• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can a detached cover ever get reattached without a PLOD?

12 posts in this topic

Depends on how the cover is detached. If there’s a way to tuck the cover back under the staple because of a tear where no real restoration is performed, technically, it’s no longer detached (hanging by a thread, maybe) would be my guess

5 hours ago, B2D327 said:

Depends on how the cover is detached. If there’s a way to tuck the cover back under the staple because of a tear where no real restoration is performed, technically, it’s no longer detached (hanging by a thread, maybe) would be my guess

This. The answer is yes, and this is the sole condition I can think of where CGC won't rule for restoration, if there's a clean slit, the paper is all there, the staple unopened but loose enough, that is, enough slack between the shank of the staple that holds the paper and the paper itself to gently "massage" the flap back under the beam of the staple. Of course, after that, with any type of more than gentle page turning or handling of the cover, separating it from the splash page to maybe count pages, or examine the inside of the spine for c.t., chances are that it will once again detach. 

Edited by James J Johnson

2 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

This. The answer is yes, and this is the sole condition I can think of where CGC won't rule for restoration, if there's a clean slit, the paper is all there, the staple unopened but loose enough, that is, enough slack between the shank of the staple that holds the paper and the paper itself to gently "massage" the flap back under the beam of the staple. Of course, after that, with any type of more than gentle page turning or handling of the cover, separating it from the splash page to maybe count pages, or examine the inside of the spine for c.t., chances are that it will once again detach. 

Hmmm, no way to know if that is possible based on crappy pictures on ebay though. the staples look very nice. oh well, i'll have to wait until something else comes along.

On 12/2/2020 at 10:42 AM, Motor City Rob said:

I might be missing the point, but why would replacement staples be needed to reattach a cover? If it can be reattached, why not use the existing staples?

Rust is one reason. Bent or damaged, showing corrosion, etc

4 hours ago, Motor City Rob said:

But if the staples are in good shape, no need to replace in order to reattached the cover. Loosening might help in order get the paper under the staple. 

Correct. There would be no reason to replace a good staple. 

What is the reason for purchasing the book? Is it for you, or to flip? If it’s for you...you can always use tape to attach the cover again. It will get a universal grade, but CGC will grade it as if the tape was not present and the cover was detached. Only bonus to doing this is the aesthetic look of the comic.