• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie question, shipping for Gemini Mailers?
1 1

13 posts in this topic

You can use First Class postage if it's not over 16 ounces, so that is the cheapest, probably less than $6, and it goes by zones.  You can use the mailer naked, or put it into a 16x10 poly envelope.  No free insurance is included.

It will fit into a Legal Size Priority Mail Envelope (not Letter size), around $8.  Insurance of $50 is included, $100 if using commercial rates (like eBay labels, Stamps.com, Pirate Ship, etc.)

The above methods have tracking provided.

Media mail can work for Gemini mailers, if it's any type of a book - paperback, hardcover.  Comics don't qualify, as they have advertising within and are considered magazines, a different class.  And for the same reason, magazines themselves are not eligible.

People who ship comics by media are violating postal regulations.  They'll be on double secret probation. 

You can sometimes "get away with it".  If the postal inspectors see it, the package can arrive postage due.  The inspectors, or any clerk along the chain, can open a media mail package to examine the contents for compliance. 

I have had packages opened, and they are not careful with that razor knife.  Then they repack it, reseal it, and stamp it "inspected by usps".

And they upcharge to Priority rates.  They now can also electronically upcharge the SENDER, posting a charge to their eBay account, or commercial shipping account like Pirate Ship, Stamps.com, etc. 

7 hours ago, Lightning55 said:

You can use First Class postage if it's not over 16 ounces, so that is the cheapest, probably less than $6, and it goes by zones.  You can use the mailer naked, or put it into a 16x10 poly envelope.  No free insurance is included.

It will fit into a Legal Size Priority Mail Envelope (not Letter size), around $8.  Insurance of $50 is included, $100 if using commercial rates (like eBay labels, Stamps.com, Pirate Ship, etc.)

The above methods have tracking provided.

Excellent info, but I believe 13 ounces is the cut-off for first class packages, unless they changed it. 

2 hours ago, PopKulture said:

Excellent info, but I believe 13 ounces is the cut-off for first class packages, unless they changed it. 

At the retail counter, the limit for First Class is 13 ounces.  Then you go to Priority.

It's not really the weight that causes the limit.  At one time in the past, the high end of the First Class rates overlapped the low end of the Priority Rates.  The retail price for 14 ounces would be higher than the base price for Priority.  So the chart stops at 13, because it would be unwise for the consumer to pay more for First Class than Priority.  I'm not sure that is still true, as Priority Rates have gone up quite a bit (remember $4.50??).  But it's true that the First Class table stops at 13 ounces on Retail.

When you use a commercial service, like Stamps.com, eBay Labels, Pirate Ship, etc., the rates are lower in general than retail.  So there are still increments on the First Class table up to 15.99999 ounces that beat the base Priority price.  You can use those rates there, while in retail they are moot.

Edited by Lightning55

18 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Does First class also offer insurance?

According to this screenshot on the USPS site, yes, it is available.  That would be at its incremental rates.  There's an insurance rate chart on that site....somewhere.

You would want to factor into your decision that Priority includes some Free Insurance.  It's $50 at Retail, $100 free at commercial.  First Class plus insurance might total more than Priority with free insurance.  So you would just go directly to Priority in those cases.

Screenshot_2020-12-03 Shipping Insurance and Delivery Services USPS.png

Edited by Lightning55

I had no idea comics were ineligible for Media Mail.  Good to know.  That said, I've never had any blowback either.  I'm guessing, at least lately, USPS has too much on their plate for that sort of stuff.  Did some light reading just now and the thing about what constitutes advertising, as well as the extreme unevenness the rules are applied and interpreted, is pretty interesting.

I'll probably continue doing Media Mail (since most of my stuff is over 16 ounces) as my local USPS (small--one person running the store at a time) knows I ship comics media mail all the time and couldn't care less.  (I also did a large video game collector's edition game just a few weeks ago, which was a huge box with a statue and a bunch of other stuff, but it also included a large art book, and she was like 'it's fine, it's fine.'  Though I understand someone down the chain might ding it.)