• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buying a collection
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Hi , 

I am talking to someone about buying a collection possibly . 

I havent collected in about 25 years .

When I collected I basically was mindful of selecting a good book , read it carefully and put it in a box and bag. 

The person I am speaking with says they have done basically the same thing and his comics are basically a 8.0 or better.

Is this the typical grade for a relatively conscientious person who buys their comic, reads it once and stores it?

Also asking for myself because I am going through my collection from 25-35 years ago 

Thanks!

On 11/28/2020 at 4:23 PM, Corallas said:

Hi , 

I am talking to someone about buying a collection possibly . 

I havent collected in about 25 years .

When I collected I basically was mindful of selecting a good book , read it carefully and put it in a box and bag. 

The person I am speaking with says they have done basically the same thing and his comics are basically a 8.0 or better.

Is this the typical grade for a relatively conscientious person who buys their comic, reads it once and stores it?

Also asking for myself because I am going through my collection from 25-35 years ago 

Thanks!

There's more than enough factors in what can affect the condition of a comic that you shouldn't assume anything and ensure you get a good look at them first

After buying dozens if not hundreds of collections, your typical 1980s book that was read once and put away in proper storage will grade out in the vicinity of VF. If they had a board, I'd venture 8.5 or better.

Now ,if they were stored in an attic or a damp basement, the paper quality may drag down the grade but if they were stored properly thats not an issue. 

About ten years ago, I bought 200 X-Men 151s that were bagged ,stored in a comic box in a kids closet.   I'd say about a dozen were 8.5 or less. Pulled many potential 9.6/9.8s out of them.

The couple on the end suffered a bit of curving but the middle 200 or so were great.

Edited by shadroch

Make sure you get it super cheap because it sounds like you been out the game for a bit

21 hours ago, csaag said:

There's more than enough factors in what can affect the condition of a comic that you shouldn't assume anything and ensure you get a good look at them first

21 hours ago, csaag said:

Yes i would love to look at them but cant drive across the country.

I hear you about all the factors involved .

Learning little  by little , it seems to be both an art and a tech.

If it’s across the country and you haven’t collected in many years, why are you even considering this?

are you trying to restart your collection or turn a profit?  And does shipping across country make it tougher for you to buy? This all matters

21 hours ago, shadroch said:

After buying dozens if not hundreds of collections, your typical 1980s book that was read once and put away in proper storage will grade out in the vicinity of VF. If they had a board, I'd venture 8.5 or better.

Now ,if they were stored in an attic or a damp basement, the paper quality may drag down the grade but if they were stored properly thats not an issue. 

About ten years ago, I bought 200 X-Men 151s that were bagged ,stored in a comic box in a kids closet.   I'd say about a dozen were 8.5 or less. Pulled many potential 9.6/9.8s out of them.

The couple on the end suffered a bit of curving but the middle 200 or so were great.

200 of the same issue? wow how did that happen?

Yes good information , and it at least gives me an idea of a range for a conscientious collector.

Most of the comics that is see raw in individual collections seem to be considerably less than a 9.8 price in many cases.

I'm wondering if a lot of collectors have high grade 9.6-9.8 books that they sell cheap and just don't want to get graded or don't want to hassle with , and its

still possible to find super quality raw books.

It sound like you got a boatload which is cool.

Just now, revat said:

If it’s across the country and you haven’t collected in many years, why are you even considering this?

are you trying to restart your collection or turn a profit?  And does shipping across country make it tougher for you to buy? This all matters

I got caught up in the excitement and dare i say momentum of seeing books and the mystery of it all if that makes sense. 

I would say I am a bit interested in both . I do need to get some of my books graded and pressed so have been looking at good pressers and educating 

myself on the grading process. Sorry Jumping around a bit here.

I thought I could get a good deal and have some fun in the process and some of the books looked promising and they were some of the ones I remember and I figured if it was a great price , why not .

So yes maybe jumping the gun a bit.