances on late night talk shows and in advertising during the 1960s, the Muppets began appearing on Sesame Street (1969–present), and attained celebrity status and international recognition through The Muppet Show (1976–1981), which received four Primetime Emmy Award wins and twenty-one nominations during its five-year run.

During the 1970s and 1980s, the Muppets diversified into theatrical films, including The Muppet Movie (1979); The Great Muppet Caper (1981); and The Muppets Take Manhattan (1984).

I would agree with all of this. 

I will add that Henson also did several ads others have mentioned Purina with Rowlf, but in addition to that he also did Wilkins Coffee , and the big backer of Sam and Friends Esskay meats. Any of these could have produced handouts , giveaways etc that could potentially be called comics and contain the true first appearance of what is today known as the Muppets. 

That said I was unable to locate anything that could be called the comic first appearance,  but here are some early examples. 20201116_195741.jpg.879ace5cdcc547dd4506f1c68b8b9a34.jpg20201116_195717.jpg.c8a137b0b692153b7c440e89306f952a.jpg

22 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Just got this book in this week; and it got me to thinking: what is the earliest appearance of the Muppets in comic books?  I think this is it, at least in the US.  There was an earlier UK annual with some stories; but this is the first US comic and first book in a conventional comic format to have them that I can find with a quick online search.  If anybody knows of any earlier appearances I would be very interested:

Marvel_Super_Special_32.jpg

Thsi came out two months before the Marvel Super Special

Marvel Age #17

Just wanted to thank everybody who weighed in on this.  I would love to see that 60's promo item if it ever turns up, and the Sam & Friends covers were awesome!  So little of that show survives; if you made me choose between getting back missing Doctor Who or missing Sam & Friends Sam & Friends would win.

It seems like there are too many earlier books to call the Super Special the first Muppets comic; but it may be the first US Muppets comic book (as opposed to a comic with the Muppets).

Where is the best place to start pimping my book and raising hype? I’m at a loss because usually this would be done in the modern section of the boards and clearly this book that arrived today is from 1979.

CE4D886C-1108-4C77-8934-E6E8FC3715D4.jpeg

Edited by Buzzetta

Okay... I’m ready to pimp my books as my annual just arrived from Europe. 

Should I post the first muppets question in bronze or modern?  

C3ACCB7E-7DF5-47D9-AE12-14E6010450DA.jpeg

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

I’d suggest bumping a thread in comics general for maximum exposure....

5 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

I’d suggest bumping a thread in comics general for maximum exposure....

They are not for sale anyway... lol 

I am keeping them in a box for a couple of years to see if the X-Men rumors are true and Beaker finds himself in the MCU. 

tumblr_llge0sVKfA1qbg80vo1_500.jpg

Edited by Buzzetta

2 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Sometimes you just have to toss it out.LiveInsistentBanteng-max-1mb.gif.996e493d72ca7daf3697c858a9059f6f.gif