• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The labelling of comics printed in the Philippines which reprint original US content

6 posts in this topic

Hello :)

Below is an example of a book slabbed by CGC (it's not mine) that was printed in the Philippines, and which reprints material from X-Men #101:

xm.jpg.1ed3b297c37d6ebdafd311d5972a4e88.jpg

The book was published and reprinted by National Book Store, Inc in the Philippines, some time after the US original of X-Men #101 was printed, and yet it is labelled as a Marvel Comic with the date that the associated US copy was produced, not the reprinted book itself. This does not seem right to me, to label a book as something that it evidentially is not.

May I ask how CGC would label the following book, also printed in the Philippines, which reprints original material from Amazing Spider-Man #111:

110philippine.thumb.jpg.52326c5c7da96c0c03bae6baeb444e79.jpg 110philippineb.thumb.jpg.68f00a77ae99d1493c1d82cbe5781dfa.jpg

110philippinec.thumb.jpg.891da1c9d694bd3bae24a8edb65c351c.jpg

110philippined.thumb.jpg.73bd313cf3be8001b26bd525fec1ca38.jpg

Some observations about the book:

• It has a cover number of C08-75. Nowhere is the US original issue number (#111) shown
  • It has different content to the US original - inside covers, ads back cover etc
  • It's indicia states "Reprinted in the Philippines by JMC Press" and "Exclusively Distributed by Goodwill Trading Inc"
  • It is undated

If we follow the labelling approach to the Philippines reprint of X-Men #101, the CGC label should say:

Amazing Spider-Man #111

Marvel Comics, 08/72

"Goodwill Trading Variant"

Is that correct?

3 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Hello :)

Below is an example of a book slabbed by CGC (it's not mine) that was printed in the Philippines, and which reprints material from X-Men #101:

xm.jpg.1ed3b297c37d6ebdafd311d5972a4e88.jpg

The book was published and reprinted by National Book Store, Inc in the Philippines, some time after the US original of X-Men #101 was printed, and yet it is labelled as a Marvel Comic with the date that the associated US copy was produced, not the reprinted book itself. This does not seem right to me, to label a book as something that it evidentially is not.

May I ask how CGC would label the following book, also printed in the Philippines, which reprints original material from Amazing Spider-Man #111:

110philippine.thumb.jpg.52326c5c7da96c0c03bae6baeb444e79.jpg 110philippineb.thumb.jpg.68f00a77ae99d1493c1d82cbe5781dfa.jpg

110philippinec.thumb.jpg.891da1c9d694bd3bae24a8edb65c351c.jpg

110philippined.thumb.jpg.73bd313cf3be8001b26bd525fec1ca38.jpg

Some observations about the book:

• It has a cover number of C08-75. Nowhere is the US original issue number (#111) shown
  • It has different content to the US original - inside covers, ads back cover etc
  • It's indicia states "Reprinted in the Philippines by JMC Press" and "Exclusively Distributed by Goodwill Trading Inc"
  • It is undated

If we follow the labelling approach to the Philippines reprint of X-Men #101, the CGC label should say:

Amazing Spider-Man #111

Marvel Comics, 08/72

"Goodwill Trading Variant"

Is that correct?

Try putting a note on your submission form like "Reprinted in the Philippines by JMC Press" when you send it in. CGC might discuss to consider putting the text in the label. Good luck.

Didn't know National Bookstore printed them, interesting what the paper/print quality is on these books.

1 minute ago, bobotski said:

Try putting a note on your submission form like "Reprinted in the Philippines by JMC Press" when you send it in. CGC might discuss to consider putting the text in the label. Good luck.

I don't own the book anymore Bob, alas, I'm just trying to promote a discussion aimed at getting CGC to correctly classify them - some more background in the Philippines thread here:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/302197-have-you-guys-seen-the-phillippine-variants/?do=findComment&comment=11476811

1 minute ago, bobotski said:

Didn't know National Bookstore printed them, interesting what the paper/print quality is on these books.

The print quality is quite poor on many of the copies I've seen. Not the best weather for preserving books either....

• Administrator

Good morning,

Thanks for your message.  Our graders label a book based on the information listed in the indicia of the book.  (INDICIA: The general information about the comic book, such as publisher, title, issue number, date, and copyright usually printed on the inside front page or on the interior front cover.)  Do you happen to know what this book's indicia lists as the publisher? If you come across an example of the label not matching the indicia information then that would be considered an error and we could correct that.  

If you have any questions, please let us know.  Thank you!

1 hour ago, Jennifer F. said:

Good morning,

Thanks for your message.  Our graders label a book based on the information listed in the indicia of the book.  (INDICIA: The general information about the comic book, such as publisher, title, issue number, date, and copyright usually printed on the inside front page or on the interior front cover.)  Do you happen to know what this book's indicia lists as the publisher? If you come across an example of the label not matching the indicia information then that would be considered an error and we could correct that.  

If you have any questions, please let us know.  Thank you!

Thanks Jennifer, for your reply.

There are some wider discussion points here I think in respect of how CGC should label books that were produced and distributed in foreign countries, but which include content originally published in US comic books. Those discussion points could include:

• Whether foreign publications which directly mirror a US original book (e.g. carry the same titles / cover image) should be annotated as 'editions' or versions of that original book
  • Whether foreign publications which reproduce original US content whether in full or in part should be labelled as 'reprints' as a matter of course
  • Whether foreign publications should stand as their 'own thing' when they have titles which do not exist in the US, regardless of content (i.e. they should not be referred to as, for example, 'UK Editions' where no US equivalent exists)
  • Whether the CGC label should always make reference to the original book(s) that have been reprinted

Is there anyone in the grading team who would be prepared to join a discussion thread here to discuss and perhaps agree (as far as possible) a standardised approach and label wording? I appreciate if the answer is no due to time constraints, so don't worry too much. There's just an opportunity to iron out a broad agreement and I am sure many knowledgeable members here would contribute if given the chance.