• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Buy the book, not the grade"
2 2

37 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, namisgr said:

Buy the book, not the grade.  Same book, two grades, the lower nicer than the heavily pressed higher one:

image.png.474b1d135572dde10165e15332e5d8ed.png  image.png.5fa2a7bf1da933e043456f1097213b19.png

Why do they both have a capital R pencilled into the cover? The two R's are nearly identical in form and placement.

On 12/4/2020 at 7:59 AM, BaronSamedi said:

People seem to buy a number in the right hand corner, taking away the validity of the book and the effort put into it by the writers and artists involved in the process. I think it's insulting to the tasks at hand. It's similar to drywallers and coming into a recently framed house and covering it with their cheap plaster of Paris or whatever drywall is made of. Buying the book means you bought it because of the effort put forth by people like Stan Lee and Jack Kirby.

Hmmmm......what ever do you mean

48 minutes ago, tvindy said:

Why do they both have a capital R pencilled into the cover? The two R's are nearly identical in form and placement.

They're not nearly identical, they are identical, as it's the same book.  Originally a 9.2 (that I owned raw and submitted for grading), it was cracked, pressed, and regraded by a later owner - CGC gave it a higher numerical grade despite the book looking worse than it did as a 9.2, with the pages sticking way out from the cover.

The moral is to buy the comic that looks the best to you, not necessarily the one with the highest CGC numerical grade.

Edited by namisgr

7 minutes ago, namisgr said:
48 minutes ago, tvindy said:

They're not nearly identical, they are identical, as it's the same book.  Originally a 9.2 (that I owned raw and submitted for grading), it was cracked, pressed, and regraded by a later owner - CGC gave it a higher numerical grade despite the book looking worse than it did as a 9.2, with the pages sticking way out from the cover.

The moral is to buy the comic that's looks the best to you, not necessarily the one with the highest CGC numerical grade.

Instead of the spine being re-aligned, it looks like the cover shrunk.  

3 hours ago, namisgr said:

The moral is to buy the comic that looks the best to you, not necessarily the one with the highest CGC numerical grade.

The colors do look a bit more vibrant in the 9.6. That could be from the cleaning. Or maybe it was just two different cameras.

1 hour ago, tvindy said:

The colors do look a bit more vibrant in the 9.6. That could be from the cleaning. Or maybe it was just two different cameras.

I wonder if it's a coincidence that the labels also look completely different...

5 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

I wonder if it's a coincidence that the labels also look completely different...

Yes, the 9.6 label almost looks purple.

4 hours ago, namisgr said:

The second scan has the contrast and the red saturation jacked up.

Ah, that explains it. 

17 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

This could pose that question....completely different superficial appearances to the book with the same grade/price tag

By the appearance of the book inside the slab

Side by side for your viewing pleasure.

20201113_161125~2.jpg

I'm seein' double double...  lol 

On 12/13/2020 at 10:19 AM, The Lions Den said:

I agree...

On 12/12/2020 at 4:30 PM, namisgr said:

In a lot of cases, that's easier said than done.  I'm SURE that a lot of people base their buying decision on how close the grade is to !0.0 rather than on the appearance of the book...

33 minutes ago, Yes I Canada said:

I'd guess that those people are under 30 years old and just started collecting in the last few years?

Not necessarily...psychologically, the grade has to be in the back of your mind.  It's only human nature.