• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AUUGH

41 posts in this topic

A few notable ones I wish I had back.

Werewolf by Night 32 in 9.8 W. Sold for $15,000.00 which was a record then. 

FF 48 in 9.6 White Pages. Used it as trade bait in a deal for a 5.5 AF 15. I no longer have the AF 15.

Star Wars #1 35 cent variant in 9.0. The dealer I bought it from is a friend and he asked if I could sell it back to him, which I did for a profit...but compared to todays value I got about 50% of what it is worth.

TOS 39 in 7.0. Sold way too soon for $3,800.00

The 3 copies of Hulk 181 in 9.6 I sold around $2,500.00 each at the time. Fortunately I kept a copy.

Like others have said...made a good profit on them and purchased more stuff, paid off my mortgage, so bitter sweet about it. 

14 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

what year was that ? because $500 used to be a TON of money... even in the early 90's

Somewhere around 1995. I felt great about the deal because of the price and also because I sold it to a young kid in high school who had saved his money, and just like me, it was his first major key.

7 hours ago, kav said:

try sellin ASM 129 for $5.

In early 90’s, had a NM+ raw 129 at a show as one of my display books. $20. Decided to sell because it wasn’t gem mint necessary to get into my collection. In fact, the only flaw was a minuscule production bindery tear that now is not considered a flaw. Before the show opened another dealer spent 10 min trying to beat me down to $15. I stuck to my guns and he eventually bought it for $20.

Pretty sure he immediately flipped it to one his regularly customers who had it on their want list, probably netting $10. 

5 minutes ago, joeypost said:

A few notable ones I wish I had back.

Werewolf by Night 32 in 9.8 W. Sold for $15,000.00 which was a record then. 

FF 48 in 9.6 White Pages. Used it as trade bait in a deal for a 5.5 AF 15. I no longer have the AF 15.

Star Wars #1 35 cent variant in 9.0. The dealer I bought it from is a friend and he asked if I could sell it back to him, which I did for a profit...but compared to todays value I got about 50% of what it is worth.

TOS 39 in 7.0. Sold way too soon for $3,800.00

The 3 copies of Hulk 181 in 9.6 I sold around $2,500.00 each at the time. Fortunately I kept a copy.

Like others have said...made a good profit on them and purchased more stuff, paid off my mortgage, so bitter sweet about it. 

good post and reminds me of an old school coin dealer i used to sell to

every time i sold him something he would comment on how "you can't eat coins" and " a washer/dryer is more important than these coins" etc etc ... he kept things in

their proper perspective for me ....

10 hours ago, toro said:

That feeling you get when you see a book you once owned sell for $400+ more then you sold it for years ago.  Anyone else every see their old books sell for multiples of what they sold theirs for?  (Mine was the Blue Bolt #107 that just sold on C-Link)

Charlie Brown AAUGH! - Mycrom Art

Every single GA book I’ve sold pretty much falls into this category, at least in terms of percent. The only saving grace is when I used the money from the sale to buy more GA. There will come a day when this is no longer true (actually, the practice of so many consistently offering their books for >>>GPA means that day way very well be here), but the tenet “you can’t go wrong buying HG GA” has guided my buying for the last 20 years. 

Pretty sure the first CGC GA book I ever sold was the Cosmic Aeroplane National Comics 11. I knew almost nothing of GA at the time. One of many books I am sick about selling, because now I appreciate it and want it as a keeper. And for almost every HG GA I sell now there is a little voice in my head saying “you know this is a mistake.”

i had a lovely presenting AF15 4.0 that i sent to cgc for upgrade evaluation. they told me that a press would not improve it so i kept it as is. eventually i paid a great deal of money (8-9k) to swap it for a nice 4.5 copy. 

fast forward a little bit and the book ended up pressed twice by cgc by two different owners, and lo and behold, it is now a 4.5. and i'm out like 8-9k. 

18 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

seeing a Mask Comics #1 and #2 in same grade as the copies I sold for $3000 sell for $ 48,000. Yeah definitely an "AAUGH!" moment.

Perhaps the best example. Mask Comics are great books but the frenzy over them for last couple years is off the charts. Never seen such a steep and progressive rate of increase for a GA book, rivaled only by early key Archies.

5 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

i had a lovely presenting AF15 4.0 that i sent to cgc for upgrade evaluation. they told me that a press would not improve it so i kept it as is. eventually i paid a great deal of money (8-9k) to swap it for a nice 4.5 copy. 

fast forward a little bit and the book ended up pressed twice by cgc by two different owners, and lo and behold, it is now a 4.5. and i'm out like 8-9k. 

You paid 9K to upgrade from a 4.0 to 4.5? :whatthe:

At least you didn’t buy your 4.0 back as a 4.5:tonofbricks:

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

Just now, Artboy99 said:

you cant take them with you. :smile:

Ok-dont sell your comics till youre 60!

Or maybe you could sell your comics the way it works with houses-you buy the comic, but ya still gotta pay some amt every year or the comic gets foreclosed-

No and I don't care about that. The ones that keep me up at night kicking myself are all the comics, and anything really, that I passed up on when I saw it for sale cheap and now I will never be able to afford it ever again. Like the time I passed up a Batman #20 for 40 bucks and way too many more to list.

I sold my Walking Dead 1 9.8 a week before the series aired for $470.00 6 months later it was hitting 1k. I also sold my issue #2 9.8 the same week. I don't follow the prices of those book anymore because I will start to :cry:

Edited by mysterymachine

With all of the talk about ASM 300... 

I never believed in the book... but I figured I would get a copy.  I saw a 9.6 for sale on one site and grabbed it at auction and then to justify "wasting" my money like that I sold the 9.4 for about the same.  It was basically a free upgrade for the cost of shipping.

I should have just shelled out $325 and kept both. 

Edited by Buzzetta

I have no regrets selling any comic book. I go with the Steve Borock rule - never be ashamed of making a profit. I was happy to sell a book for $1400 in 2000 that I paid $225 for. That book is now worth $50K, but what can you do. Original art on the other hand? Eesh. I had a pretty nice portfolio of original art in 1982, which I sold off for beer money in college. Art wasn't really worth anything. It surely is now.

Please note that I did own the MTU 70 cover - I owned other pages from each of those books but can't find them in my cursory searches. My Neal Adams pages from JLA 94 were MUCH better - they had Deadman on them.